No announcement yet.

Reach v.s Arm Length

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reach v.s Arm Length

As most of us probably know the differnce between arm length and reach is that reach is measured finger tip to finger tip across the chest. Arm length is measured arm pit to the end of the fist. My question is does it really make sense to look at reach, isn't arm length more important to look at when sizing up two boxers.I feel arm length is the more important aspect what do you guys think?

Arm length is what you want to look at to know the actual reach of a fighter, but the reach stat is about more than just arm length; it is a measure of physical size and sometimes even strength.

Look at guys like Max Baer who had a great reach with most of it being his super wide shoulders. Those tremendously broad shoulders are part of the reason he hit so hard.

When you see two heavyweights who are 6'2" and one has an 80" reach and the other a 72" reach, you can bet the guy with the longer reach probably has the bigger frame as well as the longer arms.

Comment

yeah, its kinda weird, im 5'6'' but i have big feet, big hands, big shoulders, and long arms. i just have really short legs.

Comment

so where would you say a guy like trinidad got his power? with his long light arms and his narrow shoulders

Comment

so that means their arm leangth is more informative then their reach...since you wanna know who has the longest arms...

lets say both have 76 reach

one guy has wide frame teh other guy has a narrow frame...

the guy with narrow frae would have longer arms correct??

Comment

Yea i knew that, i think they should just use arm length, not reach.

Comment

I think both measurements should be given. Why not?

Comment

I'm more down with both being shown rather than one or the other for sure. Ya know cause HBO gives arm length, showtime and other places give reach. You are right they should give both

Comment

i think arm length too...cause my measuring tape doesnt go up to 76'...but anyway..i think i have decent reach..from pit to fist i have 24''s im around 5'9" you be the judge

Comment

Why measure to the fingertips in either case? They should be measuring to the first knuckle. Reach only matters if the one guy can take advantage of it, especially with the jab. It's mostly for fight hype.

Comment

Working...
                    X