Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Floyd Mayweather be the GOAT if he??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Floyd Mayweather be the GOAT if he??

Ok, Im going to do some alternate history, and lay out floyd's career from a what-if perspective,, I plan on doing this with some other fighters like tyson and roy jones,, but first i will start will floyd. I am just simply laying out a career scenario of floyd, and if these events happened, would you consider him the GOAT or how would you rank him, and i will only go with meaningful "name" fights and skip the tomato cans

1996- gold medal, turns pro

1997- 3-0 floyd fights Emmanual Augustus in a tough fight, but wins
    9-0 floyd fights aging jorge paez for a minor intercontintal belt

1998- 14-0 floyd fights and stops gatti in 10, similar to gatti-ivan
    15-0 wins eliminator vs undefeated euro
    16-0 beats genaro for 130 title
    17-0 beats manfredy

1999- fights four times, beats ivan robinson and 3 guys he really did fight
    2000- fights twice, beating famoso hernadez
    2001- beats corrales unifies 130
    beats prince naz @130 on HBO ppv 400k buyrate, mostly by naz fans
    Beats jesus chavez

2002- Beats JLC controversially, wins rematch clearly for lw title

2003- beats #1 contender lazcano,
    unifies vs spadafora, on HBO ppv buyrate 350k
    beats stevie johnston on HBO ppv, it bombs with 200k

2004- moves to 140 beats corley for #1 contender

2005- beats undefeated david diaz in eliminator
    Beats kosta tsyzu for 140 title on HBO ppv 400k buyrate
    Beats morales on HBO ppv buyrate 500k (instead of raheem fight)

2006- beats shambra in first welter fight
    Beats zab judah for ibf belt on HBO ppv 410k buyrate
    Beats baldomir for lineal welter title HBO ppv 375k

2007- beats oscar for 154 belt HBO ppv 2.3 mil buyrate
    Beats shane mosely HBO ppv 1.6 mil buyrate

2008- beats Hatton on HBO ppv 1 mil buyrate
    Beats oscar in rematch at 147 HBO ppv 1.5 mil buyrate

2009- Beats Margs by dec, HBO ppv 1.3 mil Buyrate
    Beats Cotto by dec HBO ppv 1.5 mil buyrate

2010- Beats reigning lw champ JMM at 147 HBO ppv 1.1 Buyrate

2011- Beats 140 champ khan at 147 Hbo ppv 900k
    Fights manny and loses by robbery HBO ppv 2.5 mil Buyrate

2012- Fights manny rematch, wins by a gift HBO ppv 2.3 Mil buyrate
    Rubber match vs manny, ko's manny in 6 HBO ppv 2.4 mil buyrate

2013- Defeats ghost guerrero Showtime ppv 800k
    Defeats 154 champ Canelo at 154,, no catchweight showtime ppv 2.2 mil buyrate

2014- Beats tim bradley showtime ppv 1.2 mil buyrate
    Beats danny garcia showtime ppv 1.3 mil buyrate

2015- Beats devon alexander showtime ppv 900k
    Beats broner in farewell fight on showtime ppv 1.8 mil buyrate

Now if floyd did all of this, going from 130-154 and lineal champ at 130, 135, 140, 147, 154,,,
    Having fought the manny trilogy with both winning controversial decisions and floyd ultimately being the one to ko manny

with a career record of something like 54-1, would floyd be considered the GOAT or how high would you rank him

If you notice, i try and match up a logical progression of when certain fights could be made and keep it realistic enough,

examples would be

jorge paez did fight for a minor belt in 97, why not vs floyd
    shane-floyd should have been the next fight after oscar 1, IMO shane was coming off solid stoppages over vargas, and beat collazo, plus he was oscar's nemesis so lets see how floyd would deal with him,,
    Floyd-morales should have headlined a ppv instead of having zahir raheem vs morales, morales was fresh off his big win over manny, manny would have been on the undercard

Comment

If his career unfolded like that he'd be pretty high on the ATG list, most definitely.

Not sure if he'd be #1.

You can say this about most greats though. If they won all of their fights.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        If his career unfolded like that he'd be pretty high on the ATG list, most definitely.

Not sure if he'd be #1.

True, but i try and be as objective as i can be,, i think floyd would win nearly all those fights mentioned except for one of the manny fights,,,

When i do tyson, you will see some more losses,, floyd is just so good its hard to saddle him with a loss to the likes of spadafora, johnston, morales, tsyzu etc

I plan on doing a tyson, and a roy jones one, maybe a joe calzaghe,, sometime in the future,,

I love daydreaming about how career's should have gone,, i would love to be either a matchmaker for a promoter or cable company, or a handler for a superstar,,,

Comment

What about fighting Margharito after the Hatton win, after Margs beat Cotto and then beating Cotto after that, rather than much later when he did?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            What about fighting Margharito after the Hatton win, after Margs beat Cotto and then beating Cotto after that, rather than much later when he did?
            I had them like that,,, in my alternate history,, margs-cotto happens just like it does, and floyd is busy with hatton and oscar rematch,,

once those are over with,, margs-floyd happens instead of shane-margs,,,
            and later in the year instead of cotto-manny, we got cotto-floyd

Would have loved to seen cotto undefeated fight floyd undefeated in 08, but realistically floyd would have chased a hatton and oscar rematch first, handled that business, then moved on to margs and cotto in 09

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Not sure if he'd be #1.

So basically no matter what floyd did/does in his career, he would never be #1 ATG

Does SRR have if wrapped up completely....

IMO if floyd accomplished all this i would have him somewhere top 5,, he would probably be top 3,, srr, floyd, ali, armstrong, srl for me

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                Ok, Im going to do some alternate history, and lay out floyd's career from a what-if perspective,, I plan on doing this with some other fighters like tyson and roy jones,, but first i will start will floyd. I am just simply laying out a career scenario of floyd, and if these events happened, would you consider him the GOAT or how would you rank him, and i will only go with meaningful "name" fights and skip the tomato cans

17-0 beats manfredy

Beats jesus chavez

Now if floyd did all of this, going from 130-154 and lineal champ at 130, 135, 140, 147, 154,,,
                Having fought the manny trilogy with both winning controversial decisions and floyd ultimately being the one to ko manny

with a career record of something like 54-1, would floyd be considered the GOAT or how high would you rank him
                Great post.

I'm not sure if #1 but quite possibly for me. He'd certainly be top 10 for me.

I think too many 'historians' wouldn't rate him high enough even with this career because he was too recent and he did didn't fight 50-100 journeymen in between these fights...

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post

17-0 beats manfredy

Beats jesus chavez

Cool post I think he'd be right up there. but I think you'd need to throw in a career defining insane and seemingly impossible ask as an uber fight at the end of his career to confirm the no 1 spot ... e.g. he comes out of retirement to defeat a GGG that has unified and terrorized the middleweight division for a few years (with no catchweight) in 2017 for the undisputed middleweight championship as his last fight and he's there lol
                  Last edited by Daddy T; 12-09-2013, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
                    Cool post I think he'd be right up there. but I think you'd need to throw in a career defining insane and seemingly impossible ask as an uber fight at the end of his career to confirm the no 1 spot ... e.g. he comes out of retirement to defeat a GGG that has unified and terrorized the middleweight division for a few years (with no catchweight) in 2017 for the undisputed middleweight championship as his last fight and he's there lol
                    yeah, that would be sweet,, but honestly who the hell has ever done that,, SRR never cameback for some mega fight,, neither did ali,, i guess if ali beat holmes then that would have done it,,

SRL is the only guy i can think of when he cameback and beat hagler, but even then he stuck around and fought hearns, duran, donny, norris and camacho,,

Comment

Working...
                    X