No announcement yet.

Nicholas Brothers >>> The Jackson 5

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
    Race aside, I'm sadden that such talent, technique and skill is dissolving away generation by generation.
    I agree and I wonder when the next musical phenom( Elvis, Michael, etc.) will come along. It would have to be the next generation because everyone from this generation will be comparing anyone who comes along and tries to Mike just like they did mike when comparing him to Elvis.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Clips View Post
      actually, Elvis himself stated that in the south, he went and hung out around the railroad tracks and watched all the bluesman perform, singing and dancing and copied their moves at an early age. Same as Little Richard, James Brown...Michael Jackson's moves were a replica of James Brown with some originality...Elvis had NONE!!!!!
      BULL****! we all know Forrest Gump taught Elvis how to dance..
      you can never give a white man credit can you?

Comment

About covers everything i just like him because he took the time to learn all kinds of music and didn't care if it was taboo to listen to other forms of music. Although I don't really care for much of his music myself.
        Early musical influences

Initial influences originated from his family's attendance at the Assembly of God.[17] Rolling Stone wrote: "Gospel pervaded Elvis' character and was a defining and enduring influence all of his days."[39] Presley himself stated that gospel music became an important part of his life: "it was as natural as dancing. A way to escape from the problems."[40] Throughout his life—in the recording studio, in private, or after concerts—Presley joined with others singing and playing gospel music at informal sessions.[41]

The young Presley frequently listened to Mississippi Slim’s radio show on Tupelo’s WELO.[42] Before he was a teenager, music was already his "consuming passion".[42] In Memphis, Presley went to record stores that had jukeboxes and listening booths. He knew all of Hank Snow’s songs[43] and he loved records by Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Roy Acuff, Ernest Tubb, Ted Daffan, Jimmie Rodgers, Jimmie Davis and Bob Wills."[44] He was also an audience member at the all-night white—and black—"gospel sings" downtown.[45]

In 1948, Elvis and his family moved to Memphis, Tennessee into new musical surroundings. The region's radio stations played "race records" featuring music that became known as rhythm and blues. Memphis had a strong tradition of blues music and Presley frequented blues as well as hillbilly venues. Many of his future recordings were inspired by local African American composers and recording artists, including Arthur Crudup and Rufus Thomas.[46] B.B. King has recalled that he knew Presley before he was popular when they both used to frequent Beale Street.[47]

Presley "was an untrained musician who played [guitar and piano] entirely by ear. 'I don't read music,' he confessed, 'but I know what I like.' ... Because he was not a songwriter, Presley [would] rarely [have] material prepared for recording sessions..." When later, as a young singer, he "ventured into the recording studio he was still heavily influenced by the songs he had heard on the jukebox and radio."[48]

Comment

Working...
        X