Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Freddie Roach the most overrated trainer of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Easy Work. View Post
    Name 5 welterweights that could beat maidana
    Floyd, Thurman, Manny, Khan (did) Rios, Bradley, Kell Brook. Would they all win? I don't know, they all could.

Comment

roach is over rated,
      Garcia is under rated

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
        Honestly the joke coach gets too much credit,
        He has been lucky he got to train some great fighters like Pacquiao, Khan and JCC jr (in recent years.)

No doubt Freddie is great at preparing his guys for fights but in terms of being a good strategist where do you think he stands?

It seems like on fight night if things don't go his way their is no plan B. Most recently against TBE, they had absolutely no plan B and Manny looked frustrated.

What your thoughts?
        Freddie Roach has never, to the best of my knowledge, taken a novice fighter and molded him into something; near every fighter that Roach gets the acclaim for training, came to his as a finished on near-finished product, sans maybe Pacquiao (who had still already been a world champion before getting to Roach).

How he rates all time is not for me to say, but looking at all of the truly top trainers that came before him, every one of those guys can point to fighters and champions that they brought up the whole way, in addition to the finished products that they were able to help.

Not sure if you can say that about Roach

Comment

blacks will call him overrated
          whites will call him a great trainer
          thats how this forums rolls, 90% race

I say hes a good trainer, not the best. I think Garcia is the best trainer at the moment.

Comment

Roach only teaches offense, he doesnt teach defense at all, and his fighters get their asses kicked. If it wasnt for manny he would have never gotten a trainer of the year so many times.

Garcia is better

Comment

Originally posted by Easy Work. View Post
              Hes overrated, not that hes a bad trainer but guys like Robert Garcia and Virgil Hunter deserve trainer of the year.
              ^^^ this

Robert Garcia and Virgil Hunter have both shown that they can build up fighters from the jump (Mikey and Ward being the most present examples), but they've also shown that they can do really good jobs with finished and near-finished products (Just looking at what Garcia was able to refine Marcos Maidana into being, while also looking at what Hunter was able to do with Angulo and Khan)

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
                Manny lost to Mayweather too... What's the difference with Manny and Maidana? And L O L at you thinking Maidana beats every other WW including Manny lmao. One armed Manny would KO Maidana. Floyd struggles with a C class fighter and you think he's good, sad.
                Robert Garcia had a gameplan, which Maidana executed, that gave Maidana a real chance to win the fight and maximized the things that Maidana was effective with.

Come the bell, after talking all that mess, Freddie Roach had no such gameplan for Pacquiao, leaving Pacquiao with having to put forward a **** performance and all of this excuse swapping to try and save face.

Comment

Besides training Pacquiao for all those great wins, people forget he also trained Virgil Hill and Mike McCallum.

Comment

Hell no he ain't overrated..

He is one of the best trainers of his generation..

The guy pulls the most out of ever disinterested older guys or guys with no work ethic and gets them to the top level..

At one time roach had tyson, toney, tapia, manny all at the same time.. Got good results out of all of them.. But dealing with those 4 personalities in training and trying to keep them focused is a grueling task..

I think he did great with chavez and has totally reborn cotto in an offensive predator like his early pre-margs days..

How many fighters has floyd sr taken to the top besides his son... The dude has never been successful with any other fighters unlike roach

I would rate nacho beristain as the best trainer of this generation but roach is very close to the top and deserves the accolades he recieves

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                      Robert Garcia had a gameplan, which Maidana executed, that gave Maidana a real chance to win the fight and maximized the things that Maidana was effective with.

Come the bell, after talking all that mess, Freddie Roach had no such gameplan for Pacquiao, leaving Pacquiao with having to put forward a **** performance and all of this excuse swapping to try and save face.
                      You can only lead a horse to water, Freddie can't make Manny not be scared of getting knock the **** out again. Trainers aren't responsible for a fighter being incapable of pulling the trigger or getting scared. That was the issue with Manny, it had nothing to do with a gameplan. What use is a gameplan if after you get hit with a flush right hand, you think "I can't get KO'd again" instead of actually doing what you're supposed to do.

We don't even know what the gameplan was because Manny didn't do anything... maybe that was the gameplan, who knows. But just because Manny lost to Floyd doesn't mean Roach is overrated. Ali lost to Frazier in pretty much in ass whooping, Angelo Dundee is overrated by that logic.

Comment

Working...
                      X