Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Geale gets a shot at Cotto's lineal title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
    It's not so much that he got a shot, more so that Cotto has a voluntary and he's choosing a middleweight he believes he can beat. His middleweight title is important to him because it's leverage when potentially negotiating with Canelo or Floyd. That's why he doesn't simply drop it and go back down to 154 - he owns what many people want, and because of that Cotto has an upper hand when it comes to the negotiating table.

The whole Cotto vs Canelo/Floyd will be quite interesting because GGG is mandatory. Will he accept step aside money? Will he enforce his mandatory position and if so, will the WBC stick to their word and force/strip Cotto if he refuses? Will Cotto lose his leverage without the WBC belt or will his Ring (lineal) title be just the same?
    ^^^Precisely. Cotto just won the lineal middleweight title from Martinez...and very easily might I add. How much of it was Sergio and how much of it was Freddie Roach work remains to be seen. This is Cotto's way of finding out how much of that was actually him and by fighting Daniel Geale he'll have a better idea of how he can deal with natural 160 pounder. People cannot seriously expect him to actually call out GGG immediately after just ONE fight at middleweight. He has to test the waters better. I'm sure in the back of his mind he doesn't REALLY think that was a 100% Martinez. I'm not saying that Martinez would've won, but that's something that probably crosses his mind from time to time. Beating Geale will allow him to accurately assess how potent his punches are (and if he can take them) against a true middleweight, and a very decent one at that. He was blown out by GGG, but really...can you blame him? Who hasn't?

June will, hopefully, tell us a lot about at Cotto at middleweight, and likely have us salivating at the thought of Canelo, GGG, and Cotto fighting each other...ANY combination between the three.

Comment

Because cowards do cowardly things.....

Comment

Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
        ^^^Precisely. Cotto just won the lineal middleweight title from Martinez...and very easily might I add. How much of it was Sergio and how much of it was Freddie Roach work remains to be seen. This is Cotto's way of finding out how much of that was actually him and by fighting Daniel Geale he'll have a better idea of how he can deal with natural 160 pounder. People cannot seriously expect him to actually call out GGG immediately after just ONE fight at middleweight. He has to test the waters better. I'm sure in the back of his mind he doesn't REALLY think that was a 100% Martinez. I'm not saying that Martinez would've won, but that's something that probably crosses his mind from time to time. Beating Geale will allow him to accurately assess how potent his punches are (and if he can take them) against a true middleweight, and a very decent one at that. He was blown out by GGG, but really...can you blame him? Who hasn't?

June will, hopefully, tell us a lot about at Cotto at middleweight, and likely have us salivating at the thought of Canelo, GGG, and Cotto fighting each other...ANY combination between the three.
        Word

Green this dude up

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
          It's not so much that he got a shot, more so that Cotto has a voluntary and he's choosing a middleweight he believes he can beat. His middleweight title is important to him because it's leverage when potentially negotiating with Canelo or Floyd. That's why he doesn't simply drop it and go back down to 154 - he owns what many people want, and because of that Cotto has an upper hand when it comes to the negotiating table.

The whole Cotto vs Canelo/Floyd will be quite interesting because GGG is mandatory. Will he accept step aside money? Will he enforce his mandatory position and if so, will the WBC stick to their word and force/strip Cotto if he refuses? Will Cotto lose his leverage without the WBC belt or will his Ring (lineal) title be just the same?
          I suspect Floyd faces Cotto if he gets past Geale, which by no means a forgone conclusion. Great post though.

The WBC will create another ridiculous belt if GGG elects not to allow Cotto a step aside fight, it's that simple. Floyd wants the middleweight lineage, Cotto didn't drop out of the Canelo talks before the Manny vs Money fight was rubber stamped for nothing. Floyd simply bowed to CBS pressure to face Manny in May as opposed to later this year, I'm sure Canelo making his intentions clear on wanting the Cinco date too played a factor in Floyd facing Manny.

Their really isnt more to it, unfortunately GGG brings nothing to the table. He should move up to super middle at the earliest opputunity to test himself against the likes of Badou Jack, Andre Dirrell and ultimately Andre Ward as it appears Carl Froch wants no part either.

Comment

Working...
          X