• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry Holmes is extremely overrated

Muhammad Ali tried too hard to be racist

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
      Jofre beat Fighting Harada both times

Not sure if it's unpopular as it's not really discussed much I don't think, just throwing it out there.
      Even if that was true, and thats debatable, I dont think the Harada wins would catapult him to top 10.

I personally just dont see any argument for Jofre being rated above, I dunno, lets say
      Robinson
      Armstrong
      Greb
      Ali
      Duran
      Charles
      Moore
      Langford
      Pep
      Whitaker
      (not in any order)

EDIT...I see that you were questioning the decisions, whoops, ha. It just was too closely related to mine to pass up.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
        Even if that was true, and thats debatable, I dont think the Harada wins would catapult him to top 10.

I personally just dont see any argument for Jofre being rated above, I dunno, lets say
        Robinson
        Armstrong
        Greb
        Ali
        Duran
        Charles
        Moore
        Langford
        Pep
        Whitaker
        (not in any order)
        It wasn't a response to yours ^, it was just an unpopular opinion.

To be honest I've just gave up on trying to make a list, way way too many things to take in and consider with each and every boxer.

Tried making even a top 15 and just couldn't do it, made some in the past but I could look back now and change it completely.

Comment

no, this video was in 66, at Middleweight right after the Giardello win and before he fought Foster. It was their first fight.
          Ahhh, of course. That fight actually slipped my mind somehow!

Either way, as you mentioned it was more balance than being hurt and Griffith had pretty good timing.

That was the first time he was offically knocked down (If we don't count Tiger-Giardello 3 where he Tiger's glove clearly touched the canvass but again that was due to balance and he wasn't remotely hurt)

And, to go through the list of fighters he fought to not be hurt before Griffith (and he wasn't really hurt in the first Griffith fight) and to not really be hurt again until getting his jaw sent into the front row from Bob Foster for has to be in the argument for one of the all time great chins.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Ahhh, of course. That fight actually slipped my mind somehow!

Either way, as you mentioned it was more balance than being hurt and Griffith had pretty good timing.

That was the first time he was offically knocked down (If we don't count Tiger-Giardello 3 where he Tiger's glove clearly touched the canvass but again that was due to balance and he wasn't remotely hurt)

And, to go through the list of fighters he fought to not be hurt before Griffith (and he wasn't really hurt in the first Griffith fight) and to not really be hurt again until getting his jaw sent into the front row from Bob Foster for has to be in the argument for one of the all time great chins.
            hmm, I dont know. it was undoubtedly the punch that put Tiger down, even if it was just to his knee. and the fact that Tiger was stumbling around after a bit and almost got dropped again makes me suspect the punch did hurt him.

Me saying that Tiger doesnt have the greatest chin of all time is not a knock on him, I think his was great. Its just that I still think others have better chins than him.

Comment

hmm, I dont know. it was undoubtedly the punch that put Tiger down, even if it was just to his knee. and the fact that Tiger was stumbling around after a bit and almost got dropped again makes me suspect the punch did hurt him.
              Of course it was the punch, it was a legit KD no question. Just like in Giardello 3.

He was buzzed but he wasn't badly hurt. He rarely was badly hurt and that is probably the closest he was in many many fights before and after (Pre-Foster)

Griffith could punch also. He had real deceptive pop in his shots.

He was by no means a brutal one punch power puncher but if he timed you and caught you he could hurt you.

Me saying that Tiger doesnt have the greatest chin of all time is not a knock on him, I think his was great. Its just that I still think others have better chins than him.
              I know you're not knocking him for saying that, by all means, there is a pretty vast list to chose from in terms of chins.

And after all, I did just say it was 'arguable' and until the day I die I will always stand by the stance that Tiger argubally could take a punch as good as anyone.

Comment

Jack Johnson is overrated.

Boxers from the early 1900's where less evolved than those that came a few generations later.

Roy Jones Jr. is the most gifted fighter of all time.

Comment

Big punchers always get overrated.

Exciting fighter does NOT equal great fighter.

Poet

Comment

Pernell Whitaker is an overrated boxer that no one outside the U.S. ever heard of.

Next, Winky Wright is an overrated defensive fighter who in reality was a boring fighter inside the ring.

Bernard Hopkins although winning the match against Jean Pascal is lackluster because of the young fighter gassing out mid-rounds. It made an ancient boxer look 20 years younger than he should be.

Old time fighters of the past are all overrated. No one of this generation especially under 30 years old should be judging how great those fighters were because most evidences found were written with biased (promotional, cultural bias, personal vendetta by the writer, etc.). Also, old time boxers weren't as athletic or as well conditioned as the fighters today who can afford i.e. Pacquiao, Duckweather, Rios who hired a conditioning coach like Donaire, and others. That is why old records are being broken left and right.

I think the sexiest females in the world lives in Eastern Europe. Followed by South Americans then by Asians. Mixed girls especially of black, Asian, white, or Hispanic flavors look to me to be the best blend of female you can get.

Unpopular views, Republicans should be eliminated from Congress and in U.S. politics because most of them are closet ****sexuals who likes to sleep with men unlike the Democrats who keep getting caught sleeping with women. When I meet a Republican voter they are dumb, if they are intelligent they are mostly smug pretentious idiots who thinks they are god's gift on Earth, has a low paying job, if they have a high paying job it is usually contracted through the military/government, alcoholics, and talk bad about their wives.

Yea, come at me.

Comment

Sugar Ray CLEARLY beat Hagler. Wasn't even close.

Floyd Mayweather would spank Ray Robinson.

Jack Dempsey was a cheap shot artist, like most fighters in that era, because there was no neutral corner rule after knockdowns. I was watching a Lamotta fight a while back and I couldn't believe how he knocked his opponent down and then stood over him so he could hit the guy again before he got up.

Lennox Lewis is the only British fighter who wasn't overrated.

Roy Jones had a good chin.
                      Last edited by RespekonMyName; 07-11-2011, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X