No announcement yet.

Hypocrisy abounds in superfight fiasco

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MOREBASS View Post
    You also have to wonder if the lawsuit was a scare tactic in order to get Team Mayweather to ease up on their stance on the testing. I have no doubt that Team Pacquiao see the demands for additional testing as allegations, and harrasssment.

Though, does anyone else find it strange that Haymon or Golden Boy isn't requesting this testing be done in the Berto-Mosley fight? If anything it would make more sense there, as Mosley was an admitted user.
    Yeah, it makes sense to request it of both fighters. And perhaps it'll set a precedent for random testing for all future fights.

Comment

Though, does anyone else find it strange that Haymon or Golden Boy isn't requesting this testing be done in the Berto-Mosley fight? If anything it would make more sense there, as Mosley was an admitted user.
      Well it is Mayweather requesting the extra testing, Golden Boy is only acting on his wishes. Haymon, Dibella and Berto could have asked but they were anxious to get the fight with Shane and didn't want to muck up this rather large oppurtunity.

Different fighters in different positions in the sport. Although if FLoyd was to fight Mosley I would be interested to see what his stance would be on the matter.

Comment

more people need to read this!

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
          again, what is Mosley doing that is unusal or special? Thats what all of this is about

Well, according to GBP and Team Mayweather, this is about making sure that everyone is on even terms, and playing fair.

What your saying is that Pacquiao is being singled out for his accomplishments, which I actually believe is true.

If they truly are doing this to 'clean up the sport' as they say...then it shouldn't matter that a fighter is doing anything unusual or special, as you put it.

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
          Well it is Mayweather requesting the extra testing, Golden Boy is only acting on his wishes. Haymon, Dibella and Berto could have asked but they were anxious to get the fight with Shane and didn't want to muck up this rather large oppurtunity.

Different fighters in different positions in the sport. Although if FLoyd was to fight Mosley I would be interested to see what his stance would be on the matter.
          I hear you.

Iole insists that it was Haymon who made for the push for additional testing, which is why I would find it odd if he didn't do the same in the Berto fight, being that Shane does have a history of using PED's.

Comment

Wait, didn't Mayweather Jr. say in his twitter account to go and ask Ellerbe and about the tests? It doesn't seem like Mayweather Jr. had anything to do with asking about the additional tests.

Ellerbe insisted that Mayweather had nothing to do with it and it was the job of Hayman and himself “to protect him and give him the best chance to be successful” although in the same breath he said that inside the ring Mayweather will “have no problem with Pacquiao, none whatsoever.
            http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24100

I want olympic drug for these big fights but the way it came about for this specific fight was stupid....Mayweather Sr. should've shut his trap and asked for it behind the scenes instead of publically accusing Pacquiao of steriods. Why the hell do you think Pacquiao is so hesistant of agreeing to all the demands of Team Mayweather regardless of his belief that testing near a fight would drain him.

Comment

I hear you.

Iole insists that it was Haymon who made for the push for additional testing, which is why I would find it odd if he didn't do the same in the Berto fight, being that Shane does have a history of using PED's.

Floyd is in a much better position to make that demand, if this figh does not happean for Floyd I am pretty sure Floyd will still be a very well paid fighter in his next fights, Berto on the other hand needs to build his star by any means possible.

Maybe they should have asked though, maybe they just doubt that Mosley is taking anymore because he would be kind of dumb to since he did get away with it once and the public doesn't care much about the matter with him.

Comment

I was just about to post this. Great article by Iole.

Both sides are at fault, and will be to blame if this fight falls through for whatever reason. Period.

This quote is so true, and why they need to figure this out behind closed doors immediately, for the sake of the sport:

Instead, the endless back-and-forth has given the impression that boxing is a lawless sport run by those looking for what they can take out of it, not how they can build it.

With no governing body and promoters willing to do whatever it takes to make money off of their star fighter, sometimes not making great matchups either because of grudges or the matchup doesnt favor them, or the risk/reward isnt enough, of course fighters are going to take as much as they can from the sport, its either that, or retire broke. i dont blame fighters for doing that at all.

and yes, boxing is largely lawless, its the only sport without an international governing body, which means every fight can have all kinds of different contract/stipulations rules etc. Basically you can negotiatie the rules as you go along, which is why this drug testing thing to me, is just about negotiating the rules as you please. im not against it because the commission doesnt choose glove sizes, contract amounts, minimums or maximums, no salary cap, nothing. the commission provides a certain set of rules depending on the state, but give them enough money, and theyll bend them (see margarito/cotto glove issue)

Comment

Originally posted by rao007 View Post
                  Wait, didn't Mayweather Jr. say in his twitter account to go and ask Ellerbe and about the tests? It doesn't seem like Mayweather Jr. had anything to do with asking about the additional tests.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24100

I want olympic drug for these big fights but the way it came about for this specific fight was stupid....Mayweather Sr. should've shut his trap and asked for it behind the scenes instead of publically accusing Pacquiao of steriods. Why the hell do you think Pacquiao is so hesistant of agreeing to all the demands of Team Mayweather regardless of his belief that testing near a fight would drain him.
                  Is Ellerbe not the guy who speaks publicly on behave of Floyd Maywether?

Why his team wants the test is not much of an issue if they believe the tests to be a good idea to protect their man, basless speculation or not.

Comment

Why his team wants the test is not much of an issue if they believe the tests to be a good idea to protect their man, basless speculation or not.
                    While this is true, it was not a very good idea for any one of their team members to accuse Pacquiao of anything, without proof. It just makes the demand look like harrassment, and its the reason for the pending lawsuit.

Even GBP made themselves look foolish by speaking on the allegations. Some real foot in the mouth ****, if you ask me.

Comment

Even GBP made themselves look foolish by speaking on the allegations. Some real foot in the mouth ****, if you ask me.
                      You live in the Bay Area, when you turn on KNBR, they arent talking about if mayweathers demands are excessive or GBP put their foot in their mouth, the only questions people have are "why is taking the tests such an issue".

Comment

Working...
                      X