No announcement yet.

Finding a trainer/gym for a friend in India

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a trainer/gym for a friend in India

I'm writing on behalf of my friend Rohit in India. He has dreamed of being a boxer all of his life. Unfortunately, he is from a poor family and boxing isn't considered a real sport in India. He's 23 and has been a street fighter most of his life. I think for his size, he would be a light heavyweight. I've been trying to find him trainers in India, and I have, but most of them won't show up at sessions or only focus on the younger boxers. If you do make it in boxing in India, it's because you are well connected or bribe your way into the sport. I know he's older to try to get into the game but this guy is a beast. He trains like crazy, loves to fight and has the heart and drive to do it. His family have kicked him out of the home because he has this dream and he is living hand to mouth in order to pursue boxing. He just needs a chance, a mentor, someone who can harness all his strength and teach him the fundamentals. He is willing to work odd jobs, clean toilets, live on the street, anything to have a chance to see if he has what it takes. Is there anyone here who can help me help him get out of India in order to find a legit trainer? If he could move to the US, it would be amazing, but our immigration laws prohibit that. I've been looking at the UK, Canada, Cuba and Mexico. If anyone has any advice or connections to help my friend out, I'd be so appreciative!

Thanks in advance!

Lara Williams

I mean i know little about India but they do have a few good fighters at the olympics and commonwealth games-surely there must be a gym he could find that will train him??

I have no ability to help in the situation but i wish the best for your friend.

Comment

Thanks, but you have to be WELL connected to fight in India.

Comment

I'd ask on reddit or something I doubt you'll find anyone here who can help.

I know there was some super popular Olympic boxer from india awhile ago, so there must be a gym somewhere, but I have no clue.

Comment

Yes, Vijender Singh. Sadly, not many boxers come out of India. It's definitely an untapped market. Thanks for the response though!

Comment

Working...
          X