No announcement yet.

I've defended Nick for too long.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've defended Nick for too long.

I've always defended Nick Diaz's actions but this **** is ridiculous. Cesar says nobody has been able to get ahold of him all day. Time to grow the **** up Nick. Most exciting fighter in mma, also the most emotionally unstable fighter in mma....

I feel for you & all of his die-hard fans that have stuck by him over the years, its pretty fcukin' selfish IMO. I hope he sorts himself out & starts acting a bit more professional though unfortunately I can't really see it happening.

Comment

I understand he has issues but that doesn't excuse him. He should not agree to these things when he dont know if he can do it.

Comment

what happened?

Comment

He was the main event for a PPV World Jiu Jitsu Expo fight and decided not to show for it. They waited right up to his fight time to then announce it wasn't going to happen.

Comment

Comment

To be honest, I think there's more to this than meets the eye.

Estima weighed in at 189 pounds last night for a 180 pound fight.

They apparently agreed to a re-weigh in if the guy could make 185 the day of the event, which he did, but Diaz was apparently not happy with the situation.

Missing weight by 9 pounds is pretty damn unprofessional.

Nick didn't check in in the morning, and I'm pretty sure they all new he wasn't there. It seems to me like the announcing his name and acting stunned and all may have just been an effort to publicly shame him.

This is certainly something which could've been handled better, but there are two sides to this and so far only one side is being told. The issues began at the weigh ins. Keep in mind that Nick fights at 170 pounds.

Nick was already a heavy underdog, and fighting 10 pounds above his normal weight. Asking him to fight the guy who came in heavy by an additional 9 pounds is asking quite a lot, basically doubling the deficit.

They should have just called the fight off, but Nick was probably pressured into accepting the re-weigh in.
              Last edited by Drunken Cat; 05-13-2012, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                To be honest, I think there's more to this than meets the eye.

Estima weighed in at 189 pounds last night for a 180 pound fight.

They apparently agreed to a re-weigh in if the guy could make 185 the day of the event, which he did, but Diaz was apparently not happy with the situation.

Missing weight by 9 pounds is pretty damn unprofessional.

Nick didn't check in in the morning, and I'm pretty sure they all new he wasn't there. It seems to me like the announcing his name and acting stunned and all may have just been an effort to publicly shame him.

This is certainly something which could've been handled better, but there are two sides to this and so far only one side is being told. The issues began at the weigh ins. Keep in mind that Nick fights at 170 pounds.

Nick was already a heavy underdog, and fighting 10 pounds above his normal weight. Asking him to fight the guy who came in heavy by an additional 9 pounds is asking quite a lot, basically doubling the deficit.

They should have just called the fight off, but Nick was probably pressured into accepting the re-weigh in.
                BJJ weigh ins aren't like MMA weigh ins which happen the day before, they happen on the same day as the fight. Now Estima was struggling to make the 180 weight but he made it when on the same day weigh in time with Diaz' entourage watching. He cut that 9 pounds and made 180 and when Diaz was meant to weigh for the same day weigh in, he didn't because his trainer Cesar Gracie said he ate the night before and wouldn't be at 180...wtf so does Estima have to be at 180 at the weigh in then? he has less time to hydrate and took a lot of energy to make the weight so quickly.

Comment

Not according to this.

Nick Diaz's No-Show Leaves Braulio Estima Steamed
                  By Dave Doyle

May 13, 2012 - LONG BEACH, Calif. -- The request rang out over the public address system at the Long Beach Convention Center several times Saturday night: "Will Nick Diaz please report to the registration table?"

But the call was never heeded.

[size=9]
                  Braulio Estima waits on the mat for Nick Diaz at the World Jiu-Jitsu Expo in Long Beach, Calif., on Saturday, May 12, 2012.

Diaz, mixed martial arts' most enigmatic figure, no-showed his planned submission grappling main event against decorated jiu-jitsu star Braulio Estima.

Diaz, who had previously announced that he was going to donate his purse from the bout to the St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital of Memphis, left behind a disappointed capacity crowd at the World Jiu-Jitsu Expo and one angry, jilted opponent.

"I know he's supposed to be the big MMA bad guy and he's all tough, he's supposed to be showbiz, but what is this?" said Estima, who won two gold medals at the 200 ADCC tourney and is a three-time World Championship gold medalist. "When you make an announcement that you're going to fight for charity and you don't show up, what the hell is going on? It's not about showbiz. It's about being a good person. I don't know what is going on."

The first hints of potential controversy came when Estima weighed in at 189 pounds on Friday for a bout that was supposed to be 180. Both camps agreed the fight would continue if Estima weighed in at 185 on Saturday morning, which he did.

"I'm a professional athlete. I never thought he wouldn't show up," said Estima. "I came from the U.K., I made the weight, I made 185 pounds, I didn't expect him to not show up.
                  I don't understand why he'd run away."

Diaz's trainer, Cesar Gracie, told MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani that his fighter, who is under suspension from MMA due to failing a drug test after his UFC 143 loss to Carlos Condit, had issues with Estima missing weight.

"I don't know," Gracie said. "I know he was mad when he was told Braulio would not make weight last night. No one has seen him today. Braulio ended up making weight this morning."

The event proceed as planned after Diaz missed his check-in with event officials. The remainder of the card went off while officials attempted to find Diaz. BJJ star Robert Drysdale offered to take Diaz's place, but Estima did not want to meet a substitute opponent.

Estima showed up on the main mat as scheduled, and then the announcement was made to the crowd that Diaz had no-showed, putting a damper on what had been a successful event.

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/...teamed#3356086
                  Last edited by Drunken Cat; 05-13-2012, 09:00 AM.

Comment

No excuses for this one. He ****ed up. Estima should've rolled with Drysdale as a replacement though...

Comment

Working...
                    X