Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If there was a prime Ukrainian Mike Tyson today. Will he be popular in Uk and USA?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fire and Fear View Post
    If the Klitschko's were a little more entertaining, they'd be bigger stars here.
    Agree. That's the point.

Comment

Yes, people were amazed by this kid beating these men that had been fighting for years and he was doing it so easily. The media went into overdrive and people that had no interest in boxing wanted to see this kid in action. Every kid in the playground, every person at the pub knew and were talking about Mike Tyson.

Comment

Of course he would be popular. If you're exciting and you beat top fighters then you'll become a star, regardless of your nationality. Ask Pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by THE LARRY View Post
          Thats because he wasn't American,yes nationality matters to certain people,which i do not understand why
          Says the American whose favorite fighter is an American. It's only natural.

Originally posted by cawadoody View Post
          Agreed. For some reason some Americans just don't appreciate boxers that come from the UK, or all of Europe for that matter. Just look at the Klits.
          I don't really believe that. Many Americans enjoyed watching Khan, Hamed and Hatton fight for example. The Klitschkos, as much as I respect their ability, are just a special sort of boring (although if they were American they would still be huge stars there).

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
          Of course he would be popular. If you're exciting and you beat top fighters then you'll become a star, regardless of your nationality. Ask Pacquiao.
          I agree, and it goes for most countries. If there was a Ukrainian Tyson he would be popular everywhere.
          Last edited by Weebler I; 11-13-2012, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Look at how big Pacman is. There is no reason a Mike Tyson from another country could not be big in USA

Comment

No way in hell!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fire and Fear View Post
                If the Klitschko's were a little more entertaining, they'd be bigger stars here.
                They both have over 80% KOs. What's the reason to watch HW boxing? To see motherfuckers get knocked out. It's where they come from that's a curse to western media/fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                  They both have over 80% KOs. What's the reason to watch HW boxing? To see motherfuckers get knocked out. It's where they come from that's a curse to western media/fans.
                  Not at all it's the 8,9,10 rounds of jab and grab that diminishes all the excitement you had, by the time the KO comes you're just glad it's over.

Comment

The Klitschkos hardly ever fight in the US. That's a massive part of it. I don't blame them either. They fight in Germany/Switzerland, and sometimes in Ukraine/Russia.

You'll never get a foreign Heavyweight to be popular in the US, as much as Tyson. The Heavyweights are the marquee division, it attracts a different audience than do the smaller divisions.

If you're going to go along the excitement argument, how do you explain Vitali's poor respect in the US after the Lewis fight? He had a great knockout of Johnson, and an awesome war with the late Sanders. Yet he never got the respect Lewis did, whys that?

I honestly feel people are twisting arguments to make the US seem less nationalist towards sport. It's just part of the culture. I spend half of my life there, there is a major difference between the US and Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
                      nowhere near as big as Tyson
                      Man, that's truly shocking. You're telling me an ATG American heavyweight was more popular in the US than an ATG British heavyweight? No way! Get out of here man! That's totally out of this world dude!

Comment

Working...
                      X