No announcement yet.

Finally someone honest about being scared of Golovkin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
    The thing is, it's not like these guys have a lot going on, the Brits in particular. Where do they get a similar payday and a shot at a title? The 3 Brits collectively have won 0 titles so far. What's the plan, try to lure Geale to England?
    All the Brits are getting the Sturm and Martinez paydays. A Chavez payday is probably next. There's also big domestic fights between them.

These Brits are probably the least avoided fighters. The likelihood of them getting Geale or Quillin is pretty high since Geale and Quillin aren't chasing high risk low reward fights either.
    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 02-13-2013, 07:58 PM.

Comment

The thing is, it's not like these guys have a lot going on, the Brits in particular. Where do they get a similar payday and a shot at a title? The 3 Brits collectively have won 0 titles so far. What's the plan, try to lure Geale to England?
      Getting their hands on a title by getting a crack at a tier 2 titlist I suspect. To be fair to Macklin and Murray, they did face Sergio as soon as they got the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
        All the Brits are getting the Sturm and Martinez paydays. A Chavez payday is probably next.
        I doubt Murray and Macklin got 200k for Sturm. Barker's HBO purse was not much more, right? Looks like Mack Chavez is no given, since he's calling out Lee on HBO (undercard, for sure). Is GG's headlining in june?

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
          I'm always skeptical even of proven world class opposition. I give him props for that fight, I rate Rosado higher than a lot of people on here and despite him not being a middleweight as such I think he'd do well as a middleweight.
          Hes got the size, good power, good handspeed, he is fluid and I feel he is well rounded.

I'm a fan of Golovkins style and I like his attitude, I just want to see him tested before I am full on board. I've seen a lot of guys before who have looked mighty against smaller/lesser guys and hailed as the next big thing, they've stepped up and got exposed.
          Tyrone Brunson would be a decent example IMO; he was knocking everyone dead, broke a load of records, had a lot of hype then he got stopped by Carson Jones I think it was. That was a minor step up. That was the end of him!

I also find it interesting when these punchers come along and someone can take their best shots and still keep coming. Is there a plan B? Will they get discouraged?
          That's the thing. I like to believe GGG is not just a huge puncher. I see someone who can do much more than rely solely on a brutal force.

I know it is still pretty much hype, but I like an idea of having the fighter that has a potential of becoming ATG. I hate when you realize how good a fighter is and then you realize he has one or two more years on the top level.

Golovkin is not young by any mean, but if he is willing to fight 3 or more times per year I am all on board for him...
          I just hope he'll get a proper chance to prove himself soon.

Comment

I doubt Murray and Macklin got 200k for Sturm.
            I don't. Soliman risked his Geale title shot exactly because Sturm is a payday.
            Barker's HBO purse was not much more, right?
            Barker got got 400k for Martinez. Macklin likely more because he was Irish.

These Brits are probably the least avoided fighters. The likelihood of them getting Geale or Quillin title shots are pretty high since Geale and Quillin aren't chasing high risk low reward fights either.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
              I don't. Soliman risked his Geale title shot exactly because Sturm is a payday.

Barker got got 400k for Martinez. Macklin likely more because he was Irish.

These Brits are probably the least avoided fighters. The likelihood of them getting Geale or Quillin title shots are pretty high since Geale and Quillin aren't chasing high risk low reward fights either.
              I dunno what Soliman's definition of a payday is. But Sturm targeted Soliman to get his mando spot, the Brits were pretty much nobodies when he fought them. Do you have any Sturm opponent purse figures?

OK on Sergio opponents paydays. But Mack took 80k for Alcine in his last fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
                That's the thing. I like to believe GGG is not just a huge puncher. I see someone who can do much more than rely solely on a brutal force.
                The guy is an Olympic Silver and World Gold medalist, he's much more than a big puncher.

I can see why people say he's overhyped and I can see it the other way too.m It's exciting as hell when a prospect like this emerges and they're as golden as Golovkin is now. Only natural to want to see a guy like that in against the best.

It's not as if he's standing out because he's got some big power in the sport behind him. He doesn't, he's a Kazakhstani with no backing in the boxing world beyond the fact that hardcore fans seem to love watching him. Nobody's given this to him. No external agent has pumped money into promoting him. He's done this by himself and you have to respect that.

Comment

id like to see ggg go at with ndam

Comment

Originally posted by illmaticfighter View Post
                    id like to see ggg go at with ndam
                    This would be a classic style match-up, Boxer vs. Puncher.

Comment

I dunno what Soliman's definition of a payday is. But Sturm targeted Soliman to get his mando spot, the Brits were pretty much nobodies when he fought them. Do you have any Sturm opponent purse figures?

OK on Sergio opponents paydays. But Mack took 80k for Alcine in his last fight.
                      Look, you're the one claiming these Brits have nothing going on with them when they're the ones fighting big fights with Sturm and Martinez. They have had more going on than Golovkin at least. I don't have any figures, but if anyone in the middleweight division is a payday is obviously Sturm. And at the time, he came with a real title shot, not whatever Golovkin had.

I know you're desperate for Golovkin to fight someone of note (so am I), but you're reaching here. Golovkin barely got his first HBO date late last year before he was was remotely worth fighting. He only became a real title holder in November. You seem to be implying that Macklin is making up the nose thing with his "excuses" when he talked about it before there was any Golovkin talk. And expecting Macklin to fight Golovkin as a late replacement for Pirog after being knocked out in his previous bout is not smart at all.

I would love to see Macklin fight Golovkin next, but calm the hell down. Lets see what happens next. Murray is fighting Martinez and Barker has fought 3 round in 15 months like Hearn said.

Comment

Working...
                      X