• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Liddell interview

from http://www.mmaringreport.com/
    MMARR: Hello Mr. Liddell how do you do?

Iceman: I am doing good.

MMARR: You recently had a fight with Renato Babalu” Sobral, You knew you had a title shot in the bag, what goes into your thinking when you want to take a fight when you know that if you lose you are not going to get your title shot anymore?

Iceman: The first thing is I am not thinking about losing a fight. If I lost the bout I didn't deserve the title shot in the first place. I mean then he would obviously deserve the title shot. I am a fighter, the belt is just kind of a thing there, just a symbol of being the best. That is the only reason I want the belt. I gonna, I want to beat Tito for the belt. He is the best guy out there right now in everybody's mind, and that is the guy I want to beat.

MMARR: You mentioned in everybody's mind. Lorenzo Fertitta ( The owner of the UFC) was at the Post fight press conference for UFC 40. After Tito's fight with ken he said in his own worlds he felt that Tito was the best fighter at 205 in the world. I saw you there, and you didn't look too happy about that. What were you thinking when he said that?

Iceman: At the press conference and stuff they said he was unstoppable. There was nobody that could beat him at 205, while I am sitting there. At UFC 33 they said that nobody was willing to take the fight so Vladamir stepped up. I was the first guy they talked to and I said "yes!" No more money, no extra money, I just wanted to fight. So I just wanted my title shot, I mean it bothers me I am sitting right there and they talk like I am not even there, like I am not even a threat to him.

MMARR: Did that make you upset at all?

Iceman: You know, not really, it gets me a little bit...it just makes me train harder. Other then that it is not a big deal. People are going to say what they are going to say.

MMARR: If the fight does not happen in April as planned, Is there any chance that you will take another fight in between like you did last time with Renato "Babalu" Sobral?

Iceman: Yes I will take a fight. If they can't get him to sign April 25th, I will demand a fight. Because I am a fighter, I am not going to sit around and wait forever. I mean if he doesn't take it April 25th, what says he is going to take it June 25th, or even December 25th of next year. I am not going to wait around till he decides he wants to fight. I want to fight. I will really petition for them to let me go fight Vanderlei (Silva).

I want to put pressure on Pride to put that on. Do whatever they need to put on a fight with me and Vanderlei.

MMARR: If you beat Vanderlei and become the Champion of Pride does that mean that you would be sticking with Pride and no longer be a UFC fighter?

Iceman: I want to be a UFC fighter, I am not looking at being, I just want to be a fighter and I want to be the best fighter in the world in whichever way I got to go about that. If the fight works with Tito and I beat Tito, and I will beat Tito, I would still want to fight Vanderlei next, if they can work it out. I think the two organizations need to get together and work it out, have one champion against the other one, who cares, let the fans have the fight that they want to see.

MMARR: You said that you "will" beat Tito, is there any iota in your mind that you will lose?

Iceman: Well there is always the chance that he will get lucky, but the thing is that is the way a fighter should think. That is the way I think, and I am sure that is the way that he thinks. When eventually he decides to take the fight, that is the way that he’ll be thinking by the time the fight comes, that he is going to win. You shouldn't be in there if you don't think that you are going to win.

MMARR: You used to train with Tito, you used to be good training partners, and good friends at that time. How was your training together?

Iceman: I still like Tito, Tito is a great guy, We kinda took the difference a little bit because we knew we were eventually going to have to fight. If both of us kept winning there would be no one left to fight us but each other. Honestly we have only trained together ten times in the last two years. None in the last year. It has been a long time, he has changed, he has improved a lot, I have changed I have been improving, so after training for a while, here and there for a while, we got to get back in there and face each other again.

MMARR: You said "if Tito gets lucky" that he could win. When you are in the ring do you think that there is any possibility that you are going to lose? Does that run through your mind at all?

Iceman: Not at all. Not when I am fighting not at all. I walk into a fight I am not worried about losing. If you are worried about losing, that is your first step to losing. You can't go out there to not lose, you gotta go out there to win a fight.

MMARR: People have been accusing you saying "Chuck isn't quite as exciting as he used to be". They have been saying that same thing, that Chuck has been fighting lately not to lose, like against Amar Suloev, and Bustamante. You are taking them to decisions a little bit, how do you answer critics who say things like that to you?

Iceman: I went after Amar. I expected a different fight from Amar. I expected him to come at me more, I hurt him early and he backed off most of the fight, so I expected a different fight from him. I won the first two rounds easy, and I was going after him, I went after him enough, he would just take a punch and then run, I can't do everything I threw an overhand right in that round, that is the round that they are complaining about, but I was in kickboxing mode, I was kicking his legs and expecting to get that head kick sooner or later. It just didn't come before the bell. Maybe I could have pressed the fight harder but that was just one of those things. I was just out there in control, just throwing my punches, throwing my attacks in if he came at me a little bit, maybe I could have landed it, it is really hard to knock a guy out if he is running away from you.

MMARR: How about your fight with Bustamante, many people felt that coming into that fight that you would destroy Bustamante because you just came off a huge K.O over Guy Mezger?

Iceman: I think we may have underestimated Bustamante. The other thing too I was out of shape coming into the fight, my fault, my training. I cut a lot of weight for that fight, I would never let that happen again but people underestimated him when they thought I would roll through him like that. I would love another shot at him but he is down at 185, so if he comes back up I would love another shot at him.

MMARR: Do you think that you won that fight?

Iceman: Yes I do, I watched it a couple times, I think I won the fight, it was close but I still think that I won.

MMARR: We talked about you training together with Tito, a lot of reports have said that Tito had a lot of trouble and a lot of times couldn't take you down, do you feel that in your training that you dominated Tito?

Iceman: Well the thing is that training is training. A fight is a fight, two different things. You are working on different things, you are working on stuff in training, you are doing different stuff. So to judge whether or you someone could do something in training as compared to a fight, it is two different things. Tito is a gamer, he is going to show up to fight. Training is training I try and work on a lot of different things when I am in training too. So you never know.

MMARR: So the reports that you dominated him in practice were not accurate?

Iceman: Like I said practice is practice. You know, you are working on stuff and doing different things so, I don't’ really comment on practices with people. I work out with a lot of people and you are just working out, it is not really a public thing as far as I am concerned.

MMARR: what do you think about Tito's standup?

Iceman: It is much improved, he looks a lot better in his fights.

MMARR: At the press conference after UFC 40 Tito talked about renegotiating, he talked about friendship, he talked about a lot of things, he didn't talk about "I want Chuck". Chuck, you have been really vocal recently about saying you are very much in need of a fight with Tito. Do you think that Tito is dodging you?

Iceman: You make up your own mind. When he came in the ring after UFC 37.5 he talked about me and him have to fight after he fights Ken, and that I was going to lose. Go back and look at his interview right when he jumped in the ring. He said that I was going to get in his home and that I was going to have to lose, and I was going to get a loss. After our fights (at UFC 40) when it is time for us to fight, he talks about
    " Oh uh..you know I am going to have to get paid more", I mean that was not the reaction I was expecting from him. When five months earlier he was talking about how he was going to beat me. So..it surprised me yes.

MMARR: Do you think he is hiding behind his friendship

Iceman: honestly…Whatever, I don't know what he is trying to do exactly, I like the guy and consider him a friend, but he is not one of the guys I train with everyday, he is not one of the guys I hang out with everyday. So I got no problem fighting him, so I don't know. He is more of an emotional fighter; maybe he needs to not like me to fight me. I am not an emotional fighter; I don't have to not like you to fight you. If you step in the ring I am going to try to take your head off.

MMARR: If you guys are friends before the fight and you guys fight, if you lose or win would you have any problems with the friendship afterwards?

Iceman: Me? No. Like I said I am not an emotional fighter. As far as that stuff goes I am going to go in there and I am going to try to rip his head off. I got no problems with him before or after the fight.

MMARR: Do you think he will have problems with you if he loses to you after the fight?

Iceman: I don't know, I don't know him that well honestly. I don't know how he would react to that.

MMARR: If you fought Tito what would your prediction be if you were to fight him on April 25th?

Iceman: That all depends on how he fights. It all depends on how he fights. I am planning on knocking him out; I think I have made that pretty clear.

MMARR: What do you think of Tito's chin?
    Iceman: He has only lost a couple I times I haven't really seen him hurt real bad though.

MMARR: I have seen Tito get rocked a couple times and it doesn't seem like he handles punches to the face as well as you do. I have seen you take a lot of shots to the face. Do you think that is going to be a mode of attack for you?

Iceman: I plan to test his chin if he fights, so you will have an answer to whether or not he has a chin after we fight.

MMARR: The only time I got to see your chin REALLY get tested was against Guy Mezger, It was a pretty even fight till the end of the round and he caught you with a nice little kick and it dropped you. Was that the first time you had ever been dropped in a fight?

Iceman: Yes… or no it was Pele in Brazil he caught me with a kick, but I mean it was a flash, same thing I got right back up.

MMARR: What do you think of Vanderlei Silva?

Iceman: I would love to fight him; I think it would be a great fight for the fans.

MMARR: You fought in Pride just one time, how was your experience fighting in Pride as opposed to the UFC?

Iceman: I fought in the UFC most of the time and I prefer the cage, although I do like the knee's to the head on the ground in Pride.

MMARR: How do you compare the ring and the cage?

Iceman: Well they have their ups and downs for me. As far as the ring goes, it is easier to cut off than the cage. I think the cage is good for getting back up to your feet too, it is also good for wrestlers to hold you there. They both have their pluses and minuses I really like both of them.

MMARR: I notice all the fighters that I have seen, maybe you and Maurice Smith are the best that I have ever seen at getting off the cage and getting back on there feet after being taken to the ground. Is that something that you work a lot on?

Iceman: I work on it a little bit. We have a cage out here and I work on that.

MMARR: When you are in Japan do the Japanese fans recognize you as much as the American ones?

Iceman: Well that is hard to say, I mean back the last time I went over there, just when I beat Guy Mezger, I just really go started getting on a roll. Beating some big names. Now in the U.S, I have fought quite a few times. I get a lot of people who recognize me.

MMARR: How does being a celebrity affected you do you think it is a good thing, how do you respond to that?

Iceman: It has been kind of cool, I am kind of used to being… I have got a lot of coverage in my hometown. So I have always had a lot of coverage in my hometown where I live, everyone is kind of used to me so I don't feel like (it was) all of a sudden. Out of town a lot more people notice me.

MMARR: How do you rate your fight with Vitor Belfort? How did he feel in the ring, did he throw anything that maybe you didn't expect?

Iceman: He threw a couple head kicks I wasn't expecting those to come up but lucky I am used to them. I keep my hands up. He caught me with a shot, I was expecting for him to stand up a little more then that, he tried to take me down right away and I was able to get back up but he didn't hurt me at all on the ground. Got up just throwing punches you know, just throwing everything and just exchanged with him. I mean, I expected him to come at me a little more be a little more aggressive with his hand.

MMARR: Did you want to exchange with Belfort?

Iceman: Oh yeah.

MMARR: Were you wary of Belfort's hand-speed or the big left hand?

Iceman: I thought I hit harder than him and I wanted to test his chin, see if I could put him down.

MMARR: How high on your to do list is a rematch with Jeremy Horn?

Iceman: You know they way I would like to do it if it was a perfect world and I could do anything I wanted to, I get to fight Tito, I win there. I fight Vanderlei Silva, beat him, then fight Jeremy Horn to erase the one loss on my record.

MMARR: Do you think you could have continued? (After being held in an Arm Triangle by Jeremy Horn, Liddell did not tap and the bell rang to end the round, the fight was stopped.)

Iceman: Oh I definitely could have continued after a minute rest, but their contention was that I went out before so and you know I could have continued at that point.

MMARR: Up to this pint what do you think was your toughest fight to date?

Iceman: I don't know I have fought a lot of tough guys in there own way they have all been tough fights.

MMARR: Are there any fighters in the sport that you are particularly fond of watching? Do you have a favorite fighter or fighters?

Iceman: You know the guys that are more interesting are the guys I know, I like watching a lot of guys a lot of guys I know like Matt Hughes, actually I like watching BJ (Penn) in his last fight he was kinda… was really conservative, but usually he comes out real exciting. I just like a lot of guys. I just like watching the fights.

MMARR: So are you a fan of the game when you are not fighting?

Iceman: Yeah I like watching guys fight. I like watching the fights.

MMARR: What do you think you are going to do when your fighting career is over?

Iceman: Coach Probably…

MMARR: We are seeing another side of Chuck Liddell nowadays and that is a Chuck that is a trainer and cornerman. You have Team Pit now, what is more important to you coaching or fighting?

Iceman: At this point it is my fighting, that is my main concern, my main focus. But coaching is going to be a big part in the future. I am trying to balance the two right now. It is tough to do both but John Hackleman my trainer is one of the guys that trains most of the guys, I just help out with the ground stuff and the workouts.

MMARR: You train a guy named Gan Mcgee who just won his last fight. He beat Pedro Rizzo, how do you evaluate his performance and how good do you think that Gan Mcgee is?

Iceman: I think Gan is going to be one of the best in the world. He is a tough fighter, he has got good wrestling skills and now he is working on his kicks and getting good striking skills. I mean he is going to get better every fight

MMARR: Were you surprised that he won his fight by Knockout against Pedro?

Iceman: It wasn't the way I thought he would do it, I was looking more for the shot and the ground and pound but that was fine by me. He was doing great standing up though you know. Fighting a guy like Rizzo I mean, the guy is dangerous you know, he has got one punch power and at any given time he could stop the fight. Same with Gan, he showed the same thing one punch power, he can end the fight at any time.

MMARR: How much longer do you want to be fighting in MMA for?

Iceman: It just depends on how my body holds up, I am 32 right now I will be 33 this month, right now I feel great, as long as I still feel like I can perform, I will keep fighting. There are still some great fighters that are still performing at 37 and 38. I still feel like I got another 4 or 5 years in me easy but you never know. When I feel I can't perform at the level that I want to, then that is when I will retire.

MMARR: There has been a little bit of talk about Tito moving up to the heavyweight division. Have you heard anything about that?

Iceman: I mean where is he going to go? I got a guy for him. I got Gan (Mcgee) for him if he wants to go up there.

MMARR: Would you ever move up to heavyweight?

Iceman: I will fight Him at heavyweight if he wants to fight me at heavyweight. I mean that doesn't matter to me. We will go at whatever weight he wants. I mean I got a guy at heavyweight that cuts down from 285 to 265; I mean he is six ten. I mean he can stay up at heavyweight I will go to 205 that is where I am comfortable. Cause even if I fight at heavyweight I will walk in the ring at about 212.

MMARR: So you walk around at 212?

Iceman: I walk around at about 222. When I am in shape for a fight I like to be about 210 or for a 205 fight I don't like to fight much heavier then 215. I feel a little sluggish at 220 or 222.

MMARR: how much did you weight for your Bustamante fight?

Iceman: About 220

MMARR: Do you ever think about fighting in kickboxing or K-1 or anything like that?

Iceman: No, not anymore. I used to want to when I was younger but that was before I was doing MMA so much, they are different, it is more specialized for kickboxing than the no holds barred. They are a different kind of thing, and I just like sticking to what I do. I would have to take a lot of time off to train straight kickboxing to get back into kickboxing.

MMARR: Lastly is there anything that you would like to say to the Chuck Liddell fans out there?

Iceman: Check out my website it is either Chuck Liddell.com or Iceman.tv and I will keep you informed on what I am doing.

MMARR: Thanks a lot for spending time with me today I appreciate that.

Iceman: No Problem. Thanks a lot

Comment

good info

Comment

Chuck is a class act. He deserves his shot at the belt. Id love to see him fight tito or take on Silva. He just doesnt give a **** he will fight anybody. And he stays loyal to the Ufc after they've ****ed him over repeatedly. He rules, Respect him or die in a concentration camp.

Comment

Good Interview.

Comment

awesome interview, curly. thanks for that read. i am becoming a liddell believer everyday. he is one of the best fighters out there. he has a great deal of irritation it seems comming from the direction of conversation on ortiz.

Comment

Working...
            X