No announcement yet.

Comparing Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather P4p

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather P4p

Who would have won if they were the same size and who is the best boxer since the 80s?

Roy Jones -
    Handspeed: 10
    Power: 9
    Reflexes: 9
    Footwork: 9
    Defence: 8
    Ring Intelligence: 9
    Inside game: 6
    Outside game: 10

Total: 70

Floyd Mayweather -
    Handspeed: 9
    Power: 7
    Reflexes: 10
    Footwork: 9
    Defence: 10
    Ring Intelligence:10
    Inside Game: 8
    Outside Game:10

Total: 73

For me, Floyd is the slightly better fighter and would have out smarted/boxed Roy if they were the same size. Roy was more spectacular given his even faster handspeed, combinations and power.

I give Floyd the slight reflexes edge because of his whole upper body movement and reactions rather than Roy.

ESPY Award > Fighter Of The Decade Award

Comment

RJJ would beat the **** out of Floyd lol

Comment

RJJ did have a rep for being a bit of a cokehead too I beleive?

Mayweather has been clean all his life because of his family's history with drugs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Floydmayweather footwork should be a 10.

Comment

Roy is an old cruiserweight far past prime. Floyd is perhaps the gr....

Wait a minute, you didn't mean prime for prime didja?

Oh. In that case 'comparing Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather' (let's assume you mean the Junior versions in both cases) is....drumroll...impossible.

Well, at least, that is if you're asking who's best.

Discussion on how completely different their styles are/were could be interesting, however.

EDIT: I didn't know they had 'Top Trumps' for boxers. (IDK if top trumps are merely a UK phenomena - if so so this edit may read strangely to international readers).
            Last edited by Citizen Koba; 10-01-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

It would have been real difficult for both and would be a very high level chess match fought mostly from range.

Roy probably fought some more comparable guys but none of them really brought the combination of things to the table Floyd does.

I will say this though even though that is the highest of level fight most fans would never be able to appreciate what was going on or even enjoy it.

Comment

If they were the same size I think floyd takes it... rjj was a little wild and would have some problems against an equally fast if not faster master counter puncher. We have seen floyd adjust countless times... while I think roy is damn near the best to ever do it Talent wise, floyd is the better tactitian and comparably talented.

Comment

OK, dammit , I'll play.(despite the fact that 'at the same weight' they woulda evolved in completely different ways - Roys speed was his edge at the heavier weights, Floyds defense fantastic until he reaches the size where people can punch through)- the 'same weight' actually needs defining 'cos it makes a difference, - a big one.

For me Floyd is without doubt the more technically skilled fighter, but can he read a lightening fast striker who doesn't really have tells and throws from instinct (Zab's another one who did this, but slowed a little after 'Zoo, or perhaps prime Hamed)? Floyds too much the pro (or should I say unflappable, cos it comes partly from his amateur experience) to be put off by the mind games and the showboating.

The answer is that I don't know. There's also a difference in the way both fighters win. Floyd at least appears to do the minimum necessary to win. As an unbeaten fighter, his full potential remains an unknown. Roy won with ease against (in his prime) the vast majority of those who faced him, though had a few long fights with the top of his generation. However, he did win, and if we're talking prime for prime RJJs victories certainly come across as more emphatic than Floyds.

F#kkit, I could break it down all night, in the end: Floyd at 154 or under, Roy at 168+

160 would be where my fantasy matchup would take place (assuming like you say similar sizes at any weight class) - lower weights favour Floyds defense, higher, Roys speed an accuracy.
                  Last edited by Citizen Koba; 10-01-2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Roy Jones -
                    Handspeed: 10
                    Power: 9
                    Reflexes: 9
                    Footwork: 10
                    Defence: 9
                    Ring Intelligence: 9
                    Inside game: 6
                    Outside game: 10

Total: 72

Floyd Mayweather -