Diet for abs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet for abs?

Right i want to fight in the summer

As i do boxing twice a week with a pro and running when im not boxing i also want to sort my diet out.

And i was just wondering what would be a good menu to get decent abs ?

abs are muscles, you have to develop them via working out.

once you develop pronounced abdominal muscles you then have to shed waistline fat in order for them to show...

i'll forever recommend low carb for best fat shedding

Comment

Originally posted by - v e t - View Post
      once you develop pronounced abdominal muscles you then have to shed waistline fat in order for them to show...
      A bit misleading there. You can't "shed waistline fat", spot reduction does not happen, full stop. You have to lose fat over your whole body. Your stomach fat might be the first to go, or it might be the last, but it's more likely to happen somewhere inbetween, and very gradually at that.

If you're planning to fight, and you want to keep the fat off, I would recommend to avoid low-carb dieting. Low carb diets are great for shedding pounds quickly, but for sustainable weight loss, not so much. This is because a lot of the initial loss of pounds is pure water weight. Not to mention the fact that you need carbs for energy for boxing, and a lack of them will detrimentally effect you.

I would recommend you keep a balanced diet, but eat at a caloric deficit. I could go into more detail on this, but it basically comes down to this; if you use up more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. Use a decent calculator that takes into account how much activity you do to work out what your daily caloric intake should be, and then subtract about 200 calories off of that, and figure out your meals from there.

Considering you're doing a lot of activity, bump up your protein intake to sustain muscle during weight loss. Also, I would recommend to not have a deficit of any more than 10%. The key is for it to be sustainable, no point losing it all in a matter of weeks, and losing loads of muscle and ****ing up your immune system whilst you're at it. Not to mention you would immediately put it all back on as soon as you started eating again (minus the muscle).

Comment

Originally posted by as646 View Post
        A bit misleading there. You can't "shed waistline fat", spot reduction does not happen, full stop. You have to lose fat over your whole body. Your stomach fat might be the first to go, or it might be the last, but it's more likely to happen somewhere inbetween, and very gradually at that.

If you're planning to fight, and you want to keep the fat off, I would recommend to avoid low-carb dieting. Low carb diets are great for shedding pounds quickly, but for sustainable weight loss, not so much. This is because a lot of the initial loss of pounds is pure water weight. Not to mention the fact that you need carbs for energy for boxing, and a lack of them will detrimentally effect you.

I would recommend you keep a balanced diet, but eat at a caloric deficit. I could go into more detail on this, but it basically comes down to this; if you use up more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. Use a decent calculator that takes into account how much activity you do to work out what your daily caloric intake should be, and then subtract about 200 calories off of that, and figure out your meals from there.

Considering you're doing a lot of activity, bump up your protein intake to sustain muscle during weight loss. Also, I would recommend to not have a deficit of any more than 10%. The key is for it to be sustainable, no point losing it all in a matter of weeks, and losing loads of muscle and ****ing up your immune system whilst you're at it. Not to mention you would immediately put it all back on as soon as you started eating again (minus the muscle).
        do you have to shed the fat from the waisteline in order to expose your abs or not???

misleading my ass

Comment

now THAT is fucking misleading

Comment

Cheers yeah boxing requires alot of energy lol. Cheers for the help mate appreciate it

Comment

do you have to shed the fat from the waisteline in order to expose your abs or not???

misleading my ass
              If you were to tell the average joe off the street to try and "shed waistline fat", chances are he would just start doing sit-ups every night in some misguided and ill-informed attempt at spot reduction.

So I stick by my point; without further elabouration, it was misleading.

now THAT is fucking misleading

My point wasn't that they a poor method for losing weight over a sustained period of time, but that they are a poor choice. Sure, it works, but that doesn't mean you should do it.
              Last edited by as646; 02-25-2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

If you were to tell the average joe off the street to try and "shed waistline fat", chances are he would just start doing sit-ups every night in some misguided and ill-informed attempt at spot reduction.

So I stick by my point; without further elabouration, it was misleading.
                this is a supposed boxer.... i've known you can't spot reduce since 9th grade biology.... if its not known by now that isnt my problem

My point wasn't that they a poor method for losing weight over a sustained period of time, but that they are a poor choice. Sure, it works, but that doesn't mean you should do it.
                find me a more detrimental macronutrient that over 99% of the people in the civilized world consume that is more detrimental to their health and more addictive than carbohydrate

you can't so dont bother...

go eat your carbs, enjoy diabetes and renal failure but dont mislead someone else out of your OWN ignorance.... its one thing for them to be misled by their own

Comment

Not all carbs are created equal. A lower carb diet that still includes a variety of complex (slow digesting, low glycemic) carbs such as millet, quinoa, sweet potato is your best bet. Yes you do need the carbs for energy in boxing, absolutely but you need to consume the right ones at the right time.
                  Limiting carb intake will be your best bet to expose ab muscles

Comment

If you have done some stomach work before, the muscles are there, you just have to shed the fat to show the muscles. Instead of so much long distance running, try HIIT tabata routines. They are short, 20 minute routines but they will have your heart rate up to about 85-90% of your max heart rate.

It's 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off for 4 minutes straight then a 1 minute break. Repeat for 4 sets, you can do it with a variety of exercises. It melts fat away...I was 173 and looking crappy 2 and a half weeks ago. Been doing the workouts 3 times a week, nothing else, no weights, jogging, nothing.

I'm down to 164 and losing more every day. Remember, these are only 20 minute workouts..my abs are already showing pretty good and i have yet to do the first ab exercise (I've done the P90X one before for a while though)

here are some examples:

Last edited by mathed; 02-26-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X