Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best 3 Year Period

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrera was fire from 2000 to 2003, got wrecked by Pacquiao, and still continued to be fire all the way up until around 2006.

Hell of a run and resume

Comment

Holmes and Camacho had pretty damn good three year runs, and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
        There was this former featherweight guy that beat Cotto, Canelo, Maidana and Pacquiao from May 2012 till May 2015 in his late 30s.

Roy Jones beat Bernard Hopkins and James Toney at 2 different weight classes within 1 year.

Ray Leonard beat Wilfred Benitez, Roberto Duran and Thomas Hearns within 2 years.

Mike McCallum beat Julian Jackson, Donald Curry and Herold Graham in 3 years.

Danny Garcia beat Khan, Matthysse and Peterson from 2012 till 2015.

The list is way too long!
        Wtf made you put this guy on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by watchayouhead View Post
          Holmes and Camacho had pretty damn good three year runs, and then some.
          Time period? Opponents faced? Championships won?

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
          Lol admittedly DG is not in the upper tier of best 3 year runs but there was a time when he did well, although I think the poster is pretty new to the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
            Barrera was fire from 2000 to 2003, got wrecked by Pacquiao, and still continued to be fire all the way up until around 2006.

Hell of a run and resume
            I know, if I'm gettin my timing right (cba to check boxrec just now) he went on to beat Morales 1 more time and had those pretty underrated Juarez bouts. I feel losing to JMM and Pac back to back was it for him.

Comment

Mike Tyson from 86-89

-Trevor Berbick (WBC champ)
              -James Smith (WBA champ)
              -Pinklon Thomas
              -Tony Tucker (IBF champ)
              -Tyrell Biggs
              -Larry Holmes
              -Tony Tubbs
              -Michael Spinks (Lineal champ)
              -Frank Bruno
              -Carl Williams

10 wins (9 Kos) - 0 losses - 0 draws

lost to Buster Douglas the next year.

One hell of a 3 years.

Could do with a stint like that in the current HW scene

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                Didn't say he's comparable to the rest I was listing impressive runs that I can recall.

While I'm at it I can also mention some more:

Andre Ward beat Miranda, Kessler, Bika, Froch and Dawson from 2009 till 2012

James Toney beat Mike McCallum, Michael Nunn and Iran Barkley from 91 till 93

Michael Nunn beat Tate, Kalambay, Starling and Curry from 88 till 93

Most of the intensive short period runs against top elite opponents took place in the modern era of boxing, exceptions are of course SRR and Henry Armstrong who was a champ in 3 weight divisions at the same time at the time where boxing only had 8, so that guy almost owned half the weight divisions. Back in the day fighters would take 5-10 tune ups between fights untill there was a rematch or something and that's why it'd hard to find such intensive runs with fighters pre 1960.

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
                  Didn't say he's comparable to the rest I was listing impressive runs that I can recall.

While I'm at it I can also mention some more:

Andre Ward beat Miranda, Kessler, Bika, Froch and Dawson from 2009 till 2012

James Toney beat Mike McCallum, Michael Nunn and Iran Barkley from 91 till 93

Michael Nunn beat Tate, Kalambay, Starling and Curry from 88 till 93

Most of the intensive short period runs against top elite opponents took place in the modern era of boxing, exceptions are of course SRR and Henry Armstrong who was a champ in 3 weight divisions at the same time at the time where boxing only had 8, so that guy almost owned half the weight divisions. Back in the day fighters would take 5-10 tune ups between fights untill there was a rematch or something and that's why it'd hard to find such intensive runs with fighters pre 1960.
                  It really isn't. Nunns run isnt exactly intensive btw but its solid quality.

Thing is, a run of 3 or 4 fights isn't as jaw dropping and seeing guys have around 10 or more fights in what is a short period of time and consistently facing top guys.

Archie Moore probably had 2 or 3, 3 year periods of excellent fights, ranging from the 40s to the early 50s. One of his best and most iconic runs probably came from 54-57, which included 2 shots at the heavyweight title and a string of victories against some of the top fighters of the day, including Maxim, Olson and Johnson.

Similarly we could talk about Moore's great adversary, Charles, who had an astounding run from 49-52, winning and defending a version of the heavyweight title and with victories over 4 HOFers.

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                  Mike Tyson from 86-89

-Trevor Berbick (WBC champ)
                  -James Smith (WBA champ)
                  -Pinklon Thomas
                  -Tony Tucker (IBF champ)
                  -Tyrell Biggs
                  -Larry Holmes
                  -Tony Tubbs
                  -Michael Spinks (Lineal champ)
                  -Frank Bruno
                  -Carl Williams

10 wins (9 Kos) - 0 losses - 0 draws

lost to Buster Douglas the next year.

One hell of a 3 years.

Could do with a stint like that in the current HW scene
                  Impressive run, if only for teh sheer dominance of Tyson. He annihilated most of those guys and looked absolutely unbeatable.

Comment

how is pacquiao not mentioned in this thread he had by far the greatest run we will see in our lifetimes spanning across 7 or 8 weight divisions

Morales 3 times
                    JMM 4 times
                    Barrera 2 times
                    Hatton
                    DLH
                    Cotto
                    Marg
                    Mosley
                    Bradley 3 times (all wins)

lets be real here...we will Never see this type of run again in our lives

Comment

Originally posted by revs1227 View Post
                      how is pacquiao not mentioned in this thread he had by far the greatest run we will see in our lifetimes spanning across 7 or 8 weight divisions

Morales 3 times
                      JMM 4 times
                      Barrera 2 times
                      Hatton
                      DLH
                      Cotto
                      Marg
                      Mosley
                      Bradley 3 times (all wins)

lets be real here...we will Never see this type of run again in our lives
                      Considering that run spans 13 years rather than 3, and the title of the thread is 3 year run. Plus the fact Pac was already mentioned?

Comment

Working...
                      X