No announcement yet.

Clinching and Boxing.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clinching and Boxing.....

Now should we allow Fighters to initiate 88 clinches in a fight like in the Ward-Kessler?

In the Kessler fight in round one Mikkel Kessler was cutting off the ring beautifully against Andre ward, then just as about he was going to punch Andre clinched and off to the chases again, Kessler cuts of the ring, clinch, cuts off the ring, clinch for about the entire bout.

The Ref allowed ward to initiate 88 clinches in a fight without a point deducted, so should we support what Andre Ward did against Kessler?\

You people always say the Phrase "Clinching is part of the Game, if you don't like that then you don't know **** about boxing." So, should 88 excessive Clinches in one fight be respected?

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
    Now should we allow Fighters to initiate 88 clinches in a fight like in the Ward-Kessler?

In the Kessler fight in round one Mikkel Kessler was cutting off the ring beautifully against Andre ward, then just as about he was going to punch Andre clinched and off to the chases again, Kessler cuts of the ring, clinch, cuts off the ring, clinch for about the entire bout.

The Ref allowed ward to initiate 88 clinches in a fight without a point deducted, so should we support what Andre Ward did against Kessler?\

You people always say the Phrase "Clinching is part of the Game, if you don't like that then you don't know **** about boxing." So, should 88 excessive Clinches in one fight be respected?
    Learn to get out of a clinch or not letting your opponent clinch you, period.

There are legal type of clinches btw and Kessler was beaten soundly even w/o the clinching and headbutts. I know it's popular around here to discredit Ward and complain about him but the difference in knowledge, speed and skills were all visible on that fight. Ward beat him to the punch almost every time.

You don't have to like Ward's style fine but don't try to rewrite history assuming he only achieved what he did cause of dirty tactics.
    Dirty or not he was always a step or more ahead of his opponents and that paid off.

Comment

Personally I think excessive clinching should be treated as seriously - if not more so - than other more dramatic fouls such as low blows and headbutts or elbows. If allowed to persist it can totally change the outcome of a fight, more so than any of those other fouls I listed (usually).

Take the Khan vs. Collazo fight for example. Every single time Collazo got in close Khan held him and pushed his head down, resulting in the referee calling break and Collazo getting no work done. It completely eliminated any inside fighting and strongly put the fight in Khan's favour because fighting from the outside was the only thing of any consequence.

Inside fighting is an equally important side of boxing and for it to be shutdown like that not only spoils the fight and makes it ugly to watch but is also grossly unfair to the fighter who is prevented from utilising it by continuous breaching of the rules (that typically goes unpunished).

There needs to be a stern warning, two separate point deductions and finally a disqualification. I absolutely would not be opposed to seeing a boxer get disqualified for repeated and excessive clinching during a bout. It's criminally overlooked and rarely receives anything more than a slap on the wrist, much to the detriment of certain boxers.

Comment

Broner also clinches excessively. But Maidana was like a mad dog Broner just couldn't tie. Jerking elbows down frees.

Comment

Originally posted by dannnnn View Post
          Personally I think excessive clinching should be treated as seriously - if not more so - than other more dramatic fouls such as low blows and headbutts or elbows. If allowed to persist it can totally change the outcome of a fight, more so than any of those other fouls I listed (usually).

Take the Khan vs. Collazo fight for example. Every single time Collazo got in close Khan held him and pushed his head down, resulting in the referee calling break and Collazo getting no work done. It completely eliminated any inside fighting and strongly put the fight in Khan's favour because fighting from the outside was the only thing of any consequence.

Inside fighting is an equally important side of boxing and for it to be shutdown like that not only spoils the fight and makes it ugly to watch but is also grossly unfair to the fighter who is prevented from utilising it by continuous breaching of the rules (that typically goes unpunished).

There needs to be a stern warning, two separate point deductions and finally a disqualification. I absolutely would not be opposed to seeing a boxer get disqualified for repeated and excessive clinching during a bout. It's criminally overlooked and rarely receives anything more than a slap on the wrist, much to the detriment of certain boxers.
          I'm gonna presume that you didn't mean that. I can't wrap my head around why someone would feel that a veteran tactic like clinching should be treated more seriously than illegal and dramatic fouls such as low blows, headbutts and or elbows.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
            I'm gonna presume that you didn't mean that. I can't wrap my head around why someone would feel that a veteran tactic like clinching should be treated more seriously than illegal and dramatic fouls such as low blows, headbutts and or elbows.
            If I didn't mean it I wouldn't have written it. And if you can't wrap your head around why someone would feel that way then read it again because I clearly explained my reasoning. Also note that I wrote 'excessive clinching', i.e. when it is part of a particular boxer's gameplan to clinch throughout the fight so as to negate their opponent's offence (not just when a fighter gets hurt and has to tie up, for example).

Inside fighting is a very important aspect of boxing and it should not be rendered obsolete just because a referee chooses not to properly enforce the rules. Clinching is a foul and should be treated as such.

Comment

Ward embarrassed himself in the Kessler fight and will pay against ward. It wasn't just the clinching, he used his ****ing head as a battering ram the whole fight

Comment

Clinching shouldn't be allowed is about as valid an argument as you shouldn't be allowed to move away from the other fighter, all I read when someone says clinched too much or he ran all night is my favourite fighter got beat and I cant accept it. If your good enough you find a way to win.

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
                  Ward embarrassed himself in the Kessler fight and will pay against ward. It wasn't just the clinching, he used his ****ing head as a battering ram the whole fight
                  The only one that got embarrassed was Kessler.

Comment

Originally posted by AD86 View Post
                    Clinching shouldn't be allowed is about as valid an argument as you shouldn't be allowed to move away from the other fighter, all I read when someone says clinched too much or he ran all night is my favourite fighter got beat and I cant accept it. If your good enough you find a way to win.
                    You know that's exactly what it is...op never complained about wlad's excessive holding and dry humping in the ring...as long as the clincher is white it's alright is what I'm hearing they just say it in a subtle way sometimes because most times they aren't so subtle about it...bottom line the right man won...more excuses lined up for when Kov loses...😂

Comment

Working...
                    X