Manny Pacquiao's Lone Weapon Against Antionio Margarito Is Speed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny Pacquiao's Lone Weapon Against Antionio Margarito Is Speed

By Leo Reyes (Featured Columnist) on November 5, 2010

Antonio Margarito has all the physical advantages over the much smaller Manny Pacquiao when they collide on November 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, with one exception—speed.

Without regaining his natural speed, Pacquiao will most likely lose to Margarito, who is much bigger than the Filipino boxing superstar, aside from his five-inch advantage in height and six in reach.

Pacquiao, who is known for his power punches, especially with his left hand, cannot claim monopoly of the power game, as the Mexican boxer is likewise known for his deadly punches. This leaves Pacquiao with just a single advantage—speed.

Barely a week before fight night, Pacquiao has not regained the natural speed he had when he fought in the 147-149 range.

But today, Pacquiao announced he is reducing weight in order to regain his natural speed. He is circling around 148-149, according to ABS-CBN early evening news.

“Speed will carry me through (in this fight),” Pacquiao told Manila-based sportswriters in Filipino after a gruelling 2.5-hour training at the gym owned by trainer Freddie Roach. “We can use that easily. If there’s speed, there’s nothing to worry about. Even Freddie (Roach) is very happy with my performance.”

Pacquiao knows he will be a bit sluggish with the agreed catch weight, and he will have to find a way to boost his speed, which was unsurpassed while fighting in the lower weight divisions.

He said gaining extra weight reduces his speed and he is concentrating on it now. His strength and conditioning coach, Alex Ariza, is expected to concentrate on regaining his speed after moving up to face Margarito at the agreed weight.

Ariza must have decided on the weight-reduction plan before taking off for the final training phase, which starts after Pacquiao and his team arrive in Texas.

Meanwhile, at the Wild Card Gym, a 6'3" middleweight from Detroit suffered a broken nose as he tried sparring with Pacquiao on recommendation from Roach's boxing staff.

“Yeah, his performance against that big middleweight proved that there’s no longer any reason for us to worry about Manny’s condition,” Roach said.

“I pity the guy, a black American guy who just wanted to help and be helped. Instead, he went home with a dislocated nose apart from depriving himself of earning a little as one of Manny’s sparring partner,” he lamented.

“The good thing is the incident opened the door for us to move on with our training. Leave the issue of physical conditioning a bit and concentrate on the last stage of our preparations, which is strategy and game plan,” Roach said.

Roach said Pacquiao's showing in the sparring session signals his readiness to face Margarito in about a week, which means the pound-for-pound king has finally regained his natural speed.

Pacquiao, who is known for his power punches, especially with his left hand, cannot claim monopoly of the power game, as the Mexican boxer is likewise known for his deadly punches. This leaves Pacquiao with just a single advantage—speed.

Terribly mistaken.

People tend to leave out other factors and all the intangibles as to what Pacquiao can do. They only thought speed's the only thing Pacquiao has?

How about punching power? Weird angles? Amazing footwork (do not confuse speed as synonymous to footwork), granite chin? Karaoke prowess? A-side-Meth? A lot more others...

Comment

A lot of fighters have underestimated Pac's power. The first solid punch that landed on dela Hoya created a welt under his left eye.

The first right hook that landed on Hatton hurt him badly, as Hatton said himself.

Comment

What bunch of BS.

Pac's muscle strength is way superior to Marg's. In fact it's way superior than anyone @ 147 right now. It allows him, like someone said, to punch in weird angles with POWER. Plus he is not predictable at all.

Margo, on the other hand, is not a strong guy. He relies on leverage to multiply the energy of his blows. So Margo has pop if he has the space necesarry for the leverage. However, because of that, he punches predictably.

Comment

Originally posted by nelsoncm View Post
          A lot of fighters have underestimated Pac's power. The first solid punch that landed on dela Hoya created a welt under his left eye.

The first right hook that landed on Hatton hurt him badly, as Hatton said himself.
          And made Cotto jump/dance like no one had @ 147. Not even PLASTERED MARGO.

Comment

PEDs will do that.

Comment

manilas ice biggest weapon against the cheater is knowing hes a slow sloppy pucher with 0 defense no make that -3 defense that will leave him open to devestating counters all effing night long !!!! and add that to mannys speed and i predict a stoppage !!!! that stupid ass writer doesnt have a clue i think hes a b1tch!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tamis_Siensya View Post
                Terribly mistaken.

People tend to leave out other factors and all the intangibles as to what Pacquiao can do. They only thought speed's the only thing Pacquiao has?

How about punching power? Weird angles? Amazing footwork (do not confuse speed as synonymous to footwork), granite chin? Karaoke prowess? A-side-Meth? A lot more others...

I gotta agree, i was watching Marg/Cotto recently, and i noticed something that i hadn't noticed before; When Cotto was boxing he was very successful at unloading quick combos, turning Marg and using his legs to get out of the way, he just couldn't do it for 12 rounds. I think Pac would be much more successful with the same strategy condsidering that he has better footwork and speed then Cotto, even if he may not be 100% with his hand speed.

I will say this, if Pac's legs aren't there then he will be in some trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by rao007 View Post
                  PEDs will do that.
                  Right on the mark, Green K my man.

Alaxan-Side Meth made roidy take all those cotto heavy punches.

Comment

Originally posted by AllEyesOpen View Post

I will say this, if Pac's legs aren't there then he will be in some trouble.

Highly agree.

Comment

Working...
                    X