No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cotto Saw Golovkin's WBC Spot as Financially Motivated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
    Golovkin still had to step aside. He can't be upgraded to full champion because the champion already had a legally binding contract AS the champion. Canelo can't suddenly not fight for the wbc title. Canelo does have to fight GGG if he is to win as far as I know. It doesn't change the fact that Cotto, to make this fight had to pay the step aside money. You'd only be correct if Cotto had dropped/been stripped before the fight was signed/made. Fact of the matter is that GGG stepped aside for Cotto. The wbc just allowed it. It's basically like Cotto saying "Hey bro i dont want to fight you next." ggg goes "Pay me then" and The wbc goes "If GGG is cool with it then pay the man we will allow it"

The step aside is strictly for Cotto. The wbc isnt stepping aside. Cotto losing the title now has nothing to do with what happened then. Cotto would have been stripped going into a GGG fight and NOT Canelo had there been no step aside fee paid
    I have to agree, Cotto agreed to give GGG step aside money and triple G did.
    It has nothing to do with the WBC. This was an agreement between Cotto and GGG, Cotto vs Canelo would not be happening right now.

Comment

Originally posted by PRBOXINGCOTTO View Post
      why would cotto vacate a belt he earned the wbc stripped Garcia because he was a unified champ they forced Floyd to drop the other belts he had ggg shouldn't be able to fight for the wbc belt when he has other belts that's the rule the wbc just got exposed on how corrupt they are again
      Post 46

Not unprecedented (ranked Kovalev in an attempt to make Kovalev-Stevenson).

Part of an explicitly articulated goal of WBC (under new leadership w/ Mauricio Sulaiman) to deliver big unification fights (the result of which will yield a 3-belt or 4-belt/undisputed world champions.

Comment

This is really complicated. I am not sure if Cotto needs to compensate anything. Had GGG suffered financially for not being upgraded to full WBC title 2 months ago? Not sure in what way and for how much.
        The fact that Cotto used his title to get better deal from Canelo has nothing to do with GGG, because Canelo was/is not going to fight GGG anytime soon belt or not. Canelo still fights for WBC belt, so he was not affected by Cotto action also.

Comment

lol @ cotto's "its not fair that the WBC wanted me to fight the best guy in the division"

well gee if you fought GGG instead of geale then nobody would be asking for 1.1 million now. WBC gave him a voluntary then after that its GGG, cotto agreed to that. If he had a damn spine then face GGG first, let the canelo fight "marinate" and then canelo next year. Hes only crying because he knews GGG KTFO of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho Puncho View Post
            This is really complicated. I am not sure if Cotto needs to compensate anything. Had GGG suffered financially for not being upgraded to full WBC title 2 months ago? Not sure in what way and for how much.
            The fact that Cotto used his title to get better deal from Canelo has nothing to do with GGG, because Canelo was/is not going to fight GGG anytime soon belt or not. Canelo still fights for WBC belt, so he was not affected by Cotto action also.
            Think about what you just said. Cotto used the title, that he would NOT have had without for the step aside deal he made with GGG, to get a better deal from Canelo.

But he doesnt owe anything to GGG?

lol smh

Comment

Cotto probably shouldn't talk, sounds like he's shooting himself in the foot here. He admits they agreed that to the step aside money so he can fight Canelo, because Golovkin was mandatory you dummy, and then says he's giving up the belt so he can avoid paying. Well it shouldn't matter if you give up the belt now AFTER you already agreed to the step aside. All of this would have been avoided a long time ago if Cotto would have dropped the belt after Geale, or even before Geale, and no step aside would be necessary, but of course Cotto WANTED the belt so he could have leverage against Canelo to get a bigger purse since he's champion. If you want to keep the belt their are obligations to that belt and sanctioning body, it's that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                Think about what you just said. Cotto used the title, that he would NOT have had without for the step aside deal he made with GGG, to get a better deal from Canelo.

But he doesnt owe anything to GGG?

lol smh
                GGG team chose not to enforce their option at the title. Later WBC "derecognized" Cotto before the fight, but not automatically upgraded GGG. By this logic GGG team can sue WBC, but they will not as they have future business to be done together.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
                  I don't see how the step aside can be enforced against him. He was stripped. He didn't let the title go. The organization stripped him and now he has jo title to step aside for. I highly doubt Golovkin is getting thst money from Cotto.
                  And why was he stripped? Oh yes!..Because he didn't want to pay the sanctioning fee.

There was a reason they stripped him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho Puncho View Post
                    GGG team chose not to enforce their option at the title. Later WBC "derecognized" Cotto before the fight, but not automatically upgraded GGG. By this logic GGG team can sue WBC, but they will not as they have future business to be done together.
                    If he enforced the option Cotto would have just dropped the belt. Ggg then would have missed out on a fight with Cotto and wouldn't get paid in the future, by Cotto, for not fighting him. Why would you enforce something that has no financial benefit for you? He was basically emasculating Cotto and getting paid for it.

Comment

@WBCBoxing
                      russKidFlash The fact is misleading. 300k sancioning fees/step aside is not our business, could've been avoided fighting mandatory.

Could've been avoided if they hadn't made Golovin the mado, breaking their own rules.

Comment

Working...
                      X