Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Roy Jones deserve to be considered an elite ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    Where is Reed when we need him?

Absolutely Jones is an ATG ffs. He may not be "The GOAT" but he sure is hell is an elite ATG.....any Top-20 All-Time P4P that doesn't have Jones on it is just plain wrong.

Poet
    I don't consider Roy Jones a Top 20 ATG.

Atleast not in terms of his resume.

Skillwise, absolutely.

Comment

Hes was one of the best I've ever seen.

Comment

When you totally dominate on a world class level for that long of a time span, you are certainly an ATG.

And I'm not much of a Roy Jones fan either. But he appeared to be unbeatable in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
          He had some awesome skills back in the '90's but then again, he fought a lot of stiffs. He had beaten James Toney and outpointed Hopkins earlier in his career. Even though he holds wins over them, do you believe he was really superior? He was an excellent fighter but I don't think he was quite as good as Hopkins...
          Without a doubt a legend and ATG and Hopkins in no way shape or form is near the level of greatness of Roy Jones Jr and I think history will remember it that way.

Hopkins can not hold a candle to Roy Jones and on his best day at any point in his career could be beat prime Roy. As a matter of fact, there aren't many guys I can think of who I'd pick over prime Roy Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
            Without a doubt a legend and ATG and Hopkins in no way shape or form is near the level of greatness of Roy Jones Jr and I think history will remember it that way.

Hopkins can not hold a candle to Roy Jones and on his best day at any point in his career could be beat prime Roy. As a matter of fact, there aren't many guys I can think of who I'd pick over prime Roy Jones.
            I cannot agree with you there. Roy may have had more natural talent. But Hopkins had more ring savvy. Although Hopkins may be older, I consider them basically of the same era. If you think about it, the only ATG's Roy had beaten were Toney and Hopkins. And, Toney was not at his best when Jones had fought him. But, he still deserves credit for the win. Hopkins avenged his loss to Roy years later after seemingly being ducked for a good while. He also dominated Antonio Tarver, who had defeated Jones 2 out of 3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
              I cannot agree with you there. Roy may have had more natural talent. But Hopkins had more ring savvy.
              Define savvy.

Roy had every trick, juke, feint, trap that could be used and he executed them flawlessly. Roy didn't just throw fast hands. Roy set traps, roy would feint you twice hit you wth a left hook, and then feint you again. Roy would block your jab and wait for to come in, so he could counter you with his left.

Roy had plenty of savvy, it wasn't all flash.. There was substance and meaning behind his movements.

Although Hopkins may be older, I consider them basically of the same era. If you think about it, the only ATG's Roy had beaten were Toney and Hopkins.
              First of all, how many fighters have TWO All Time Greats on their resume? Not too mention at two different weight classes.

Second, hes got an established list of HOFers on his resume as well Toney, Hopkins, Hill, McCallum, possibly Tarver.

And, Toney was not at his best when Jones had fought him.
              Ohhhh, let me guess.. Toneys weight issues again. Tell me, when in Toneys career did he not have a weight problem? But he went 44-0 and the one time it now mattered is because he happened to be in the ring with Roy... Toney just KNOCKED OUT a fighter only 4 months before he fought Roy... But now Toneys not at his best because, well he lost and had weight issues. Yeah.

But, he still deserves credit for the win. Hopkins avenged his loss to Roy years later after seemingly being ducked for a good while.
              Wait a minute... We're gonna talk trash on Roys win over Toney... When they were both prime, both undefeated, Toney was P4p #3 in the world, best fighter in the division coming off a KO win 4 months earlier....

But...

We're gonna bring up Nards revenge win over Roy... When Roy is 41 years old ( and no it doesnt matter Bernard was older, that doesnt somehow mean Roy is still fighting at an elite level just because Bernard is) and coming off a 6 year string of losses and knockouts, and FRESH off a 1 st round tko loss to Danny Green.... And not even mention any of that?

He also dominated Antonio Tarver, who had defeated Jones 2 out of 3 times.
              Wait, so we're gonna talk about Toney being not at his best and drained, but we're gonna bring up Nards win over Tarver coming FRESH off a movie filming where he played a heavyweight fighter.

What, brah?

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                Define savvy.

Roy had every trick, juke, feint, trap that could be used and he executed them flawlessly. Roy didn't just throw fast hands. Roy set traps, roy would feint you twice hit you wth a left hook, and then feint you again. Roy would block your jab and wait for to come in, so he could counter you with his left.

Roy had plenty of savvy, it wasn't all flash.. There was substance and meaning behind his movements.

First of all, how many fighters have TWO All Time Greats on their resume? Not too mention at two different weight classes.

Second, hes got an established list of HOFers on his resume as well Toney, Hopkins, Hill, McCallum, possibly Tarver.

Ohhhh, let me guess.. Toneys weight issues again. Tell me, when in Toneys career did he not have a weight problem? But he went 44-0 and the one time it now mattered is because he happened to be in the ring with Roy... Toney just KNOCKED OUT a fighter only 4 months before he fought Roy... But now Toneys not at his best because, well he lost and had weight issues. Yeah.

Wait a minute... We're gonna talk trash on Roys win over Toney... When they were both prime, both undefeated, Toney was P4p #3 in the world, best fighter in the division coming off a KO win 4 months earlier....

But...

We're gonna bring up Nards revenge win over Roy... When Roy is 41 years old ( and no it doesnt matter Bernard was older, that doesnt somehow mean Roy is still fighting at an elite level just because Bernard is) and coming off a 6 year string of losses and knockouts, and FRESH off a 1 st round tko loss to Danny Green.... And not even mention any of that?

Wait, so we're gonna talk about Toney being not at his best and drained, but we're gonna bring up Nards win over Tarver coming FRESH off a movie filming where he played a heavyweight fighter.

What, brah?
                This thread pratically begged for Reed to show up.

Comment

His wins over "BHop" and "Lights out" while they were young and argubly in or close to their prime, suggest he was.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
                    People love to harp on his lack of fundamentals, bla bla bla.... Fact is, he had some amazing accomplishments and, unorthodox or not, he was wrecking guys. I don't think you can discredit someone's prime accomplishments because of what happens when they stick around for too long.
                    I love how people make the 'athletically gifted' arguement, or that he had no fundamentals(not to point you out specifically my man, just the post that made me think of it)...

People act like he wasn't training since 9 years old, like it was all just god given talent. Fact is, Roy put in grueling work for years and years to get to where he was/is, he was gifted no doubt, but he didn't just come off the couch and start whipping guys asses. His dad had him training from 9 years old, had him as a teenager sparring people with one hand tied behind his back, insane strength and conditioning workouts, etc etc

Roy put in work.

Comment

He is an ATG. period.

my ranking of those 3

1. Jones
                      2. Toney
                      3. Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                      X