A smart approach to starting boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A smart approach to starting boxing?

Goals
    I'm not looking to be a professional or anything I'm just looking to learn a new sport, get fit and maybe get to a level where I could do some sparring.

Boxing Specific-
    Following from *************;
    Frequency: Building up to 5 times per week (2 days with a trainer and 3 at home)

At the gym the sessions are usually warm up, ab work, then heavy bag/pads/ technique work for the rest of the session.

At home;
    1. Warmup - Skipping - 5 rounds of 3 minutes/round, 1 minute rest in between

2. Shadowboxing - 3 rounds of 3 minutes/round, 1 minute rest in between.
    1st round - focus on footwork
    2nd round - add a jab to your footwork
    3rd round - do 1-2 combinations for the entire round.

3. Heavy Bag: (all are 3 minute rounds, with 1 minute rest)
    Round 1: Footwork - push the bag and move around it, get the feel for moving in a proper stance. Move with the bag, around it and against it. Become fleet footed.
    Round 2: Jab to the head. Move, stick and jab. Move stick and double jab. Practice your jabs the entire round (good shoulder workout)
    Round 3: 1-2 combinations - Move and jab/right cross (straight right). Make sure you move right after you throw. Think circles and angles. Switch directions.
    Round 4: 1-2-3 combination - Move and jab, right cross, left hook combination (these are your basic punches).
    Round 5: Free for all - hit away
    Round 6: Sprints - 1 minute of continuous punching to the head. Think speed, not power - let your hands fly as fast as you can.

If you want, add another Round but this time focus on 1 minute of power punches rather than speed. (If you are beginning, you are going to be wasted by now...)

Roadwork
    I had knee surgery a couple of years ago and haven't ever really gradually gotten back into running so everytime I start I struggle with knee pain. Program is from BreakingMuscle.com..

3 x per week
    Week 1 ***8211; Jog 1/Walk 4 x 6 (eg Jog 1min,walk 4mins, repeat 6 times)
    Week 2 ***8211; Jog 2/Walk 3 x 6
    Week 3 ***8211; Jog 3/Walk 2 x 6
    Week 4 ***8211; Jog 4/Walk 1 x 6
    Week 5 ***8211; Jog 6/ Walk 4 x 4
    Week 6 ***8211; Jog 7/ Walk 3 x 4
    Week 7 ***8211; Jog 8/ Walk 2 x 4
    Week 8 ***8211; Jog 12/Walk 3 x 3
    Week 9 ***8211; Jog 13/Walk 2 x 3
    Week 10 ***8211; Jog 14/Walk 1 x 3
    Week 11 ***8211; Jog 17/Walk 3 x 3
    Week 12 ***8211; Jog 19/Walk 1 x 3
    Week 13 ***8211; Jog 60 mins.
    Week 14-Whenever - 2X45 min runs a week, 1X60-90min run
    When I can handle that easily and consistently I'll drop 1-2 of the runs and do interval training instead (400s/Hill Sprints)

If my knee still can't handle that I'll sub running for bike.

Strength training
    Day 1
    Squat, 3 sets of 5
    Bench Press, 3 sets of 5
    Rows, 3 sets of 5
    Ab + Neck work
    Day 2
    Deadlift, 3 sets of 3
    Military Press, 3 sets of 5
    Chinups or pull ups, 3 sets of 10, add weight if neccessary
    Ab + Neck work
    Day 3
    Step-ups, 3 sets of 10
    Push Press or Incline Press or Dips, 3 sets of 5
    Power Cleans or Power Snatches, 5 sets of 3
    Ab + Neck work

Opinions?
    Obviously it's a lot for starting out. Starting out with just the boxing days in the gym, when I get used to 5 days a week doing that I'll add in the roadwork, and then when I can do 5 days boxing and the 3 runs a week I'll start adding in the strength work then.

It looks good and the deadlifts and squats with low and heavy reps will probably help your explosive strength but don't overthink your training to much. If your plan is just to get fit to do some sparring you don't need extreme preparation. Some good cardio work and knowing the basic technique is enough. As long as you spar with someone that knows to take it easy on you it will be fine.

Comment

Working...
    X