Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Morales have been more successful at 135/140?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Morales have been more successful at 135/140?

Morales' time as an elite fighter arguably ended at 130 after the loses to Pacman but it wasn't because of age, he was only 30. His diminishing skills were due to countless wars, and 3 year lay off.

But what would happen if he never stayed long at 126-130? Imagine if he had moved up to 135-140 before his prime ended? He's relatively big for his weight and even while past prime he still had some good performances at 140 (Maidana, Cano, Garcia I)

Imagine Morales-Hatton, Morales-Juan Diaz, Morales-Cotto etc

Morales was already clearly on the decline by the first Pacquiao fight. Then he got embarrassed by Zahir Raheem.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
      Morales was already clearly on the decline by the first Pacquiao fight. Then he got embarrassed by Zahir Raheem.
      Yeah I know but what if he had moved up sooner, maybe after Barrera II for instance

Comment

He wasn't that big. He would have struggled greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          This right here. His style wasn't great in a p4p sense. He wasn't a huge guy and moving up the bigger boys would've put in work. He didn't do bad at higher weights but he wasn't great....his career was better served staying at lower divisions.

Comment

he could have been a solid 135-147 fighter if he had trained hard enough to gain the muscle to be there he is pretty damm tall and his reach rivals jr.mw's/mws 72" can drive some force

Comment

He would be a contender in any weight class 147 I think is a stretch . He could beat any of those names mentioned . Morales was one of the most intelligent fighters he could box or take you to war where ever he felt he had the advantage

Comment

Morales could outbox ANYBODY near his weight class during his prime. He just chose to go to war and took L's that way because he has a tremendous chin, and very very VERY underrated power, he looks has the physique of a frail feather but i mean ask anybody who he's faced, including pacquiao, he has some seriously deceptive power. It's kind of ridiculous. I'd rate him top50 ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  agree 100%. he would've fought bigger faster guys.

Review the 12th round of the manny I fight and the raheem fight. NOw imagine him fighting for 2-3 years where he gives up size and speed in every fight?

Comment

Morales at his absolute best is an ATG and will give a serious fight to anyone in history at 135\140.

Comment

Working...
                    X