No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin will return on Dec 8 but it will not be on HBO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
    Or he can fight on ESPN FNF. Epix another option.
    When does FNF start back up again?

Comment

Friday Night fights usually starts in January. Id like Epix to pick up the Golovkin fight.

Comment

problem with building fighters are reasons like this. They praise this guy for casual fans to watch him and now he wont appear on hbo for 9 mons to 1 year. hbo needs to sign top talen to exclusive contracts so we know about the fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
          WTF.... this guy has never been 12 rounds or has been in a fight that was sanctioned for 12.... not like it'd matter though
          The problem is, HBO didn't have a date, and they can't afford to fight anyone better unless it's on HBO or Showtime. TV money is essential.

I'm just speculating, but I think if it's Julien Marie Sainte (WBA #5) at least it will be televised in France.

Comment

Any TV anywhere would be fine for a quick tune-up. hopefully they can find someone who has a hometown following and go into a venue there and take/make some more fans.

Does he have a location in Europe where he can fight and bring a gate himself? If so, maybe he could fight an American like Ishe who will travel so that the fight can still get on TV here and get a decent viewing audience since Ishe is somewhat known.

I wish he could stay on HBO, but there are so many good fans overseas that I don't think it matters for someone like GGG who will probably end up being a traveling champion anyway. He needs exposure/money anywhere and now that he has a belt, he can finally monetize himself. Wherever he fights, unless it's another champ, it should be against someone who has hometown/regional fans and he may be able to make a quick rise for his age.

Comment

Originally posted by JeromyM View Post
              Friday Night fights usually starts in January. Id like Epix to pick up the Golovkin fight.
              IMO, he can make FNF in March then.... tune up for a potential Geale/Pirog fight

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
                Does he have a location in Europe where he can fight and bring a gate himself? If so, maybe he could fight an American like Ishe who will travel so that the fight can still get on TV here and get a decent viewing audience since Ishe is somewhat known.
                He could draw a big crowd in Kazakhstan, but I imagine it's difficult to find someone who would be willing to fight him there.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  i agree. a true stay busy fight should be off of hbo. he certainly hasn't earned a spot on hbo against a bum. that's reserved for the berto's of the world only,
                  This...I'm sure there will be at least 1-2 fights like this on HBO before years end; why can't it be Golovkin vs Macklin/Murray/Lee...

Comment

Originally posted by RichardPerez View Post
                    problem with building fighters are reasons like this. They praise this guy for casual fans to watch him and now he wont appear on hbo for 9 mons to 1 year. hbo needs to sign top talen to exclusive contracts so we know about the fighters.
                    They tried that with Alexander and Bradley. They promised them a payday for a million bucks in addtion to their fight together. The fight sucked, and it used up a quarter of their budget for the year. Long term deals aren't great for excitment.

Comment

Ranking-wise, the best fight that can be made is Golovkin/Murray, but Murray seems to already have a date set in stone. Sainte is the 2nd best option, so might as well make it happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X