No announcement yet.

Joe Calzaghe's Greatness

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
    hmm, I seem to remember Calzaghe falling down at some point in that fight.

perhaps there was a knockdown(or mostly push) that sent Calzaghe to the floor momentarily in that fight, that wasnt called a KD? Its been a while since Ive seen it, but I could have sworn I saw Calzaghe touch the canvas for a short while in that fight.
    No he didn't.

Comment

Calzaghe is only regarded as a great fighter in the UK, in the US or hell even in the rest of the world Calzaghe is a nobody... Don't get me wrong Calzaghe was a good fighter, very good infact but great... Hell No. His resume just isn't anywhere near good enough for him to count as a great fighter.

Calzaghe's resume isn't even better than Ricky Hatton's... The difference is, Hatton had the guts to go to America and fight the best while they where in their prime, unlike Calzaghe who waited until they where old and past prime.

Comment

Original and profound thread. Dont think anyone has ever said that before.

Anyway...Calzaghe was one of the best fighters of his era, that is without question.

Comment

Originally posted by Morales_ View Post
          Calzaghe lost to Hopkins, even the british media had it as a hopkins win. Enzo was like we need a KO in the last round as well.
          Meldrick Taylors corner told him they needed the last rd to win against Chavez...means nothing.

Comment

Setanta scored for Calzaghe, only 1 scored for Hopkins if I recall, the British media also thought Haye lost to Valuev. Only because they were scared they would get robbed.

Comment

Originally posted by boxasmash View Post
              Setanta scored for Calzaghe, only 1 scored for Hopkins if I recall, the British media also thought Haye lost to Valuev. Only because they were scared they would get robbed.
              i still can't believe people think hopkins won that fight.

you can't win a fight not throwing punches!

Comment

Lacy was also a very good win at the time,hindsight is a wonderful thing but most people(Even in Britain)Thought Calzaghe was going to be knocked out with ease.
                James Toney,Roy Jones and loads of American journalists gave Joe Calzaghe no chance so his one sided rape is a very good win.
                Lacy was being talked about as the mini Mike Tyson and future star of American Boxing before Joe took his soul.

Comment

Originally posted by boxasmash View Post
                  Jim Watt does not equal the entire British media.

Comment

Originally posted by >Right Jab< View Post
                    I often hear him called a ATG & argubaly Britians best ever fighter.

But the one thing that hurts Calzaghe is this.

For 8 years Calzaghe defended the paper WBO title in homeland, leaving just once. Against extremly sub par fighters etc Branko Sobot, Will McIntyre, Miguel Angel Jimenez, Tocker Pudwill, Mger Mkrtchyan, Kabary Salem, Evans Ashira.

Come on for the most part, these fighters were never heard of again. This tell's me there IS ALOT of padding on that record.

His win over Lacy was impressive, but again Jeff never went on to do anything, and now has just been used as a punching pag for a washed Roy Jones.

He beat washed up versions of Eubank, Jones Jr & Hopkins. And yet was still dropped in all 3 fights, even when all 3 were shells of themselves.

His most impressive win is most likely Kessler, who although is a good fighter, is saying alot.

His record is impressive, but if he would of took more risks, fought great prime fighters and fought more out of his homeland, it is highly unlikely that record would be intact.

For 90% of his career he always fought in his homeland, and for the most part continued to defend that paper title. It hurts his legacy.

He was a damn good fighter, but Joe Calzaghe ATG? Come on now, tags like that should just be left for fighters lile Robinson, Armstrong, Langford, Louis, Ali, Greb, Walker, etc.
                    Lacy didn't go on to do anything because Calzaghe ruined him, Lacy's corner should have thrown in the towel around the 6th round. Lacy was an undefeated belt holder with good power who the "mini-Tyson" monicker. No one was giving Calzaghe a chance in that fight.

Kessler was also an undefeated champion with excellent power, he obviously fell off but Ward was fighting a 2nd rate version of Kessler and not the same version that Calzaghe was fighting.

He clearly beat Hopkins even though he was dropped, if Hopkings didn't hold and roll around the floor for 10 minutes crying about a non-existent low blow, Calzaghe would have KOd him.

The fact that he fought in his home country for 90% of the time does nothing to diminish his legacy - BHop fought more than 90% of his fights in the US and most US fighters aren't really willing to travel either. If the money is bigger at home than on the road and you are the champion, why would you want to leave?

He was an undefeated fighter with 46 wins and 10 years. He unified at super-middle and defended his title 21 times (I think), I believe this tied for either 2nd or 3rd in boxing history in any weight for the number of defenses.

He is an ATG and GOAT when it comes to 168, I don't think we'll see a greater fighter than him in this division in our lifetime.

Comment

100% agree with the TS.

barely beat an old Hopkins. Had no power. Beat a washed up Jones Jr who even floored him. His best win is Mikkel Kessler who is only good too, nothing great.

Other then that who did he beat? Old ass Eubanks, Bika, Manfredo, and Lacey. Nothing to be proud of.

A good fighter, but nothing great. ATG? Get the **** out of here unless your going to get off the drugs. HOFer probably though.

Comment

Working...
                      X