No announcement yet.

Punching while moving foward

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punching while moving foward

I'v learned to left jab with the (orthodox stance) left foot but i find it much easier and natural to jab with the right feet then continuing the righthand with my left feet, so left jab with right feet coming forward and right hand with left feet forward. Is this wrong?

It dont feel ackward to left jab with left feet comin forward but it does when trying to go forward after the jab with the right hand and right feet.

Originally posted by GhostFighter View Post
    I'v learned to left jab with the (orthodox stance) left foot but i find it much easier and natural to jab with the right feet then continuing the righthand with my left feet, so left jab with right feet coming forward and right hand with left feet forward. Is this wrong?

It dont feel ackward to left jab with left feet comin forward but it does when trying to go forward after the jab with the right hand and right feet.
    im going to venture a guess and say you should be stepping with your left when you jab though you dont really have to. if you do it will add some power to the jab.

when you throw a right you dont really have to step just make sure your right heel comes up. you dont really have to take your foot all the way off the ground and move your foot forward but you do need to raise the heel up with the punch, heel moves first punch follows.

but i dont know what im talking about.
    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 11-04-2009, 04:37 AM.

Comment

you have your feet confused,you must feel comfortable with your feet/jab combo,try left right,or right left and see if there is a significant improvement in your sequence

Comment

Originally posted by GhostFighter View Post

Very wrong. If you're fighting in an orthodox stance you don't want your right foot coming forward with a jab and vice versa (left forward with right hand). Moving forward with a left handed jab, your left foot/leg is going to be moving forward since you will we pushing off of your right leg for power. There are a lot of things you will find to be easier when you first start boxing but that doesn't make them right. The right way of doing things in boxing usually doesn't feel very natural. You need to re-train your muscle memory completely for most movements in boxing. Also when you throw your right cross, the action needs to be happening with that right leg. Right now focus on basic one two. Throw a left jab and don't even move forward, throw that stiff jab out then throw the right cross, twisting your right leg and press down as if you are putting out a cigarette. Once you learn your basic one two you can worry about moving forward with the jab and putting more power behind that right by shifting your weight forward from that right leg. Right now with that right, just press the ball of your right foot into the ground as if you're smushing a bug. Bend your knees and stay balanced, but have more of your weight shifted onto that right leg as you twist. Don't purposely raise you right heel when you twist either; it's going to come up some but it really shouldn't be too much at all. Remember it's boxing not ballet. Practice this over and over. It will eventually become natural and you will feel a difference.

Comment

Working...
        X