No announcement yet.

Is Canelo's punching power overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony Birts View Post
    I think it is because he couldnt knockout Shane Mosley, but he knocked out all his other opponents with ease. Shane Mosley had the same come-forward style as all of Canelo's opponents. He landed over 50% of his power punches on Shane Mosley and he couldnt even knock him down.
    He's not really a one punch KO artist. However, every punch that connects for Canelo is a hard sturdy punch. His first punch in his combination probably is as hard as his last punch in the combination.

Comment

I think people here overrate his power. He has pop, no doubt about it, but I can't see him 1 punch KO'ing a fighter (even though that straight right hand he landed on Trout was very solid and could've knocked out a lot of 54'ers). This being said, a lot of people underrate his hand speed.

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyLungs

how is it that a 150lb pac had mosley running scared with every punch he landed yet 170+lb 5'9" canelo lands shot after shot after shot and mosley was still coming forward and still trying to exchange
        It's actually very simple, the punch you don't see is the one that hurts and Pac has very fast hands. That's why Mayorga used to let people punch him in the face all the time because he could see the punch coming and that allowed him to take the punch.

Comment

Given his level of opposition, this topic is definitely debatable. The verdict is still out on him.

Comment

He knocked out Tata "head of steel" with one punch though

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
              I think people here overrate his power. He has pop, no doubt about it, but I can't see him 1 punch KO'ing a fighter (even though that straight right hand he landed on Trout was very solid and could've knocked out a lot of 54'ers). This being said, a lot of people underrate his hand speed.
              You didn't see the Baldomir fight?

Comment

No man, how could you say that, he has amazing KO wins against shot Cintron, Alfonso Gomez (doubtful stoppage), LWW Josesito Lopez and some other superstars. He's by far the most devastating puncher in boxing.

Comment

Very overrated. Put it this way, he has almost the same KO % as Floyd and he's been fighting lesser opposition.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

I don't think his power is overrated. He hits hard for a 154 pounder. If he can't hurt Mayweather then I have overrated his power. I think Floyd is going to get hurt.In less than six weeks how much power Canelo does or does not have will be on display unless of course he can't hit Floyd with clean power punches. Canelo said he will try to hit Floyd hard and often to the body. He just turned 23 and he improves with every fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X