Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing Short Stories

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar Ray Leonard gave his Wimbledon(tennis tournament) seats to two hookers. Some say this led to his firing as these were his broadcasting seats and the HBO guys got a fright when they were greeted by two women of the town.

Comment

Another Sonny Liston fact, which I learned from mickey I believe in a thread a while ago?

Before fighting Liston, Floyd Patterson was summoned to the White House and was told by John F Kennedy, to "Make sure you beat him, as the reputation of our country depends on it."

Comment

Marv I swear ages ago you said something about Langford tryna fight Johnson in a sellar and Johnson whipped out his gun, no?

Comment

Roberto Duran was ****ing a hooker who was also taking drugs when she started hyper-ventilating once she calmed down Duran questioned "Was it me or the drugs" to which she replied "Neither, I have astmua"

Note: Duran was not taking drugs here that was one thing he was strongly against.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
            Marv I swear ages ago you said something about Langford tryna fight Johnson in a sellar and Johnson whipped out his gun, no?
            Yes, Sam Langford eyed Johnson in a bar, so he cornered him and announced "Why don't we fight now, down in the cellar?" or something of the like. Johnson obviously sensing danger pulled out his revolver on Langford to get out of the situation.

Comment

After a fight Nat Dewey which Langford won by KO1. Nat's wife chased Johnson down the aisle with a razor blade. He quickly run back to his dressing room, locked the door and escaped by jumping out a window.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                After a fight Nat Dewey which Langford won by KO1. Nat's wife chased Johnson down the aisle with a razor blade. He quickly run back to his dressing room, locked the door and escaped by jumping out a window.
                Wait...I think you getting confused lol you mean Langford I just checked on boxrec it said: The Cheyenne State Leader reported that, when someone complained that the bout did not last long enough, Langord retaliated by saying: 'I am sorry, but you know that I must catch that eleven-forty-five train.'

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                  Wait...I think you getting confused lol you mean Langford I just checked on boxrec it said: The Cheyenne State Leader reported that, when someone complained that the bout did not last long enough, Langord retaliated by saying: 'I am sorry, but you know that I must catch that eleven-forty-five train.'
                  I definitely meant Langford.

There is no newspaper reports for the razor story, only Sam's words according to the book.

It is true Langford needed to catch a train so ended it early.
                  His bout with Dewey as at 10 p.m ut, his train back to L.A had changed plans and was coming in at 10:45 so he needed to end the fight, despite promising promoters he would carry Dewey.

edit: In the book it says 10:45 not 11:45 :S

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    I definitely meant Langford.

There is no newspaper reports for the razor story, only Sam's words according to the book.

It is true Langford needed to catch a train so ended it early.
                    His bout with Dewey as at 10 p.m ut, his train back to L.A had changed plans and was coming in at 10:45 so he needed to end the fight, despite promising promoters he would carry Dewey.

edit: In the book it says 10:45 not 11:45 :S
                    Oh I thought it was just a joke, what a legend, in the book does he speak about the Walcott decision which I have heard is dubious to say the least.

Comment

Yes, there's quite a bit dedicated to the fight.
                      Here is one report of the fight in the book.
                      The spectators were much displeased by the decision, as the rounds story was clearly one in favour of Langford. He had earned that right and should have gotten the decision. That, at least was the general opinion and it was voiced after the fight.

After a fine opening round the honors were all in Langford's favour from then on through the seventh. Sam shot his left jab regularly at Walcott's face and, despite the crouching tactics employed by Wallcott, Langford had no difficulty in reaching his face often, and shooting in terrific right hand uppercuts and swings to the body. In the eighth, Walcott urged on by his manager, set about a grand style to over-come the handicap. He was told that he had to fight at top speed if he wanted to win and he gave the spectators a thrill by obeying the command. He hit Langford often and tried to beat him down. Sam showed much cleverness and avoided traps, though he was severely punished about the body. Although Wallcott carried the fight to Langford from the seventh to the finish, Sam's counter-punching scored heavily and he even out-boxed Joe. Seldom was there a close exchange of punches, each being satisfied to box and toss blows at long range. Langford received two hard rights ot the chin in the thirteenth round that stunned him and one under the heart that almost took him off his feet.

Those punches were the hardest struck in the fight and had the most telling effect. But Langford came out for the fourteenth round with an abundance of confidence, and acted as if he had not even been hit in the previous session. He leaped forth at the clang of the gong and caught Walcott with a beautiful rigth hand swing that landed with a crash against Joe's body, and followed wutg two straight lefts to the mouth and a right uppercut jolt that struck with a thud. Those punches seemed to have angered the champion, for from the finish of the round, he forced the milling and for the first time in the fight, the spectators were treated to a thrilling encounter. When the bell sounded for the final seesion Walcott's anger was still with him, for he refused to shake hands and was razzed for his poor sportsmanship. the round was hectic with honors about even. Each landed often and hit hard but, Langford's staright lefts had such sting to them that that they showed their work when the end of the hostilities was announced.

The decision of a draw was not well received, and it is safe to say that Walcotts retention of his Welterweight title hung by a thread. My personal opinion is that Langford was entitled to the verdict.
                      Last edited by Barn; 01-30-2011, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X