Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Cotto-Canelo being billed as the next "Super fight"? Canelo ain't elite.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    You're telling me those 3 were not superfights? What's your criteria for super fighter?
    None of those were super fights dude. Canelo is not good enough to be in a super fight at this stage of his career. He has a huge following and sells tickets, but to be in a "super" fight takes more IMO. Cotto is a HOF IMO, but he is not good enough to be in a super fight either. I am in no way disrespecting or discrediting either.

Super fights are matchups that get interest outside of the boxing and sports world into the mainstream. You usually need one or both fighters to transcend boxing. I don't think Cotto or Canelo transcend the sport, maybe they do in their communities.

For example, Hagler/Hearns was an incredible big fight, but it wasn't IMO a "super" fight like Hagler/Leonard or Hearns/Leonard. IMO niether Hagler/Duran nor Hearns/Duran were "super" fights either.

I think we throw terms like "super fights" and "ATG" around too loosely. IMO there is a huge difference between a "big" fight and a "super" fight.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      I think HBO will try to market it like that but it really isn't a super fight. For that you need 2 really great fighters or, like Floyd v Manny, one great fighter in with another HOF'er.

Cotto v Canelo is perhaps the biggest of the "PR/Mexican rivalry" fights other than ODH/Trinidad, but it in no way is a super fight.
      nope. not even close. Cotto is a battled tested ATG on his way to Hall of Fame. whereas ODH AND Trinida were at their respective primes. So I hate to bust a nut on canelito fans but a Cotto win or loss doesn't do much to add or detract from his legacy...just his bank account!!!

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        He beat your boy Lara too.

Canelo has a better claim to the top p4p than guys youd want in there (ggg and gonzalez). so get over it, its a super fight.
        he did not beat lara...if u watched the fight I can't think of any other verdict than a close win for lara or a draw

canelo is a good and maybe will be a great fighter seeing as he's accomplished a lot at such a young age, but people seem to bypass the fact that his resume is leaky

the kirkland he fought had no power and was slow as ****, same thing with angulo. his best win is austin trout and he's amounted to a B class fighter at best. I think canelo will get better with experience but he certainly ain't there yet

Comment

Originally posted by PR ESQ. View Post
          nope. not even close. Cotto is a battled tested ATG on his way to Hall of Fame. whereas ODH AND Trinida were at their respective primes. So I hate to bust a nut on canelito fans but a Cotto win or loss doesn't do much to add or detract from his legacy...just his bank account!!!
          I think you are misunderstanding the post. It's the biggest other than that, unless there are other pr/Mexican fights you think are bigger.

Comment

A true Super Fight has two requirements:

1. Pound for pound relevance
            2. Individual stardom of at least one of the 2 fighters

Cotto/Canelo fails to meet the first criteria. Neither guy is a top 5 or maybe even top 10 pound for pound fighter right now. But it definitely meets the 2nd criteria which is why it is a big fight that everybody is looking forward to.

Comment

Skill wise it is not a "superfight" but $$$ wise its huge.

Comment

I think HBO will try to market it like that but it really isn't a super fight. For that you need 2 really great fighters or, like Floyd v Manny, one great fighter in with another HOF'er.

Cotto v Canelo is perhaps the biggest of the "PR/Mexican rivalry" fights other than ODH/Trinidad, but it in no way is a super fight.
                Floyd vs manny was a sheet rip off fight. elite means nothing when both are scared of each other unwilling to make first move or when the other guys runs

Comment

If Canelo notches some great wins over the next 2 years he could be considered elite and P4P. To be fair he's recently taken on two of the most difficult boxers in the sport to look good or even against, Floyd and Lara. He did look awful against Floyd though but also he's just not great against pure boxers.

If he beat Cotto (even though hes on the slide) and GGG, he's definitely in the P4P list and one the best boxers around 154-160.

Comment

It's a huge fight that will make huge money and no fight is as big as Mayweather-Pacquiao. Canelo is a huge star even if you are not one of his fans. My guess is Canelo will be the betting favorite. I know I will put some good money on him to beat Cotto. Cotto vs Canelo is indeed a superfight. Canelo-Mayweather made more money than Cotto-Mayweather. Canelo beat Lara and Lara might be better than Cotto. I almost forgot that Trout beat Cotto. So how come Cotto who has 4 losses including losing to Trout, and been KOed twice is elite and Canelo who has only 1 loss and never been knocked down and beat Trout and Lara is not elite?

Comment

How could cotto/canelo be a super fight when neither Floyd/cotto, Manny/cotto or Floyd/canelo was?
                      All of those are super-fights, Floyd/Manny was the "fight" of the century. Cotto/Canelo is a superfight, but that's because of their popularity. Canelo is a B class fighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X