Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If power = speed squared x mass. Why arnt the fastest boxers the hardest hitters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If power = speed squared x mass. Why arnt the fastest boxers the hardest hitters?

Roy Jones, Macho Commacho, Tyson, Pacman, Sugar Ray, these guys had power dont get me wrong but they wernt the MOST powerful.

Guys like Earnie Shavers, Julian Jackson, Hearns, Prime Foreman etc were and these guys are significantly slower, and its not like they are carrying more weight either.

What gives?

technique......

Comment

You don't sit down on your fastest punches. Sitting down generates power

Comment

Technique puts the mass into the punch.

Comment

A lot of faster punchers don't actually sit down on their punches. Since someone with fast hands is usually gonna be blessed with other athletic tools he has some leeway in how he approaches a fight.

Khan can do magnificent body work when he focuses on it, but he would rather throw 4 or 5 shots then get slept inbetween.
          Last edited by Biolink; 03-09-2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
            You don't sit down on your fastest punches. Sitting down generates power
            You cant tell me guys like tyson and comacho didnt sit down on their punches can you?

Also dosnt sitting down on your punches develop more SPEED and therefore power? Since your leg especially your calves assist the hip rotation?

Comment

Originally posted by miniq View Post
              Technique puts the mass into the punch.
              They all have good fundimental power generation technique dont they? At such a high level?

Comment

There's more variables to it than just that. Btw Tyson had huge power I don't think he was a good example lol.

Honestly, I don't think anyone really know just HOW these guys get that kind of power (The julian jackson, randall bailey included, etc). Many punch with perfect technique and sit down on their punches but dont get those results. Some of these guys didnt even seem to sit down on their ounches OR have great technique...that leaves us to believe you're born with it. Something in the tendons/bone density, etc...similar to high leapers, fast pitchers, runners, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                  Roy Jones, Macho Commacho, Tyson, Pacman, Sugar Ray, these guys had power dont get me wrong but they wernt the MOST powerful.

Guys like Earnie Shavers, Julian Jackson, Hearns, Prime Foreman etc were and these guys are significantly slower, and its not like they are carrying more weight either.

What gives?
                  First of all Tyson and Pacquiao ARE among the hardest hitters of all time, but they're not at the top of the list I'll give you that.

Punching power at this level is pretty much an enigma. Leg strength, back strength, commitment, muscle contraction, hip rotation, wrist rotation, all those things probably play a role in having devastating power but to what degree? Nobody knows for sure.

Comment

You answered it in your own question, speed x MASS. If the boxer is not putting his full weight into the punch due to his technique then the MASS is not going to be very large. It really is that simple.

Comment

Working...
                    X