No announcement yet.

Calzaghe's top 3 wins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheJudge View Post
    Calzaghe usually gets hated on, but I think he is much better than he is credited to be. Yeah, he's no prime Roy Jones Jr., but he's still a high quality boxer. Let's look at his 3 best wins:

1. Mikkel Kessler by UD12
    Kessler was the 28 years old WBC and WBA champion, undefeated with a record of 39 wins, 29 by KO. Kessler proved throughout his career to be a quality boxer, scoring wins against guys like Anthony Mundine, Markus Beyer, Librado Andrade (undefeated), Dimitri Sartison (undefeated) and his best win: Carl Froch (undefeated on paper, despite technically having lost to Andre Dirrell). The only guys to ever beat Kessler, besides Calzaghe, were Andre Ward and Carl Froch (Kessler and Froch are 1-1 against each other, though). Kessler's qualities include huge punching power (he currently has 35 KOs in 46 wins, 76%), a solid chin (Kessler has never been knocked down or stopped in 49 fights) and good skills (which is obvious every time he fights). To defeat such a fighter when he is a young, hungry and undefeated champion is certainly a great accomplishment, making it Calzaghe's best win.

2. Bernard Hopkins by SD12
    The legendary Bernard Hopkins had a record of 48 wins, 32 by KO (66%), 4 losses (0 by KO), 1 draw and despite his age of 43, Hopkins is a "one-of-a-kind-special-case boxer" in the sense that he would keep being a quality boxer until he turned 50, which is an almost superhuman feat in boxing. Calzaghe came to USA (Hopkins' home country) and fought at light heavyweight for the first time (which was Hopkins' weight class). It was a close fight in which Hopkins knocked Calzaghe down in the first round, but Calzaghe managed to outwork him to a split decision. This was certainly a great win for Calzaghe and with everything taken into consideration, it is clearly his second best win.

3. Jeff Lacy by UD12
    Lacy was the young American IBF champion, undefeated with 21 wins, 17 by KO (81%!). Most people expected the talented and dangerous Lacy to win the fight, but Calzaghe gave him a brutal boxing lesson. So brutal that Lacy was never the same fighter again afterward. This was a great win and it is certainly worthy of being regarded as his third best win.
    Replace Hopkins with Roy Jones. Hopkins beat Calzaghe but got robbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Monaco View Post
      I remember when he completely humiliated America's sweatheart, Roy Jones Jr.
      Roy Jones was so diminished by that point it was not even funny. The cut above Roy's eye didn't help Roy too much either in that contest. I am not a Roy Jones fanboy but Calslappy did not beat Roy anywhere near his best. Roy Jones prior to his trip to Heavy Weight best Joe Calslappy in 6 rounds or less.

Comment

Id have Hopkins, Kessler, and Eubank.
        I know it certainly wasn't the best version of Eubank..but personally i'd have it there.
        Kessler was a dangerous fighter then, and the Hopkins fight for me was the right decision, against a tough, tricky fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
          Why do people jump screaming robbery when a guy like Hopkins throws 5 punches a round against a busy opponent who forces the action? Is that what you want to see? Low punch output round after round after round after round....WTF?

Clazaghe clearly deserved the win. Hopkins looked like an ass with his racial BS. And now he has lost to two white boys. Jackass.
          it was a robbery because he clearly won at least 6 rounds and had a knockdown. just watch the fight. in at least 6 rounds hopkins outlands calzaghe by such a wide margin that it wouldn't make sense to give them to calzaghe just for throwing more. why would you give the rounds to calzaghe because he missed? that just means hopkins has good defense(a scoring criteria) forcing the action is not a scoring criteria. maybe you could say he is winning ring generalship but again without clean punching and defense it's not really possible to give him rounds simply for coming forward(into punches)

Comment

Originally posted by chrismart83 View Post
            Id have Hopkins, Kessler, and Eubank.
            I know it certainly wasn't the best version of Eubank..but personally i'd have it there.
            Kessler was a dangerous fighter then, and the Hopkins fight for me was the right decision, against a tough, tricky fighter.
            was it the right decision because you wanted it to be the right decision? how do you give rounds to a guy when he's outlanded 4 to 1 like the judges did? maybe you thought calzaghe was landing when he really wasn't? only way to explain it. i could maybe see being fooled watching it live but going back and watching it again don't you see how he's missing and getting countered between his punches?

Comment

Working...
            X