No announcement yet.

chauncey welliver scores 10 rd decision over bert cooper

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chauncey welliver scores 10 rd decision over bert cooper

http://www.********boxing.com/news.php?p=31485&more=1By James Slater - Last night in Jefferson City, Missouri, “Hillyard Hammer” Chauncy Welliver improved to 53-5-5(20) with a wide, near shut-out ten-round UD over an ancient Bert Cooper (yes, Bert Cooper!). Winning almost every round with his youth and speed, 28-year-old Welliver retained his WBC Continental American heavyweight title via scores of 100-90 and 99-91, 99-91. 46-year-old “Smokin’” Bert gave it a go but he is simply too old and slow to be able to fight anywhere near affectively these days. The one-time Joe Frazier protégé is now 38-24(31)..

Welliver, who is based in New Zealand these days and has built up a following by streaking to 18 straight wins, most of them picked up in New Zealand, has not lost since being stopped in the 9th-round by Cuba’s Odlanier Solis back in 2008. Having worked hard, in the gym and in the ring, the one-time “Fat Dorky White Guy” has got down to below 240-pounds and Welliver has fought at a good, active rate (six wins last year alone).

When last night’s match-up was announced, many fans expected a KO win for Welliver. Cooper has not fought since being blitzed inside two-rounds by another Cuban in Luis Ortiz last April, and the veteran from Philly has been stopped some 15 times in his career. But the old guy was able to hang on in until the final bell last night; either due to the toughness he still has or the fact that Welliver is not a huge puncher.

It’s not clear what last night’s win will do for Welliver, but the unbeaten streak continues. It would be interesting to see “The Hillyard Hammer” in there with a ranked opponent, say a Johnathon Banks type, or maybe the winner of the upcoming Monte Barrett-Shane Cameron fight set for New Zealand.

Welliver can fight; we just don’t know how well he can fight against the top guys. As for Cooper, it is hoped he now hangs up the gloves. A pro since way, way back in 1984!, Cooper enjoyed a good career in the 1990s, facing some of the best heavyweights in the sport. But that version of Cooper - the one that saw him rumble on equal terms with the likes of Ray Mercer, Evander Holyfield and Michael Moorer - has long since gone.

However, seeing as he was able to last the distance, I won’t be surprised if Bert convinces himself to stick around.

Vitali Klitschko’s next challenger will be Chauncy Welliver in Frankfurt on June 16. He is rated No 6 by the WBC, but that is based on quantity rather than quality. The 28-year-old, who splits his time between the USA and New Zealand, has scored 17 wins since being stopped by Odlanier Solis in 2008, but the victims have been the usual suspects: Jimmy Hayes, Galen Brown etc. Not one of the guys he has beaten in those 17 fights, is, was ,or even will be, in the WBC top 40, but somehow Welliver has risen to No 6. Never mind the quality feel the quantity.
    Credit to Boxrec.

Damn..
    Last edited by Cloud; 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Bert Cooper vs Evander Holyfield- make it happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger08 View Post
        Bert Cooper vs Evander Holyfield- make it happen!
        Jesus lol.

Seriously though, Vitali vs. Welliver?

That could happen for the world title...

Comment

I love Bert Cooper man... Cooper-Moorer was incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
            Jesus lol.

Seriously though, Vitali vs. Welliver?

That could happen for the world title...
            There's no one else out there Unfortunately. I'd rather see a new guy get destroyed rather than someone they've already beat. (Wlad vs Thompson 2)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger08 View Post
              There's no one else out there Unfortunately. I'd rather see a new guy get destroyed rather than someone they've already beat. (Wlad vs Thompson 2)
              Aye.

May turn out to be a decent fight too.

Comment

Credit to Boxrec.

Damn..
                actually he owns 2 WBC regional titles if i'm correct & has been trying do secure fights with big name contenders. arreola, mitchell, etc turned him down. he doesn't bring enough money to the table. he's lost 60lbs & at least has been active. i'd like to see him fight a guy like cameron, meehan, leapai since they all fight in the same region. welliver fights in the US defending his WBC continental americas title & he has the WBC china title(lol!) & is the interim WBO asian pacific champion. he tried several times to get a fight with tua who was the champ at the time but he lost it to barrett. welliver will get the winner of cameron\barrett possibly. barrett won't fight him though. if cameron somehow pulls it off then i see welliver\cameron happening. welliver should fight meehan or leapai.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                  I love Bert Cooper man... Cooper-Moorer was incredible.
                  bert cooper had some very good fights. he was one of the top gatekeepers in the 80's\90's...

Comment

Credit to Boxrec.

Damn..
                    didn't hear about this fight...welliver can take a punch but that's about it. he has improved over the years & is very durable but he hasn't exactly beat anyone. he lost to solis by 9th rd tko but he weighed 290lbs...

Comment

Working...
                    X