No announcement yet.

Nice article on Bradley-Marquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice article on Bradley-Marquez

I love BoxingScene.com but it would be nice to have an article like this once in a while; your mind goes numb when you see stuff about Floyd and LeBron "conversating".

The Guardian, meanwhile, does some really good articles.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/que...manuel-marquez

Its pretty much known that Bradley will never be a mega star in this game. But winning cures everything and will keep him at the top and keep fans tuning in. Even when he fought a more crowd pleasing style they still booed him and bashed him despite clearly winning on points.

My advice is. You can fight smart and end up like this:

Or you can try and please the fans and end up like this:

Comment

Hopefully Tim gets more fan credit when all's said and done and people look back on his career. It seems he will never truly get the public's respect as long as he remains active.

Comment

The problem Bradley has is the same problem that beset Mayweather early on in his career but with Mayweather you kinda wasn't surprised that he turned it around, with Bradley I doubt he would in terms of becoming a big name. His market value still wouldn't sky rocket in terms of what he brings to the table. SKYSPORTS are now showcasing him so maybe that would help him in the UK at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
          The problem Bradley has is the same problem that beset Mayweather early on in his career but with Mayweather you kinda wasn't surprised that he turned it around, with Bradley I doubt he would in terms of becoming a big name. His market value still wouldn't sky rocket in terms of what he brings to the table. SKYSPORTS are now showcasing him so maybe that would help him in the UK at least.
          The article makes it sound like Bradley really beat Pacquiao. Aside from that, it's decent.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
            Its pretty much known that Bradley will never be a mega star in this game. But winning cures everything and will keep him at the top and keep fans tuning in. Even when he fought a more crowd pleasing style they still booed him and bashed him despite clearly winning on points.

There's a philosophical debate going on in boxing at the minute, regarding winning with efficiency (and being perceived as boring) or trying to be exciting (but being reckless with your chances of winning and your health).

I think it's simplistic to say that Bradley should fighting like he did against Marquez because people will keep tuning him. The goodwill he gained from the Ruslan fight was eroded a little after the JMM fight.

I understand why as a fight he would keep fighting smart but as a fan, the drama of the Provodnikov absolutely floored me. It's a fight that got under my skin. That fight was a revelation, and it is one I will come back to again and again and again. It's not just this idea of being "exciting" but of going deep within yourself, digging in, and somehow still fighting on when your body is trying not to. Like it or not, there's a transcendence to a fight like Bradley-Provodnikov that Bradley-JMM will never have.

The Marquez fight? Eh. The first few rounds were good. But then watching Tim gliding around the ring, volume jabbing? I was disappointed. I'll re-watch it again to re-score but after that, I won't revisit it.

We are presently in the era of Mayweather, where your duty isn't to be an exciting fighter, but to win, and keep on winning.

And that's fine for the fighter. And his fans.

But let's not pretend it's somehow stupid to try to be "exciting". I love boxing for it's drama and the sense of danger and the risk-taking.

But I can also see the flip side - that I want these guys to fight through concussions and broken bodies for my enjoyment. I know there's a perversity to that too.

But I'd be a liar if I sat here and said I enjoyed Tim's performance in the Marquez fight. I loved that fight for months and then up until the 5th round.

Tim's gotta do what he's gotta do.

But there's nothing wrong with fans saying they wished it was a better fight.

Comment

33 have tried / 3 was robbed / 30 was headbutt

Timothy the Thief
              Last edited by QuebecSTAR2; 10-18-2013, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by broblin View Post
                The article makes it sound like Bradley really beat Pacquiao. Aside from that, it's decent.
                He can "beat" Pacquiao 100 times and it still wouldn't help his profile.

Comment

All Tim needs to do is beat Miguel Cotto, then he'll have all the major international boxing fanbases pissed off. He'll be hated by Filipinos, Europeans, Mexicans AND Puerto Ricans!

Comment

Originally posted by PBP

IMAGE#1

IMAGE#2

IMAGE#3
                    Technically Bradley should've lost vs Ruslan.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                    X