Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muhammad Ali vs Ernie Shavers watched by 57% of the US TV Audience.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muhammad Ali vs Ernie Shavers watched by 57% of the US TV Audience.

I still find it shocking the numbers Heavyweight boxing used to do.

Holmes vs Shavers was watched by 40+ Million.......

Mayweather -Canelo couldv'e done similar numbers if it wasn't PPV.

Most casual sports fans are not willing to pay for fights.

Comment

Originally posted by EGC View Post
      Mayweather -Canelo couldv'e done similar numbers if it wasn't PPV.

Most casual sports fans are not willing to pay for fights.
      There is no way in Hell.. 57% of the United States will watch Mayweather Canelo. I will find it shocking if 57% of the USA even watched 2009 Pac vs Mayweather.

I think you are severely over estimating the popularity of boxing now a days.. (as you should since you post on a boxing forum)

I think Mayweather-Canelo on ABC will do around a 30% share.... at it's peak and that will be insane in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by WladsChin View Post
        There is no way in Hell.. 57% of the United States will watch Mayweather Canelo. I will find it shocking if 57% of the USA even watched 2009 Pac vs Mayweather.

I think you are severely over estimating the popularity of boxing now a days.. (as you should since you post on a boxing forum)

I think Mayweather-Canelo on ABC will do around a 30% share.... at it's peak and that will be insane in itself.
        If high level fights being shown on public TV became the norm as it was in the past, more people would be drawn to the sport and really big fights would capture attention of the entire nation.

Boxing can go back to having huge ratings, the public just needs to be reacquainted with the sport.

Comment

You have to keep in mind things were different then - far fewer TV channels to choose from, no internet, no mobile phones. It was a different era with less choice. Now we're living in a time where you watch almost anything you want on demand in an instant. I can't see boxing reaching the same sort of heights in terms of numbers, even if mega-fights were broadcast on public TV for free.

Comment

Originally posted by F!x View Post
            You have to keep in mind things were different then - far fewer TV channels to choose from, no internet, no mobile phones. It was a different era with less choice. Now we're living in a time where you watch almost anything you want on demand in an instant. I can't see boxing reaching the same sort of heights in terms of numbers, even if mega-fights were broadcast on public TV for free.
            also, that fight wasnt far from a time when it was only mostly baseball and boxing in the US. Thats another reason why boxing was huge. There was no NBA & NFL. Then they came along by that time and were big but they were still growing while boxing was peaking and now starting to come back down. When those other 2 became the dominant sports then boxing along with everything else you named, then boxing faded to the back page

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
              also, that fight wasnt far from a time when it was only mostly baseball and boxing in the US. Thats another reason why boxing was huge. There was no NBA & NFL. Then they came along by that time and were big but they were still growing while boxing was peaking and now starting to come back down. When those other 2 became the dominant sports then boxing along with everything else you named, then boxing faded to the back page
              This is a great observation....... if you looked at the top stars from Forbes of the 80's and 90's............. half of the top paid American athletes were Heavyweights + Leonard.........

Now it's just Mayweather.. everyone else is an athlete from other sports.

Razer Ruddock was at one point getting more money than half the NBA All Stars.. and Ruddock was never even a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                Do you think Floyd would have been a bigger draw then Ali if they were around at the same time?

Comment

Working...
                X