Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can GGG ever surpass Floyd Mayweather on an ATG list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    I know mayweather did a lot of ducking and cherry picking. his last 20 fights were all totally in his favor before anything even began. but the 147 division just has more talent...even in a weak era like today.

sure he could ko ward which is a great win - but ward hasn't done much lately and it would slink down to just a good win in a few months.

even though floyd has a great record.. i dont think many will even talk about him much in years to come because of how carefully monitored his career was. the biggest risk this dude took was a fight with an aging de la hoya...and who the **** wouldn't take that fight - a fight he almost lost anyways.

dude had a prime Pacquiao sitting in front of him in the same weight class for 3 solid years and he made up a ton of bull**** to not fight the guy until he was struggling with guys like bradley and getting knocked out by Marquez - then he jumps in and squeaks out a mediocre decision at the tail end of his career.

Imagine if SRL vs Durans only fight was the 3rd fight?
    Mayweather was always carefully managed like you said but the cherry picking really started once he left Top Rank. There's a video of a prime Margarito approaching Floyd asking to fight him. Mayweather's answer was I'm making smart business decisions which really means chery picking/ducking and going after the biggest pay days instead of fighting other champions in their prime. Broner put Mayweather on blast saying how he told him to go after the biggest reward with the least risk.

After the Ricky Hatton fight he said, "I'm going to retire from the sport; I'm not going to let the sport retire me." His mind was never on being the best. He was shamed into fighting Pacquiao. People really overrate him here.

At the same time I can't really blame Mayweather. A lot of these boxers who fought the best can't even put a sentence together now.
    Last edited by punchr; 07-09-2016, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X