No announcement yet.

The Debate Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Debate Thread

Alright, seeing as how NSB is constantly flooded with the same repetitive crap day in and day out, I thought of a thread were we will strictly talk about one specific topic at a time. We will discuss a topic for 24 hours and post our votes whether we are for or against the topic at hand.

After the 24 hours are up I will tally all the votes and post the winner on the first page, then we move on to a new topic. If a tie happens to occur I will cast my own vote to break the tie and move on. I will continue to edit this post in order to announce the winning side as well as the new topics to come.

You may post as many times as you want but remember, only post your answer once, that way I could easily tally up the votes at the end of the session. Let's begin, have fun and please try not to flame each other.

EDIT WILL BE DISPLAYED BY BOLDED LETTERS

First Topic: Are catch weights acceptable in TITLE fights?

Yes, they are - explain why.

No, they are not - explain why not.
    Last edited by Aztekkas; 12-23-2014, 05:56 AM.

A debate thread?

That's the point of a forum- debating

You don't need to title a thread "debate thread"

Lol

Comment

What drug are you taking right now?

Comment

Well originally catchweights were made to help even the playing field between 2 boxers of different weight classes, but now I think personally there's maybe a few too many divisions and some people are taking advantage of the whole CW scenario to gain upper hand. . .

As Jas said, this is a forum, debates are the main objective of such a site.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
          What drug are you taking right now?
          If you don't want to participate then don't, simple. The difference between this thread and the forum is the fact that at times the front page is flooded with nothing but Floyd and Manny topics, thus burying any threads that have nothing to do with those 2 fighters.

We can openly vote and discuss topics without flaming and cast a vote in. If it works it works, if it doesn't then so be it.

Comment

Catchweights been around for decades

Old skool guys had them

I think they shouldn't be allowed for title fights. Its bringing the sport into disrepute .
            Im a manny fan but I don't consider him a 154 champ

Comment

I can appreciate what you're trying to do here ..... So, I'll bite.

Catch-weights should only be allowed in NON-TITLED fights. There is a reason for the weight-classes and it shouldn't be circumvented for the purpose of compromising an opponent. Which brings me to a much larger issue\problem.

The issue of same-day weigh-ins.

Even more egregious than stipulating a weight that would compromise opponents, is the farce of making weight 24-hours before a fight and then ballooning up twenty pounds to fight at a weight class well above the contractually agreed weight.

Boxing is in desperate need of regulation .... As much as I love boxing, it is an unregulated, corrupt sport managed by baboons.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
                Catchweights been around for decades

Old skool guys had them

I think they shouldn't be allowed for title fights. Its bringing the sport into disrepute .
                Im a manny fan but I don't consider him a 154 champ
                Thanks for the contribution, a NO from you.

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
                I can appreciate what you're trying to do here ..... So, I'll bite.

Catch-weights should only be allowed in NON-TITLED fights. There is a reason for the weight-classes and it shouldn't be circumvented for the purpose of compromising an opponent. Which brings me to a much larger issue\problem.

The issue of same-day weigh-ins.

Even more egregious than stipulating a weight that would compromise opponents, is the farce of making weight 24-hours before a fight and then ballooning up twenty pounds to fight at a weight class well above the contractually agreed weight.

Boxing is in desperate need of regulation .... As much as I love boxing, it is an unregulated, corrupt sport managed by baboons.
                Thanks for posting your thoughts. Another "No" Excellent points.

Comment

To me a catchweight fight is never acceptable if a world title is on the line. I think all world title fights should be fought at the traditional weight limit for what ever title is on the line. For instance if the Canelo-Cotto fight happens and Cotto's middleweight title is on the line the official weight limit should be 160. If the two fighters make a private agreement to weigh no more than 155 at the weigh in that's fine with me. If no world title is at stake then any type of catchweight both fighters agree to is fine with me.

Comment

Catch weights are not a problem if both fighters agree to the catch weight because they're in different divisions, but want to make the fight. Hopkins vs Pavlik meeting at 170 for example.

When I have a problem with it, is when fighters use it to get an unfair advantage or just to be dicks. Canelo is one of my favorite fighters but making the 155 catchweight fights was BS. Cotto making Martinez fight at 159 for the MW title was BS. Mayweather complaining about Pacquiao making catchweights only to turn around and make Canelo fight him at 152 was BS. There are probably other examples of BS catchweights.

Comment

Working...
                    X