No announcement yet.

the internet and boxing hype

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the internet and boxing hype

Do you think the internet is to blame for the crazy hype surrounding many fighters? Today everyone can express an opinion and the hard truth is most don't know what they're talking about. It gets worse because others echo these opinions and THEY don't know what they're talking about. Fighters are proclaimed the next great thing because they're flashy or have a good knockout on their record. Fighters need to get back to being developed and gaining experience before being unfairly touted as "the next great thing". Sadly I don't see this happening as the net is here to stay and promoters will continue to feed off gullible fans. As a whole I think boxing was much better off when a fighter actually had to prove himself before greatness was bestowed upon him. Just my to cents.
    Yes
    57.14%
    No
    42.86%

The poll is expired.

Nah when it comes to boxing, the medium that has the most influence on the fans is still television. Mainstream fans don't go on the internet to discuss boxing, they just tweet about it and watch some highlights on youtube. The real problem is those networks who keep trying to push certain fighters down our throats, they try so hard to create stars that they lost all objectivity, and when those fighters get exposed it makes them AND the networks look bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
      Nah when it comes to boxing, the medium that has the most influence on the fans is still television. Mainstream fans don't go on the internet to discuss boxing, they just tweet about it and watch some highlights on youtube. The real problem is those networks who keep trying to push certain fighters down our throats, they try so hard to create stars that they lost all objectivity, and when those fighters get exposed it makes them AND the networks look bad.

Thing is, television could never push a product if it wasn't being talked about by every person who thought they knew what they were talking about. They're just taking advantage of the situation. Very rarely before the internet were there fighters hyped for super stardom before actually accomplishing things against viable opponents. Ray Leonard was hyped from the word GO, but he still worked his way up and it panned out. Pete Radamacher was given a title shot in his pro debut after winning Olympic gold and it didn't. My point being.....fighters need time to develop and neither the inter or television for that matter are helping.

Comment

boxing needs internet exposure and hype.

Comment

Originally posted by Panginoon View Post
          boxing needs internet exposure and hype.
          The sport as a whole does, not every fighter who shows some pizzazz or power though. That just leads to disappointment and ridicule.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Thing is, television could never push a product if it wasn't being talked about by every person who thought they knew what they were talking about. They're just taking advantage of the situation. Very rarely before the internet were there fighters hyped for super stardom before actually accomplishing things against viable opponents. Ray Leonard was hyped from the word GO, but he still worked his way up and it panned out. Pete Radamacher was given a title shot in his pro debut after winning Olympic gold and it didn't. My point being.....fighters need time to develop and neither the inter or television for that matter are helping.
            I think it's the other way around. Casuals see a guy on TV whoop on some bum, the commentators praise the guy, Casuals then go on the internet to watch other fights on youtube and leave comments like "Future P4P king". And then the hype train gets derailed. It all starts with TV. And most networks are on the net as well, they're taking advantage of the social networks to push their products to an even greater audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
              I think it's the other way around. Casuals see a guy on TV whoop on some bum, the commentators praise the guy, Casuals then go on the internet to watch other fights on youtube and leave comments like "Future P4P king". And then the hype train gets derailed. It all starts with TV. And most networks are on the net as well, they're taking advantage of the social networks to push their products to an even greater audience.
              Of course it starts with TV, but the net lets it get taken to unrealistic levels. Khan is a perfect example. Before the net he would have just been a good young prospect with potential. Because of the net he was made into a false superstar EVEN after being previously exposed.
              Last edited by JAB5239; 07-15-2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X