Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wasted Talent, Unfulfilled Potential and Ability Used To The Utmost.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasted Talent, Unfulfilled Potential and Ability Used To The Utmost.

Okay, so this thread is for you to list which fighters you think fall into these three categories:

Wasted Talent:

When a fighter seemingly has all the potential/talent in the world, but due to faults/poor decisions/dumb*ss moves, they waste said talent and don't reach the heights that their physical blessings/talents warranted. In my mind, I have Adrien Broner in mind when thinking about this particular category. Can blame nobody but himself for his failures and short comings.

Unfulfilled Potential:

When a fighter has limitless potential, but due to external factors has been unable to reach said potential. So if they have a bad promoter, possibly ****ty trainer etc, something other than themselves has held them back from having a career that their potential warrants. Thing about this category is that these fighters can proactively do something to change the situation and still reach their full potential and become elite. I've got images of George Groves, Mikey Garcia, Amir Khan (likely a biased choice because he honestly belongs in the first category, but those hands man.) and possibly Anthony Joshua in mind.

Ability Used To The Utmost:

This is for limited fighters, who've used absolutely every single ounce of their ability, coupled it with relentless work ethic and discipline to carve out a highly successful and respectable career. Guys who respected and dedicated themselves to the sport, and despite not being the most exciting/explosive/entertaining, still had superb careers.

Let me know who your picks are.
    Last edited by P.K Dionysus; 04-28-2016, 02:36 AM.

Wasted Talent: Joan Guzman, I remember seeing some of his earlier fights and thinking he would be the next big star in boxing. So talented but he simply didn't have the discipline.

Unfulfilled Potential:
    Muhammad Ali the GOAT! but we never saw his prime simply because of his exile. Just goes to show how truly incredible the guy was.

Ability Used To The Utmost:Hopkins, how many times was he the underdog and expected to lose? Roy Jones was far more gifted but due to Hopkins focus and discipline he achieved more and is the greater legend. Fighting top level guys when he's in his 50's is a testament of Hopkins ability to use the utmost of his boxing ability.

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
      Wasted Talent: Joan Guzman, I remember seeing some of his earlier fights and thinking he would be the next big star in boxing. So talented but he simply didn't have the discipline.

Unfulfilled Potential:
      Muhammad Ali the GOAT! but we never saw his prime simply because of his exile. Just goes to show how truly incredible the guy was.

Ability Used To The Utmost:Hopkins, how many times was he the underdog and expected to lose? Roy Jones was far more gifted but due to Hopkins focus and discipline he achieved more and is the greater legend. Fighting top level guys when he's in his 50's is a testament of Hopkins ability to use the utmost of his boxing ability.
      Roy Jones has wins over Toney and Hopkins but also won the WBA HW belt.
      (yall musta fogot)

So achieved more I don't know.

Comment

Wasted Talent:

Vassily Jirov, Ike Ibeabuchi,

Oliver McCall: he really had the talent to crack Lewis the way he did, dude was sharp as hell, skilled and tough but had too much of mental state problems.

Mike Tyson post Rooney.

Unfulfilled Potential:

Edwin Valero, Dmitry Pirog, Guzman, GGG fighting cab drivers while approaching 35

Ability Used To The Utmost:

Malignaggi is the first coming to mind, dude is built like a girl and punches like some amateur kid but has been able to be a champion in two solid divisions (fighting 2 paper champ though).

I don't like him, but you gotta respect that, his chin, hability to fight smart and strong will brought him to the top.

And he never ducked anybody, wasn't afraid to take a beating.

Carl Forch obviously.

Comment

Unfulfilled Potential:

agree....except that on the wasted talent i have boom boom bautista...

Comment

Speaking of which, any updates on Ike Ibeabuchi? I know he was arrested the day before the Pacquaio fight and was to have a hearing on 4/14. His parole violation seemed minor, though with his record ...

Comment

Unfulfilled Potential:

very good choices, incredible what hopkins has been able to achieve, i'd add heavyweight solis to wasted talent

Comment

I can't think of a better example of a fighter who even surpassed his ability more then Carl Froch. He is the poster boy for overachieving.

Comment

Wasted Talent:
                  Prince Naz.. As great and fun to watch as he was. He could've done so much more in the sport. I think he said he didn't enjoy training or even going through strategies anymore. Basically relying on his skills, speed, power and instincts only. That doomed him against MAB and he never recovered from that. I'm not saying, he could've beaten Marco if he had fully dedicated himself, but his career wouldn't have been over as quickly as it was after if he stayed serious about his career. Truly one of my favorite fighters of all time. It pains me knowing he could've been much much greater.

Unfulfilled Potential:
                  Salvador Sanchez. Enough said.

Ability to use the utmost:
                  Greg Haugen, John Ruiz, Paulie M., Glen Johnson. I know there's more. Those stood out to me

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
                    I can't think of a better example of a fighter who even surpassed his ability more then Carl Froch. He is the poster boy for overachieving.
                    I can: Cory Spinks.

Had no real power, a shaky chin, was prone to gassing out. Yet managed to beat some really good fighters, held the WW (unified WBA, WBC, IBF, and Ring) and JMW titles, and arguably should have been the MW champ (Jermain Taylor fight).

Shout out to the homeboy for repping that last name.

Comment

Working...
                    X