Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rigondeaux appearance on Miami Tv show (spanish)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    Thanks for posting that link, bro! Wow! That pumped me up! I'm a big film buff. I really appreciate things like editing, musical choice, cinematography, etc. This looks like a quality production. I recognized some of the voices lauding Rigondeaux, but not others. The director of the film obviously wants to make it clear that Guillermo is special. (And I agree.)

(On a side note, it pains me to see footage of my beloved homeland, allowed to rot by Castro and his regime. Cuba was the "Pearl of the Antilles" [as Columbus called her] in colonial times and "America's Playground" before Fidel. She was a vibrant land of beauty and culture, now barely clinging to fading glory.)
    i actually prefer the original trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ZVbgDG67Q
    can't wait for the film. it is being edited and finished off now, just funds holding it back a little. it will be a quality piece of work. the director has boxed himself and spent a fair bit of time in cuba training, so you know, he has an actual good understanding of the sport from the inside, which is pretty unusual for a director.

i understand what you're saying about how Cuba is now, and i wouldn't want to tell you about your homeland, but i lived in la Habana for a year, studying and serving an apprenticeship as a boxing coach and i think it is still a very beautiful place- physically and materially things need a real lot of work obviously, but culturally things are great, there is definite beauty in that sense. the boxing system there, bueno, es algo bonito.
    in it's context, compared to other latin american and caribbean countries, and given it's resources and problems, i think Cuba does pretty good you know.

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
      i actually prefer the original trailer:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ZVbgDG67Q
      can't wait for the film. it is being edited and finished off now, just funds holding it back a little. it will be a quality piece of work. the director has boxed himself and spent a fair bit of time in cuba training, so you know, he has an actual good understanding of the sport from the inside, which is pretty unusual for a director.

i understand what you're saying about how Cuba is now, and i wouldn't want to tell you about your homeland, but i lived in la Habana for a year, studying and serving an apprenticeship as a boxing coach and i think it is still a very beautiful place- physically and materially things need a real lot of work obviously, but culturally things are great, there is definite beauty in that sense. the boxing system there, bueno, es algo bonito.
      in it's context, compared to other latin american and caribbean countries, and given it's resources and problems, i think Cuba does pretty good you know.
      Thanks again! Watching all these trailers is making me very pumped for the film!

There was a little snippet in this version where Ronnie Shields opines that Rigo "has the best footwork he's seen since Mohammad Ali." Is that true? It's Ronnie's opinion. And whether he's right or not, just having your footwork being compared with a legend known for his footwork is extremely high praise.

Guillermo obviously has a lot to live up to. When people hear all the hype, they expect something out-of-this-world. He is extraordinary, but fans unfamiliar with him tend to expect things that are probably a touch unrealistic. I've said many times that I believe Rigo is finding his way as a professional. I stand by that. I think Guillermo is learning, in steps, that pro boxing fans expect a certain kind of excitement, a certain kind of fight. He has all the tools to deliver the show.

As for Cuba, thanks for sharing your personal experiences. They mean a lot to me. I like to gather various views and opinions. Everyone sees the world through a different prism. I know that there's great intellectual, cultural and creative vibrancy among the people. But, just speaking from a man-made, physical standpoint, the Cuban infrastructure appears to be in horrible decay. There are so many colonial-era buildings that are literally rotting, without anyone caring to (or being able to) stop it. Those buildings are an integral part of the island's heritage and historical beauty. Once they're gone, they're gone. I resent that. I can't express my feelings any other way.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Thanks again! Watching all these trailers is making me very pumped for the film!

There was a little snippet in this version where Ronnie Shields opines that Rigo "has the best footwork he's seen since Mohammad Ali." Is that true? It's Ronnie's opinion. And whether he's right or not, just having your footwork being compared with a legend known for his footwork is extremely high praise.

Guillermo obviously has a lot to live up to. When people hear all the hype, they expect something out-of-this-world. He is extraordinary, but fans unfamiliar with him tend to expect things that are probably a touch unrealistic. I've said many times that I believe Rigo is finding his way as a professional. I stand by that. I think Guillermo is learning, in steps, that pro boxing fans expect a certain kind of excitement, a certain kind of fight. He has all the tools to deliver the show.

As for Cuba, thanks for sharing your personal experiences. They mean a lot to me. I like to gather various views and opinions. Everyone sees the world through a different prism. I know that there's great intellectual, cultural and creative vibrancy among the people. But, just speaking from a man-made, physical standpoint, the Cuban infrastructure appears to be in horrible decay. There are so many colonial-era buildings that are literally rotting, without anyone caring to (or being able to) stop it. Those buildings are an integral part of the island's heritage and historical beauty. Once they're gone, they're gone. I resent that. I can't express my feelings any other way.
        yeah, i think what you say about rigondeaux is bang right. he is something special and of very high quality, but he needs to have his career. i have no doubt he will be as successful as he is allowed to be (in terms whether he can actually get the fights etc), but the conflict a lot of people are having is between what skill he has and what empirically he has done as a pro. time will tell, and i imagine it will be a favourable tale.

re: Cuba, what is happening/ has happened there is something that people can debate til the end of time and still not agree, i'm not talking about my view and yours here, just in general. the best piece of advice i can give for anyone interested in the island- have as open a mind as possible and try to put the various pieces of the puzzle together. there's many different angles to look at it from, ultimately i guess a lot of it comes down to personality. i had a great time living there because my life revolved around two things whilst i was there- education and sport, uni and boxing. if you involve yourself in such things it is a very rich experience. however the girl i went with just took spanish classes and didn't really have any hobbies etc, and she found it real hard because she wanted a more material based lifestyle to compensate, and cuba isn't really the place for it...

Comment

Working...
        X