Comments Thread For: Measured Against All Time: Juan Manuel Marquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Measured Against All Time: Juan Manuel Marquez

By Cliff Rold - Will he or won’t he?

One of the big questions as 2013 develops is whether December 8, 2012 ended one of the great rivalries or simply turned to page to a fifth chapter. Mexico’s Juan Manuel Marquez, after years of playing the hunter, is enjoying being the prey. He’s playing coy, saying out of one side of his mouth that he isn’t interested in another showdown with Manny Pacquiao.

And saying he’ll weigh all his options out of the other.

In boxing, weighing options is often another way of saying, “it’ll cost ya.” This is, after all, prizefighting. Marquez has waited a long time to be able to demand the cash prize outside the ring his win over Pacquiao in December could bring him.

Inside the ring, he’s accumulated more than his share of prizes in a career that began just shy of twenty years ago. While boxing waits to see how the 39-year old craftsman chooses to close his brilliant run, it’s as good a time as any to ask…

How good has Marquez been, measured against all-time? [Click Here To Read More]

as expected, aside from pacquiao, his competition/resume is weak...

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
      Verdict on Juan Manuel Marquez: All-Time Great

One of the best Articles I've read. It even touched on Marquez accomplishing most of his accomplishments after he was past prime and past his best weightclass. It was fair and very informative

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
        By Cliff Rold - Will he or won’t he?

One of the big questions as 2013 develops is whether December 8, 2012 ended one of the great rivalries or simply turned to page to a fifth chapter. Mexico’s Juan Manuel Marquez, after years of playing the hunter, is enjoying being the prey. He’s playing coy, saying out of one side of his mouth that he isn’t interested in another showdown with Manny Pacquiao.

And saying he’ll weigh all his options out of the other.

In boxing, weighing options is often another way of saying, “it’ll cost ya.” This is, after all, prizefighting. Marquez has waited a long time to be able to demand the cash prize outside the ring his win over Pacquiao in December could bring him.

Inside the ring, he’s accumulated more than his share of prizes in a career that began just shy of twenty years ago. While boxing waits to see how the 39-year old craftsman chooses to close his brilliant run, it’s as good a time as any to ask…

How good has Marquez been, measured against all-time? [Click Here To Read More]
        An excellent, indepth, analytical article. I like it. The writer stretched the truth a bit here and there, but it's a long time since we had an article as good to read. It's more of an essay. That's all I can say. I am now going to read some of his previous analyses that I missed.

Comment

Great read!

Comment

JMM's legacy is helped tremendously by the ridiculous overrating of Manny Pacquaio and the fact the his loses to Mayweather and John are basically dismissed by the majority of the boxing public.

Comment

Originally posted by hitking View Post
              JMM's legacy is helped tremendously by the ridiculous overrating of Manny Pacquaio and the fact the his loses to Mayweather and John are basically dismissed by the majority of the boxing public.
              Chris John is a Y2K Ottke. I can't dismiss Manny though

Comment

Originally posted by totalstranga View Post
                Chris John is a Y2K Ottke. I can't dismiss Manny though
                I disagree. IMO John is worlds better than Ottke. And if not for health issues and losing confidence in getting a fair shake in America after the Juarez fights, I think he would have become a P4P fighter, or at least in the discussion.

As for his fight with JMM, it was very competitive and I have no problem with him getting the decision. Because the fight took place in Indonesia. Combined with JMM's peroformance afterwards in the Pacquaio rematch. And because the fight wasn't telecast on American television. The fight is basically treated as an afterthought, at best. And many treat it as if it never happen at all.

As for your, "I can't dismiss Manny though" comment. I have no clue what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by JAS_JAS View Post
                  as expected, aside from pacquiao, his competition/resume is weak...
                  As expected, you're ignorant and your reply sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by hitking View Post
                    I disagree. IMO John is worlds better than Ottke. And if not for health issues and losing confidence in getting a fair shake in America after the Juarez fights, I think he would have become a P4P fighter, or at least in the discussion.

As for his fight with JMM, it was very competitive and I have no problem with him getting the decision. Because the fight took place in Indonesia. Combined with JMM's peroformance afterwards in the Pacquaio rematch. And because the fight wasn't telecast on American television. The fight is basically treated as an afterthought, at best. And many treat it as if it never happen at all.

As for your, "I can't dismiss Manny though" comment. I have no clue what you're talking about.
                    Sucks when stuff like that happens. Go to another country, get shafted in what should have been a win....

Comment

Working...
                    X