No announcement yet.

Best Arsenal side 98 or 2004 ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Arsenal side 98 or 2004 ?

Im an Arsenal fan, and allthough many of my fellow Arsenal fans believe the team that won the league in 2004 is best team of Arsenal have ever had. Ive always felt the 98 side was a better team, because that team had pace,steal,leadership qualities and skill. A mixture of English application/desire sprinkled with technically sound quality foreign players.

PS ive always felt that the Prem was weak the year Arsenal won it and im Arsenal fan, but i gotta be honest. The prem goes through spells where its strong and weaker at different seasons.

Seaman
    Dixon Adams Bould/Keown Winterburn

Parlour/Platt Petit Vieira Overmars

Anelka Dennis Bergkamp/Ian Wright

Lehmann(mad Jens lol)

Lauren Campbell Toure Cole

Ljungberg Vieira Gilberto Pires

Henry Bergkamp

Seaman vs Jens Lehmann no comparison. Seaman was a GREAT keeper at coming and claiming crosses, and he was a better shot stopper, he was also far less inclined to make errors than mad Jens. Jens was an accident waiting to happen.

Lauren was better going foward than Dixon, but he was suspect defensively. Dixon was more of a leader, and he was primarily defender 1st. Id take Dixon's defensive skills over Lauren's attacking skills and lack of defensive skills any day of the week. Dixon could also cross the ball.

Cole is a better player than Winterburn. Winterburn was Mr steady eddie, but Cole is better going foward and defending.

Adams vs Campbell is a pick em. Both as good as each other really.

Keown v Toure is a tough one, because Keown is a better defender, but Toure is a better footballer who can defend. Toure is NOT a leader though where as Keown was. Toure is prone to the odd mistake and he does not lead the backline well at all, allthough put him alongside Sol, and he was solid, but on his own he gets exposed a little imo.

Petit ****s all over Gilberto not much else to say Petit was a beast.

Overmars v Pires is very tough call, because Pires would average 10 goals a season at LEAST. Overmars brought electric pace to the side and created more opportunities by pulling defenders out of position plus he could also finish . I want to go for Overmars pace and approach play etc, but Pires goals made me choose him.

Freddie Ljungberg ****s all over Parlour. Platty was more of a CM than a wing man. Freddie takes this one.

Vieira of 98 v Vieira of 2004 was a different player, Vieira of 98 was a lot more defensive, whilst the 2004 version was more of an attack minded DMF. Id take the 2004 version.

Bergkamp in 98 was in his prime no comparison to the 2004 version, allthough he was a lot smarter in 2004, because he did not have his legs anymore.

You might call me crazy, but id take Wright or Anelka over Henry strange as it sounds. I believe Anelka or Wright as out and out number 09's were better players than Henry for the good of the TEAM. Henry was very individualistic player and the team was built around him. Matter of fact i feel that is one of the reasons that 2004 team did not succeed in Europe, because when Henry did not play well Arsenal did not play well. I also feel the criticism of Henry being a big game bottler was valid. In the big games Henry rarely showed up, because teams would squeeze the pitch and leave no space in behind for Henry to exploit with his pace.
    2004 obviously
    11.11%
    2004 side was better
    77.78%
    98 side was better
    11.11%
    Last edited by P4P GOAT; 03-14-2009, 08:01 AM.

It's 2004 for me, the 1998 team was class, the 2004 team are Legendary!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by J Mac View Post
      It's 2004 for me, the 1998 team was class, the 2004 team are Legendary!!!!!!!
      Yeah its a preference thing.

I mean i picked Anelka in his prime over Henry, because of the overall effect he would have on the functioning of the TEAM. I mean Xavi is not gonna score the goals Gerrard does, but given the chance id take Xavi over Gerrard any day of the week, because Xavi can a run a game with his technical ability, and in the long run he helps the team function better.

Comment

The team were amazing. ****in loved Overmars, Petit, Viera, Bergkamp, Wright, Adams... they were all legends.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Anomaly View Post

The team were amazing. ****in loved Overmars, Petit, Viera, Bergkamp, Wright, Adams... they were all legends.
          True dat.

Many people say the invincibles underperformed, but i felt the 98 team would of done even more, if Wenger had kept a hold of Petit/Overmars/Anelka. I guess that team was assembled a bit too late, because the back 5 were all getting into the latter part of their careers.

Comment

04 no doubt. To go the whole season unbeaten is an amazing achievement and may never be matched.

Comment

Henry took too many of the plaudits for Arsenal's success imo. I always felt the most important people to that 2004 side were Patrick Vieira and Sol Campbell.

Comment

04 for me the 98 team was physically bigger and stronger but didn't have the technique of the 04 team.

Both great sides though.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyHatton View Post
                  04 for me the 98 team was physically bigger and stronger but didn't have the technique of the 04 team.

Both great sides though.
                  Hey MickyHatton which United side was better the current or 99 side ? i always feel that United side played the better football and was arguably a better side.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P GOAT View Post
                    Hey MickyHatton which United side was better the current or 99 side ? i always feel that United side played the better football and was arguably a better side.
                    Again mate I feel that 99 team were physically stronger but didn't perhaps have the flair of this team. Dont forget the 99 team did have good slices of luck by nicking so many injury time goals.

Again though with both sides its the same as for the Arsenal question, its a pick em.

This United squad is stronger Im certain of that but even this squad is looking tired now!

Comment

Working...
                    X