Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loaded left hook, hips and foot doesn't align, how do I fix it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loaded left hook, hips and foot doesn't align, how do I fix it?

I have a boxing stance where both my toes point to the right.

I use the foot twist method, where my foot pivots all the way around, I know the pros stay rooted but im a beginner and I need to do it this way till ive mastered it.

On every punch my hip and foot stay in perfect alignment with each other....

....except for the loaded left hook, the loaded left hook is the left hook that follows after a right cross , the right cross almost puts you in the opposite stance and you come back with a massive left hook.

The problem is my left foot stays where it is but my hips turn all the way around on the right cross, so now on the loaded left hook my foot is near the finish position but my hip is all teh way back at the start position....

...So when I bring the hip around the leg doesn't come around with it simultaneously and in alignment like it does with every other punch.

(I still get power, im using my hip all the way but the form is off because the leg doesn't move with the hip at the same time, which makes using the extra power of leg drive on a loaded left hook very hard to do)

Is this normal?

How do I fix it?
    Last edited by AlexKid; 05-29-2016, 09:03 PM.

Not sure I fully understand but it just sounds like your balance and foot placement is just bad....

I envision what you said as one of two ways... You're throwing the right too long and thus turning your body too far and trying to compensate with your hip when in actuality the right hand should be thrown and you should be using the same motion (not just hips but upper body! so you pull the left shoulder back too instead of keeping it static and misaligned with your body) to crank the left hook.. Your right hand is cranking the left hand and disguising the tells.

The second thing I envision it as is you just having your feet just too badly set....you have your feet set pointed the wrong way... If they're pointing towards the right (both of them) you're going to blow your damn knee out dude if you're turning that much into your right and trying to come back with a left. You're basically coiling up tension in your hip/lower body and releasing when you throw the left like that. Of course there's "power" in it... But it's dangerous to your body and also dangerous in that your footing is stuck. If someone moves to their right or your left you're f ucked. They can see right down your left and it'll just require a small dip to their right and your entire head and body is exposed not to mention you wouldnt even be facing them.... They could even just jab you right down the pipe after moving and push you off your feet.

Pivot your right foot in (forward and into you so to speak) with the motion as normal and THEN pivot your left foot inwards as your right foot settles back into neutral position. Doing this keeps your balance and everything aligned because you're putting it there. It's not going to fall into place..it comes with time. It's about learning your balance and leverage. Just because you can get leverage on a shot already doesn't mean you can do it fluidly.

Watch Rigondieaux when he measures. He's a southpaw so just reverse the motion. He sometimes just measures his left and throws it half out there and then throws his right. He doesnt out everything behind it he almost looks like he's just sparring or hitting a bag since he doesnt even throw it to land just does the motion. Sometimes he'll just throw a jab instead of a right hook but his feet placement is beyond perfection.

Now if only we could all move like Rigo....

(Prepares for the usual criticism after trying to help you) :P

Comment

If I'm understanding your description right then fixing your stance would help.It seems really messed up. If the problem is that you have too much weight on your lead leg to turn on it after your rear cross though, then you may just want to lean back somewhat as you throw your hook so you can distribute your weight better and swivel your feet. I don't mean lean your head back, but rather just center your hips between your feet more.

Comment

Working...
      X