No announcement yet.

Darchinyan targets Montiel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darchinyan targets Montiel

WBC/WBA super flyweight champion Vic Darchinyan (35-2-1, 27 KOs) has recently returned from a six week holiday with his wife where they visited Armenia, Russia and Fiji. Darchinyan talked with ********* to say he stopped chasing a fight with Nonito Donaire (24-1, 16 KOs) as he knows he will never give him a rematch and is now focused on a bout with WBC/WBO bantamweight champion Fernando Montiel (43-2-2, 33 KOs). Darchinyan said, “I know Nonito Donaire will never fight me, he refused to sign the contract he had for six weeks that would have made the fight happened. I have lost interest in that fight. I am now the IBO bantamweight champion and have focused on Fernando Montiel who is the WBC and WBO champion.”

Darchinyan continued, ” Fernando Montiel wants to be recognized as a great Mexican boxer but why won’t he fight me. Fernando’s brother, Alejandro Montiel, came to Australia in 2003 to fight me when I had only 17 fights. He had won 48 fights only losing 5 bouts. I kicked his ass in all of the ten rounds, winning every round on points. Why doesn’t his brother Fernando seek revenge for the whipping I gave Alejandro? I know I will do the same to Fernando Montiel if he has the guts to fight me.”

Darchinyan scored a one sided twelve round decision over Eric Barcelona (51-17-4) in May and his best wins came in WBC/IBF/WBA title bouts when he scored a knockout in nine rounds over Cristian Mijares in 2008 and stopping Jorge Arce in eleven rounds in 2009. Darchinyan is managed by Elias Nassar and promoted by Gary Shaw.
    Source: Fight news

I'm still unconvinced that Vic will be effective enough to take out the big guns at 118. What do you guys think?

i see that vic doesn't want revenge against his daddy

Comment

montiel is very talented, but this punk is as consistent at nate campbell. I thought he was losing to the japanese guy until he got caught. vic is the same way. so this fight can go either way. also, vic ducking donaire.

Comment

Montiel KOs him.

Comment

montiel roasts vic. montiels inside game is superb, his power is underrated. vic should chase someone who ha can actually beat.

Comment

Montiel got this. Surprised Vic is wanting to go back up after he struggled with Agbeko at bantam. Probably better for him to stay at 115. I'm more interested in Montiel fighting Donaire. I think Vic gets shut down and stopped if this fight happens, he's too crude.

Comment

Originally posted by MurderDeathKill View Post
              Montiel got this. Surprised Vic is wanting to go back up after he struggled with Agbeko at bantam. Probably better for him to stay at 115. I'm more interested in Montiel fighting Donaire. I think Vic gets shut down and stopped if this fight happens, he's too crude.
              I'm thinking along the same lines as you.

Against Barcelona he took unnecessary punches when he tried to both pressure and box more, as his corner asked.

In order to be effective, Vic needs to assert his assert physical strength and power to compensate for his technical problem IMO.ATM, I can't see him doing that against larger and technically superior fighters like Moreno, Montiel, Cermeno, etc. and fighters like Perez.

Comment

Working...
              X