Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the purpose of the Olympics allowing Pro-Boxers to compete with Amateur?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the purpose of the Olympics allowing Pro-Boxers to compete with Amateur?

I understand why Pro Basketball players were allowed, it was because other countries didn't have collegiate players, and many of those countries had pro players or teams so they had to allow pros, it also gave USA an unfair advantage since we tend to have the top players in the world in numbers.

But boxing makes no sense to me, why Allow pros and why remove headgear? Amateur boxing is more popular than pro boxing around the globe, meaning they have amateur boxing in almost every country, there is no shortage of am fighters so whats the deal with this decision?

I makes no sense unless they are trying to bring ratings to Olympics and more money? Its basically going to be a 3 round pro fight, with no head gear, headgear is to protect from cuts so fighters can advance, without having to bow out to a cut injury, so I am guessing they will just bandage up the wound and let them continue fighting if they suffer a cut from a punch or butt?

These dude are risking cuts and gashes and for what? They ain't even getting paid.

Comment

Improve attendance and viewership.

Comment

Be good crack I'd love to see them in the Olympics

Comment

Originally posted by Cogitation7 View Post
          These dude are risking cuts and gashes and for what? They ain't even getting paid.
          Exactly. Im still wondering why they are allowing pros to box, there is really no reason to, the Amateur game is strong in other countries

Comment

The best of every sport should be competing at the Olympics, it's the biggest sporting event in the world. If every country is allowed to send their best fighters it'll be mostly pros at the event and great fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
              The best of every sport should be competing at the Olympics, it's the biggest sporting event in the world. If every country is allowed to send their best fighters it'll be mostly pros at the event and great fights.
              Exactly this. Olympic boxing really has little prestige, unless its carried over into the pro's as pre-career hype..

It just means the amateur world championship would become the marquee amateur competition, and thats the way it should be

Comment

Good point but it could also cause humiliation if a pro would lose to an Amateur, but that Amateur would become a superstar.

A lot of variables. Im curious to see how it looks, is this Olympics going to remove the headgear or is it for the next one?

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
                  Exactly this. Olympic boxing really has little prestige, unless its carried over into the pro's as pre-career hype..

It just means the amateur world championship would become the marquee amateur competition, and thats the way it should be
                  Yep. The Olympics to me should mean the best competing against the best. How it even become the best unpaid or more realistically stipend paid athletes competing against each other is beyond me.

Watching the best amateurs rings of watching the top 14-15 year olds playing basketball. Why wouldn't you wanna see NBA-caliber & other pro league guys from other countries play if you wanna watch the best people playing basketball?

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                    Good point but it could also cause humiliation if a pro would lose to an Amateur, but that Amateur would become a superstar.
                    This is why I don't see a lot of pros doing this. Losing in the Olympics would hurt your career. Losses are already devastating to a fighters career as is.

Comment

Working...
                    X