No announcement yet.

Basic income for all the citizen...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    I'm not worried. Complete or 95%+ automation won't be around til 50-100 years probably. I'm just saying its coming & so is basic income or some yet undiscovered or unused means of living besides capitalism. If you or I are around when it comes doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things except to you & I. And if things get to a point where its impossible to near impossible to get a job in the US in my lifetime I'll just try to move to another country who has implemented a basic income already or who's got a more progressive system to this issue.
    The thing is that 'basic income' is not progressive. It's regressive. We are not one big human family and we will never be. Things will never be so wonderful where we all can just live forever off of virtually free goodies with nothing to do but scratching our balls and getting a tan out in the sun all day, every day.

This magical automation dystopia that ppl get from Terminator movies will never happen. Manufacturing things is a big part of an economy as long as it's needed but it's not the only thing. Unique small businesses and self employment will always exist. The only difference will be that we won't think of it as working for a living to the extent that we do now....as some arbitrary work week of 35 or 40 hours will not exist. However...The more ambitious of us will still work harder and they will have more. More stuff that is...as nobody will be starving. Even in a automated utopia...someone will do more and have more. A bigger house, a bigger car, a bigger property, a bigger swimming pool etc,.

Comment

T The robots are coming brother lol.
      It's not gonna come from Bernie voters who major in liberal arts, philosophy and dance therapy...that's for sure.

Things get created because of the profit motive, and if these ppl don't want profits and just want to live a comfortable life with guaranteed basic necessities...then stuff won't get created.

But if they embraced Capitalism first and let us reach that paradise where menial and repetitive work is automated...then maybe that philosophy and dance therapy degree would start having some value, once resources are freed up to do other things.

Comment

Originally posted by 0ne_Capitalist View Post
        The thing is that 'basic income' is not progressive. It's regressive. We are not one big human family and we will never be.
        I'm not saying everyone is gonna hold hands with each other. I'm just saying at some point, with the direction things are going, there will need to be consumers with money to spend on consuming or it all comes crashing down, slow or quick. That doesn't require everyone to get along. But in a way we are already one big happy family of sellers & buyers regardless if people realize it or wanna believe it.

Comment

It's not gonna come from Bernie voters who major in liberal arts, philosophy and dance therapy...that's for sure.
          LOL nah. Like I said its not coming anytime soon. Its on a slow burn. And I promise you when it does come all these chickenhawk pro-war, pro-business guys will be on top of it even more than the Sanders-type cuz if they aren't on it a ton of businesses, likely their own &/or their investments &/or the people paying to get them elected, are gonna fail.

People always think a basic income is about keeping lazy mofos lazy, but its really gonna be about keeping the wheels of capitalism churning along. The 1% is getting all the money. They are smart with their money. You need that 99% to go out & lit there money on fire.

Comment

I'm not saying everyone is gonna hold hands with each other. I'm just saying at some point, with the direction things are going, there will need to be consumers with money to spend on consuming or it all comes crashing down, slow or quick.
            Why would the govt give us play money to buy things with? Why not just go straight to the source and give ppl the free stuff without the medium of exchange.

Under your premise...money has no real value. It's understood that everything is free, so why bother with the pretense of money?

Or are you saying that since everything will be free, ppl need to be kept in check by rationing out this free stuff with a govt provided fixed income. Therefore some guy can't just get more stuff then he actually needs...i.e. 4 different cars instead of just one.

Again...there is one big flaw in your logic. Who owns all the automation? And how do they benefit if nobody can afford to "buy" their products because the govt isn't giving ppl free money? It's nonsense. Your solutions are not required. You are putting the economic cart before the horse.

The economic laws of gravity will take care of it all. Things would get much, much cheaper and ppl would find ways to make a little money to live off of it. The govt wouldn't need to step in and give everyone a free ride with printed paper, play money. It's utter nonsense.

And the more ambitious ppl would still make a lot more money and they would enjoy a higher standard of living...as it's always been.
            Last edited by One_Tycoon; 06-06-2016, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
              Sweet. I love getting money and not having to work for it. I'll be getting up at about 12 cooking a bacon egg and cheese sandwich,going to the liquor store and buy whiskey,get hammered and blackout,wake up and repeat.
              LOL, but I'm sure there will be plenty of unhealthy **** going on. Hell there is plenty of unhealthy **** going on now its just seen as fine since you are spending your own money taking bad care of yourself. But I'm sure as long as you keep the wheels of capitalism moving you will be good. I imagine you could get in trouble if you save too much money or **** like that. But generally people suck at money stuff so if you don't spend yours they'd probably just give you less & give some other guy more since he'd actually be spending it.

Comment

Originally posted by krazyn8tive View Post
                We already live in a society where the model of return is yielded by hard work/working hard yada yada...yet we have people who want fast, easy money or free money. America is fat, lazy, and addicted.
                I just thought what will be the incentive for working if people will get paid when not working anyway.
                The it will be even harder to keep up with the Joneses

Comment

Why would the govt give us play money to buy things with? Why not just go straight to the source and give ppl the free stuff without the medium of exchange.

Under your premise...money has no real value. It's understood that everything is free, so why bother with the pretense of money?

Or are you saying that since everything will be free, ppl need to be kept in check by rationing out this free stuff with a govt provided fixed income. Therefore some guy can't just get more stuff then he actually needs...i.e. 4 different cars instead of just one.

Again...there is one big flaw in your logic. Who owns all the automation? And how do they benefit if nobody can afford to "buy" their products because the govt isn't giving ppl free money? It's nonsense. Your solutions are not required. You are putting the economic cart before the horse.

The economic laws of gravity will take care of it all. Things would get much, much cheaper and ppl would find ways to make a little money to live off of it. The govt wouldn't need to step in and give everyone a free ride with printed paper, play money. It's utter nonsense.

And the more ambitious ppl would still make a lot more money and they would enjoy a higher standard of living...as it's always been.
                  You are confused about why this is needed. Its not to give lazy mfers free ****. Its about keeping capitalism moving.

Right now there are 99% of the dumdums in the world spending their money like its burning a whole thru there pocket on shiny things. Those people need jobs to keep doing that. When the robot army comes that is less expensive & less problematic with working 24/7/365, basically a slave army of workers, there will become less & less need for regular people. Sure some people will be watching the robots & fixing robots & there will be people doing other jobs that robots aren't deemed worthy of doing "right now" for one reason or another. And sure there will be people who start podcasts or do twitch **** or other yet unseen or unknown means for making a living that doesn't get overtaken or overtaken as quickly by this slave army of robot workers. There is still going to be massive unemployment for unskilled or under skilled workers. You'll probably need a masters degree to get work it'll be so competitive for the small % of "human" jobs.

And all that means is there will be far less money getting into that 99% of people to spend on all these robot ran businesses. And if thats the case then most if not many of these businesses will fail as less people with money = less profit & for some companies no profit & even losses. So the government can either sit around & watch all that or they can do something. And throwing some money at people who are just gonna gift it back to the companies is what I suspect will happen. Maybe we get enlightened in some way before than. Maybe there is some other way things work out. But I think basic income will be something that more countries start putting into use & the US eventually will as well. Most of us in the US probably won't even see this til we got grey ball hairs, but I see it as the end game for capitalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Amazinger View Post
                    I just thought what will be the incentive for working if people will get paid when not working anyway.
                    The it will be even harder to keep up with the Joneses
                    The problem isn't gonna be motivating people for their basic income. The problem is math. If you can make 100M robots that are more productive & less costly than human workers why would you ever hire human workers? And everyone ain't cut out to make it on their own if not given some unskilled task for 8hrs a day. And businesses ain't cut out to make it if there isn't some critical mass of people spending money on their product. And governments don't like it when their countries economy crashes cuz 75% of people are broke or just have no income to spend on luxury items or wants vs needs.

Comment

Can everyone be guaranteed vodka, lemon & lime instead. Waaaay more fun (even in a wheelbarrow).

Comment

Working...
                      X