Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the greatest defensive fighter of all-time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
    .......am I crazy for thinking Sweet pea is winning this because a lot of people haven't seen any Willie Pep videos?

The question was who was the Greatest defensive fighter of all time

which is clearly Willie Pep
    i would say the amount of posters on this board that has seen more than a highlight of pep on youtube is around 5%. If not less.

Comment

as much as i hate to say it - none of the above. . . floyd jr. is probably the best defensive fighter of all time. . . "era for era" it's probably pep since he basically had to figure out everything on his own without 100 years of pugilistic evolution as precedent. . . but the sport has just evolved so much, and floyd had the advantage of being GROOMED from the day he came out the womb to be a defensive wizard. . . i can count on one hand the amount of times floyd has been hit cleanly with a power punch. . .

Comment

I would say in terms of solely defense I would say Pernell Whitaker.

But Floyd Mayweather is clearly up there with him, Pep and Locche IMO.

Comment

Whitaker, probably. On a personal note I'd like to at least mention Herol Graham. Maybe he takes the title of best British defensive maestro.

If we're talking about all-time all-time, shouldn't there be a few more than three people in the poll? How about Charley Burley, Young Griffo, Miguel Canto et al?

Comment

love how people who have no clue who will o the wisp is are voting for whitaker

ot you couldnt hit that man in the ass with a handful of rice, pep hands down

Comment

I feel like Bernard Hopkins is one of the greatest defensive fighters. It's the reason hes still able to box as well as he does at age 46.

Comment

The great Sam Langford had a very good defence along with tremendous skill and power. Jack Johnson refused him a title shot and Sam was middle weight!

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  What's more impressive? Someone like Floyd who just buttons up and doesn't throw many punches? Or someone like Whitaker or Pep who'd make you miss while still throwing at a high volume? I know the answer. Do you?

Poet
                  benetiz could do simmilar things I believe

Comment

Mayweather is prob the best defensive fighter ever. The fact that he's not on the poll is ludicrous. Not only does he have reflexes, he has technique and skill. He can bob and weave and block. I have never seen anyone and that includes Pernell who can just stand in front of his opponent, not duck or weave and litterally block every single punch his opponent throws. Mayweather is so good defensively its scary.

There is a reason ppl on this board and the boxing fans around the world go absolutely crazy when Mayweather gets hit clean, its because it RARELY happens.

Comment

Originally posted by i_am_a_champ View Post
                      benetiz could do simmilar things I believe
                      Yes he could. And he was the finest counterpuncher I ever saw.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X