Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pacquiao: "Cotto body punches were NOTHING. But Margarito body punches HURT A LOT."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacquiao: "Cotto body punches were NOTHING. But Margarito body punches HURT A LOT."

Trainer Freddie Roach, who has been with Pacquiao since 2001, put it more succinctly.

“This is the best camp we’ve ever had,” he said.

No one had to tell Pacquiao to make this the best camp he’s ever had. He just did it.

Why? Two possible reasons: One, he was in good but not great shape going into the Margarito fight, which he won handily but took punishment he might’ve avoided had he been 100 percent. And, two, he believes Mosley is a threat.

Ariza pointed to Margarito.

“I don’t think he was happy about the Margarito fight, taking punches he probably felt he shouldn’t have taken,” he said. “Manny said when he fought (Miguel) Cotto that Cotto hit him with his best shots to the body and all over and didn’t feel them. He said, ‘Against Margarito, I felt almost everything.'

“This time, he took the initiative. He said, “I want to get bigger and stronger.’ I think he’s taking Mosley seriously. I don’t think he took Margarito very seriously.”
    http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/1...tion-this-time
    Cotto
    29.85%
    Margarito
    56.72%
    About the same
    13.43%

If only Margaturtle knew how to move his damn head.

Comment

Its weird, Cotto used to have good body shots, but he lost them some time along the way. I think it ended when he became more of a boxer against Mosley.

Had he used his body shots against Margarito, I think he would have beaten him. but he just didnt use them.

Now that I think about it, he uses body shots less agaisnt offensive fighters and more against defensive ones. I dont think hes willing to trade head shots for his body shots.

Comment

Cotto doesn't have a chance.

Comment

So he trained extra hard for Cotto, thus better prepared to absorb the hits. Plus, shaving off 2 extra pounds perhaps sapped some strength.

He trained softly for Margarito and didn't absorb the hits as well

Why is this newsworthy again?

Comment

I know am going to get hate on this, but I believe, in Cotto's defence that he was weight drain. At that point of his career I think Miguel's weight demand took a hit on his conditioning. Maybe not by a whole lot, but that wasn't no where near Cotto's best.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
              Its weird, Cotto used to have good body shots, but he lost them some time along the way. I think it ended when he became more of a boxer against Mosley.

Had he used his body shots against Margarito, I think he would have beaten him. but he just didnt use them.

Now that I think about it, he uses body shots less agaisnt offensive fighters and more against defensive ones. I dont think hes willing to trade head shots for his body shots.
              Cotto is one of the best body puncher in business. Just like how he ko Yuri Foreman with it. Is just like Pac has more resistance to it at 147 compared to 165 Margarito Pac fought.

Comment

Like they say you're only as good as your last opponent, Pacquiao fought Margarito last, so he has to hype him up a bit.
                We also can agree Cotto did way better against Pacquiao than Margarito.

Comment

He didnt feel Cottos body punches because Cotto was backpedaling most of the fight. Margarito was coming forward with his punches against Pac.

Comment

This is Manny trying to pretend he fought the same Margarito that Cotto fought... Calculated BS from Pacquaio to make his victory over Margarito seem that much more "amazing."

Cotto softened Pac's body up for Margs.

Marg hit him when he was tangled in rope and that clean shot made it so that every shot for the rest of the night hurt more than it would have. No way does Margarito hit harder than Cotto to the head or body.

Roach has a tendency to like to shock when he speaks.

"Well actually I had to stop Manny and Victor Ortiz from hurting each other during sparring..."

BULLSHYT.
                    Last edited by BorderPatrol; 04-20-2011, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X