Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many musical artists today are using their work for socio-political statement?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many musical artists today are using their work for socio-political statement?

I don't listen to much modern music, but I find that, on inspection, very few artists appear to be using their art to comment on anything but the familiar concepts of love.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of PJ Harvey, who most recently attacked foreign policy on her album "Let England Shake":

Note the mocking of the old British Empire by using a reworking of "Constantinople" as the backing theme... PJ Harvey gives a state of the address in 2011, and her prognosis is not positive:

I think Beck also touched on similar themes with The Information, but his last two albums seem to have veered away from direct political comment.

Comment

nah the days of the cranberries etc are long gone man, today its more like they need music to their video ideas.. its zero personality people selling 3min commercials to sheep as opposed to artists and musicians pouring out expressions.

Comment

pj harvey's latest album seems like another political album

Comment

I don't know if Radiohead are still a group and I don't follow them particularly but I guess Thom Yorke was always socio-political.

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyCage View Post
            pj harvey's latest album seems like another political album
            Yeah, I see this has been her longest break between albums.

Comment

Originally posted by iLovesoccermoms View Post
              nah the days of the cranberries etc are long gone man, today its more like they need music to their video ideas.. its zero personality people selling 3min commercials to sheep as opposed to artists and musicians pouring out expressions.
              there are no bands like rage against the machine anymore, where every song was about socio -political issues like the colonization of Mexico or US Imperialism. Now everybody wants to get rich quick and be the next big star with millions of followers on twitter and instagram

Comment

Stop these **** threads

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfan91 View Post
                  Stop these **** threads
                  Fuck off. Twat.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfan91 View Post
                    Stop these **** threads
                    lol, do you miss the usual threads about drake's dick size? the rest of us get tired of reading that ****, these threads are a nice change from the lounge bull****

Comment

Working...
                    X