No announcement yet.

God does not exist: true or false?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Strictly_UG View Post
    The tooth fairy is a story invented to help little kids get over the trauama of losing teeth.

A thirst for the divine is imprinted into every human being since the beginning of time. Every single civilization has had a hunger and an instinct to search for where they came from.

If you open your eyes and heart.. if you listen carefully.. to the earth, to the stars, to your dreams, then you will know that there is something greater about all this.
    You could easily turn that around and say religion is a story to help people get over the trauma of death/suffering/hopelessness.

we as humans are searching where we came from and we're doing it with empirical analysis, not just making things up that seem nice to us.

that last statement is just pointless, it's so weird and vague like a classic religious guy trying to convert you. what if i just said "look at the stars, all around you, inside your heart, once you dive into the deep depths of your soul and you will see that you are in fact a transvestite."

Comment

• Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      You could easily turn that around and say religion is a story to help people get over the trauma of death/suffering/hopelessness.

we as humans are searching where we came from and we're doing it with empirical analysis, not just making things up that seem nice to us.

that last statement is just pointless, it's so weird and vague like a classic religious guy trying to convert you. what if i just said "look at the stars, all around you, inside your heart, once you dive into the deep depths of your soul and you will see that you are in fact a transvestite."
      I'm have no fear of death trauma or suffering and I've seen plenty in my life. Ive been through all my grandparent's death from beginning to end and watched their decay from human beings into something else, and I work in a hospital ER.

it doesn't matter what you say because you can try put what I said for yourself. My point is there is wisdom all around us, if you only take the time to look.

im being vague because if you want to teach someone something, you dont force your beliefs on them, you have to let them learn on their own.
      Last edited by DARKSEID; 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

The tooth fairy is a story invented to help little kids get over the trauama of losing teeth.

A thirst for the divine is imprinted into every human being since the beginning of time. Every single civilization has had a hunger and an instinct to search for where they came from.

If you open your eyes and heart.. if you listen carefully.. to the earth, to the stars, to your dreams, then you will know that there is something greater about all this.

Even atheists have this hunger. It's just they gave up somewhere along the way for whatever reason or inability. Some people never give up.
        smh....

Comment

• Originally posted by Enayze View Post
          Yeah, you got it nailed down, God is the bad guy and you have the right to judge Him.
          I dont think God is the bad guy at all. I think he doesnt exist.

And i also think you have given up trying to argue your belief that God kills children because of original sin (the talking snake and apple story).
          I dont blame you.

You asked if I thought we have been sinning more recently than before, I pointed out Hitler, Mao, and Stalin, so you had shut up about that question and twisted it into something else.
          No i didnt. Its the same issue. It only seems twisted because your argument is quite ridiculous.
          The examples you gave of sin, were Hitler, Stalin and Mao. And the examples you gave of disasters were Indonesia and Japan.
          So are you now saying they arent connected?

i.e. I explained my position thoroughly, you, for whatever reason just cannot grasp it.
          Another point you have given up on because it clearly is nonsense.

You made an incoherent statement.
          Nah.
          It went like this;
          Me: "As science has understood more about the universe, reasons for believing in god have diminished."
          You: Again just because you find out by what method God used to create the universe does not disqualify God from existence
          Me: By what methods did god create the universe?
          You: The methods by which God created the Universe is up to you and rest of the mankind to find out.

So first you suggest scientific knowledge is actually uncovering Gods methods. But then when asked a simple question asking what his methods were, you switch to..."mankind need to find that out".

So, you dont know. And therefore science has never uncovered any supernatural method at all. Like i said, God does magic. We havent discovered any magic yet.

Again you missed the point completely, or maybe you didn't even bother looking for it. In either case its not that hard to understand.
          Your analogy failed. And again, you give up arguing it. You are saying complexity points to the existence of a creator. Im saying it does not because there is no supernatural cause. You must rely on your God of the gaps crap. Which is an argument from ignorance.

An event can be caused by a supernatural entity (God), through a natural cause, get it?
          Look back at your statement. You start with an assumption God is the creator;
          "...just because you find out by what means God created something does not mean he now automatically does not get credit."

To know how something came to be, you look at the evidence first. The evidence doesnt point to a deity unless you use the gaps fallacy.

First and foremost you are grasping at straws, the bible has been translated into 2,500+ languages, which accounts for roughly 97% of the population, and for the remaining 200,000,000 there is already a project underway to have the bible extended to reach the rest of those people.
          lol, so your God still hasnt reached 200 million people? That was my point. Thanks for the stats.
          It makes no sense at all that an all powerful God chooses to communicate his vital words of salvation and guidance through a book that STILL hasnt reached so many people.

Exactly what passages are you talking about?
          Dont be silly.
          One of the main reasons why there are so many denominations is precisely because of differing interpretations.
          As for specific passages that lead to debates among people, there are too many to remember. But the book of Job always divides people. Abraham sacrificing Issac is another. People even question the 10 commandments, and in fact most of Leviticus and Deuteronomy are often argued over. Then the obvious examples of ****sexuality and the role of women.
          Then there literalists, creationists and those that see the bible as metaphor and allegory.
          And im talking about just the believers.

What kind of question is that? Is anything impossible for God, if He truly is God? Why not ask how exactly can you verify that Jesus brought people back from the dead, or how Jonah survived in a whale for 3 days? These are all miracles that are faith based.
          Right, they cant be verified. All the vital stuff cant actually be proven. Like the talking snake. So you dont know whether the children that God kills with tsunami's were born with original sin. The same original sin that Jesus died saving us from. You dont really know that any of it is true. Thats fine.
          You could of just ticked the "Dont know" option in the poll and saved us both a lot of time!

"Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment." (John 7:24)

Based on your character you are a hypocrite. In anycase you never answered my question you are pro life right?
          lol, Theres always a bible quote to contradict another bible quote. That backs up my earlier point about differing interpretations.

You really dont know my character. And how exactly am i a hypocrite?

Comment

Even atheists have this hunger. It's just they gave up somewhere along the way for whatever reason or inability. Some people never give up.
            ..........what?

If you want to go that route...atheists strive for knowledge to explain our existence much more than religious people do

religion in itself is a cheap copout to explain everything....an explanation that was thought up by ancient civilizations thousands of years ago....sooooooo your quest for knowledge was over before you were even born.

Comment

• Originally posted by Larrysbird View Post

Richard Dawkins admits to Intelligent Design though
              The question was "Is there any possible scenario you could imagine in which intelligent design could be true?" ad he responded that a highly intelligent alien race could have sparked life with a self replicating molecule, but that the intelligent alien race would itself have to have evolved naturalistically through Darwinian means.

It was edited to make it seem stupider.

Actually I think the entire film was edited to make it seem stupider!

Comment

• [QUOTE]
                Originally posted by Enayze View Post
                Yes it did, its called the big bang, and just about every reputable scientist believes that.
                It's sad when people argue over things that they haven't even taken the time to educate themselves on. The Big Bang isn't something just coming from nothing, it's the theory of how the universe as we know it began. It doesn't mean there was nothing there, before the Big Bang it was physics but we don't know.

There has not been any conclusive tests that show how living matter from non living matter is possible. If there was I would like you to provide me with a link that proves what you are saying.
                There haven't been conclusive tests you are right but you should look into the experiments of scientists like Sidney W. Fox, Geoffrey W. Hoffmann and many others who have given hypothesis of how this could be possible.

So I bet you feel like you are one of the few enlightened ones.
                I feel like the realization that there is no god is something that came about because of my personal inquiries to what I was being taught throughout my life. I studied the history of it, how the Bible is full of inconsistencies and realized it was nothing more than an ancient book that was written to control people and doesn't apply in today's world.

No religious person that i have worked with has ever "forced" God down anyones throat, and I have worked with quite a few. In fact religious people are some of the kindest folk you can meet. However, It's usually people like you who instigate an argument with religious people so that you could post it here on BS and somehow try and show your delusional moral superiority.
                God is forced down our throats everyday. When politicians want to vote with their religious ideals first and foremost, when gays aren't given the rights they deserve, or women or any other group they deem immoral or against what they believe. The fact we have "In God We Trust" on our money or "Under God" in our pledge of allegiance.

We are forced to accept god in our public places over and over again, even though the founders of this country did not want that and specifically talked about keeping any religion out of the public square.

I'm not talking about individuals, I'm talking about people that want to run this country in a religious way when it shouldn't be. You can believe in any fairy tale you want, just keep those beliefs out of my life, away from my tax dollars and give the same rights to everyone.

Comment

• God doesn't not exist. Yes or no.

Comment

• I believe in God, since to believe that there is no greater intelligence or universal consciousness is kind of silly. Do we deny that there is an intelligence greater than ourselves? And I'm not talking about ET, I'm talking about greater than ET. Einstein believed in God, Newton believed in God. So will I.

The Creator

Last edited by sparkman0811; 03-28-2014, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X