Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Quigg signs with Eddie Hearn and Matchroom

Scott Quigg signs with Eddie Hearn and Matchroom
    Opportunities for the super-bantamweight were limited at Hatton Promotions

SCOTT QUIGG has signed a promotional deal with Matchroom. The super-bantamweight, who holds the WBA Interim title, found opportunities hard to come by after his old promoter, Ricky Hatton, lost his television deal with Sky Sports.

“A fighter always wants to be in the ring fighting, that's where you learn and you also make your money to pay your bills,” explained the 24-year-old. “I've got the same hunger as always and I just want to get active again and I think Matchroom Sport and Sky Sports is the place to get that. I can't wait to get back in there, that's where I'm at home and I've missed it.”

The Bolton man has been out of the ring since beating Rendall Munroe in November and is scheduled to make his return in his hometown on June 29 in a 10-rounder.

"We're getting the ball rolling in Bolton," he said. "I've had one fight in a year so it's about getting the momentum going and looking to make waves in the division again.

"No-one sees how hard I train, no-one sees the effort and dedication that I put in to get to the top. I came into boxing wanting to be a World champion, I don't want to settle at British or European - I've come in to be the best. You might need a bit of luck here and there but I think I have the ability and I know I have the desire and dedication to make it happen."

Matchroom's Eddie Hearn - who recently lost the services of another super-bantam Carl Frampton - is pleased to welcome another big name acquisition.

"I’m delighted to welcome Scott Quigg to the team," said Hearn. "He is on the cusp of challenging for a world title, and with the backing of Matchroom Sport and Sky Sports we believe he’ll get there and stay there for a long time.

Quigg's trainer, Joe Gallagher, is relieved that the situation has been resolved.

“He lit up the MEN Arena when he beat Rendall Munroe and I think, in football terms, it's the transfer of the season,” he said. “He needs to get back on the horse, a couple of fights under his belt before going for the big one.”

Great news!

Comment

Excellent news. Im a huge Quigg fan and he needs to get back in action and with a bolder promoter, i like Eddie. I was at the Munroe rematch and he was great, was seriously excited about him but under Warren he's stalled.

Comment

Smart move by Scott and here's hoping he can kick-on a bit and have the fights we want to see and that he deserves.

Comment

Working...
        X