Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has the BETTER RESUME? Floyd Jr. or Oscar De La Hoya?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar could have cherrypicked his way to being undefeated like Floyd. He could have squirmed his way out of fighting Trinidad and Mosley like FLoyd is doing with Pac, and never gone to middleweight and then retired when Pac and LFoyd came on the scene.

You have to get some credit for taking on big challenges and you have to lose some when you dont take the toughest opponents around.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
      Yes but, Cliff was impressed with Floyd dominant win over Mosley. Hence why he had Floyd 1a and Pac 1b after that performance.

If you look at that was before the Floyd-Mosley fight.

And, he's comparing Floyd resume to Pac resume.

Which I agree, Pac resume>Floyd. But, Oscar resume over Floyd? No, and I doubt Cliff would say the same thing. Since he really doesn't think Oscar is an ATG, he doesn't even think Oscar can make a top 100 ATG list.

A boxer resume is wins against competition faced. You don't get extra credit for getting KO'd or winning 3 rounds because they were top fighters.
      Rold is impressed by Floyd's win over Mosley not because Mosley was a threat going in to the fight but because Floyd was able to weather a very dangerous storm during the fight and come back to win in impressive fashion. I was impressed by Floyd's win over Shane for the same reason, Floyd actually showed me a lot in that fight (a great chin for example). But Shane was considered to be easy fare for Floyd going into the fight and in the end that's what he turned out to be after the first 2 rounds.

I know he's comparing Floyd's resume to Pacquiao's in the link I posted. The point was to illustrate that not Rold nor any other writer or boxing historian in that link felt Floyd had a good resume, not just when compared to Pacquiao but in general. All of them felt his resume was weak or lacking and the reason was because he hadn't faced quality opposition. Quality opposition defeated equals a great resume. Did De La Hoya defeat all of the abundant quality names on his resume? No, but he did defeat some of them. Does Mayweather have an abundance of quality names on his resume? NO, but he is unbeaten which means he's defeated the few he has faced. I'd say De La Hoya has a slight edge in quality of opponents beaten over Mayweather. At worst it'd be even. But then you factor in the quality of opponents De La Hoya was willing to fight when compared to Mayweather and it's a wrap, Oscar comes out on top. Oscar fought to be the best, fought for his legacy. He made a lot of money and became a cash cow because he was willing to fight the best. Mayweather is fighting strictly for money and will never make as much as Oscar because he doesn't choose to fight the best and stay active. The better the quality of opposition the more $$$ you'll make. Oscar realized this. Mayweather has not and thinks he can make big $$$ by fighting whoever he wants. Which one had the IRS garnishing his fight purse to satisfy tax debts? Which one owns his own promotional company and has a stable of boxers under his banner? De La Hoya was compensated handsomely for all the big fights he had... Mayweather wishes he had De La Hoya $$$ and still wonders why he can't get big money endorsements like Oscar had.

Comment

• if ur basing it off names, oscar .......if ur basing it on wins, floyd

Comment

• Originally posted by Wukillabeez78 View Post
          The perception going into the Mayweather/Mosley fight was that Mayweather was going to outbox him easily (which he did). You can't list Mosley as a challenging fight for Mayweather going into the fight. It ended up being a bit challenging during the fight because Mosley was able to land a few punches no one thought he'd be able to. Mosley was a challenging fight when he fought De La Hoya the first time because he was 35-0 with most of his wins by KO. The perception going into this fight was that it was a pretty even fight and the winner would be the best P4P fighter in the world (which is what Mosley was considered after beating De La Hoya).

Only two of his opponents were ever given a real chance by boxing critics to be a threat to Mayweather. They were Castillo II (because of how well he'd fought him the first time) and Corrales (Diego was 33-0 with good boxing skills and great KO power). No one else Mayweather has ever fought was considered a real threat going into the fight. He fought other good fighters who were capable of beating him if they had a great night (like Judah for instance) but he has never taken a fight where he was the betting underdog or was at a disavantage (going up in weight to fight a lineal champion). De La Hoya has fought ATG, HOF and other good fighters. This is an undeniable truth. Floyd has not done the same despite fighters being available who'd improve the quality of his resume. Floyd never fought the caliber of competition De La Hoya did when he was younger and certainly isn't doing it now that he's older.

The Fernando Vargas De La Hoya defeated was a beast who hated him and who was on steroids. Look at what he looked like, his body was spectacular http://www.flickr.com/photos/98773589@N00/3027713
          And Floyd is scared to fight somebody because he "thinks" they're using steroids? Mayweather better grow some balls and knock out Pacquiao steroids or not, LOL...
          no, the perception was that floyd was scared to fight mosley and would get ko

Comment

• I think many people are confusing RESUME with legacy.

I'm still cut about DLH "beating" Whitaker on points. And Floyd I can honestly say that I didn't follow hos early career so I won't vote or comment. But yes RESUME not LEGACY.

Comment

• oscar fought. floyd ducked.

Comment

• Floyd's ten best wins- Hernandez, Manfredy, Corrales, J. Chavez, Castillo (2), Judah, De La Hoya, Hatton, Mosley.

Oscar's ten best wins- Hernandez, J.C. Chavez (2), Whitaker, Camacho, Quartey, Gatti, Vargas, Campas, Mayorga.

Overall, I think Floyd's ten best wins came against more prime opposition. However, there's no doubt that Oscar took more risks throughout his career. In terms of the names that appear on his resume, wins and loses, I'd say that Oscar has the better resume.

Comment

• Those picking Oscar probably didn't begin watching boxing until he fought Hopkins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wukillabeez78 View Post
                    The perception going into the Mayweather/Mosley fight was that Mayweather was going to outbox him easily (which he did). You can't list Mosley as a challenging fight for Mayweather going into the fight.
                    http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Eric/Marks020810.htm

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/02...ver-mayweather

http://www.********boxing.com/news.php?p=22759&more=1

http://www.boxingscene.com/compubox-...-mosley--27393

http://www.elnuevoherald.com/2010/02...-lo-mejor.html (This is one is in Spanish, so you could see what was the perception going into the fight by other cultures)

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=5146915

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweathe...it-down--24797

And, last but not least our own, Cliff Rold picking Mosley to beat Floyd http://www.boxingscene.com/shane-mos...rt-card--27399

So please don't talk about perception when you're trying to re-write history.

Originally posted by Wukillabeez78 View Post
                    It ended up being a bit challenging during the fight because Mosley was able to land a few punches no one thought he'd be able to. Mosley was a challenging fight when he fought De La Hoya the first time because he was 35-0 with most of his wins by KO. The perception going into this fight was that it was a pretty even fight and the winner would be the best P4P fighter in the world (which is what Mosley was considered after beating De La Hoya).
                    No that was NOT the perception going into that bout. The perception was Oscar was cherrypicking a former LW, who up to that point looked like eh against journeymen WWs. That's why that fight was considered a pretty big upset at that time. Because, of what the perception was going into the bout.

Only two of his opponents were ever given a real chance by boxing critics to be a threat to Mayweather. They were Castillo II (because of how well he'd fought him the first time) and Corrales (Diego was 33-0 with good boxing skills and great KO power). No one else Mayweather has ever fought was considered a real threat going into the fight.
                    Well I proved this wrong already

He fought other good fighters who were capable of beating him if they had a great night (like Judah for instance) but he has never taken a fight where he was the betting underdog
                    So the fights where Pac is the favorite are not considered threats because they're the favorites? Do you know how odds work?

or was at a disavantage (going up in weight to fight a lineal champion).
                    You know what fight fits that criteria? The Baldomir fight, so please lets not use silly logic.

De La Hoya has fought ATG, HOF and other good fighters. This is an undeniable truth. Floyd has not done the same despite fighters being available who'd improve the quality of his resume. Floyd never fought the caliber of competition De La Hoya did when he was younger and certainly isn't doing it now that he's older.
                    Is not who but when.

The Fernando Vargas De La Hoya defeated was a beast who hated him and who was on steroids. Look at what he looked like, his body was spectacular http://www.flickr.com/photos/98773589@N00/3027713
                    And Floyd is scared to fight somebody because he "thinks" they're using steroids? Mayweather better grow some balls and knock out Pacquiao steroids or not, LOL...
                    No, not that version of Vargas, that's why I keep saying is not who but when.

When Vargas was looking like a beast Oscar didn't want to fight him. He said he didn't want to give Vargas that payday. Because, of all the disrespect. Once Vargas didn't look like a beast anymore, is when Oscar wanted to fight him. You know when Vargas was getting dropped by Rivera and looking ish against Shibata. Is not who but when.

Yes Vargas was on steroids but who's to say Oscar wasn't? Still has refuse to sign the waiver. Why is there a waiver in the first place? Hmmmmm......

Yea good try though but not really.

Comment

• oscar obviously.

Comment

Working...
                      X