No announcement yet.

Canelo Alvarez: "I wanted Sergio Martinez but my team said no"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2shameless View Post
    You seriously think Jr will be 190+ on fight night?
    He'll be 180+. Sergio rehydrates to 164/165.

Comment

I believe that's a lie. I don't see logically how a fighter willing to face Sergio Martinez would duck his entire division when none of those guys are as dangerous as Martinez. That makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
        He'll be 180+. Sergio rehydrates to 164/165.
        Martinez will be more than 165 for this fight and even 180-165 is not 20+ pounds. The 10+ lb diff will be more than made up for by the skill differential and by Sergio not having to kill himself to make weight.

Also curious as to where you get this 180+ lb figure for Chavez.

Comment

Martinez will be more than 165 for this fight and even 180-165 is not 20+ pounds. The 10+ lb diff will be more than made up for by the skill differential and by Sergio not having to kill himself to make weight.
          I said 180+, could be somewhere between 180 and 185. How do you know Sergio will come in heavier than usual? Nothing indicates that.

Of course Martinez is still going to whoop that ass. I'm just saying TR only took this fight because of the size advantage.

Comment

I said 180+, could be somewhere between 180 and 185. How do you know Sergio will come in heavier than usual? Nothing indicates that.

Of course Martinez is still going to whoop that ass. I'm just saying TR only took this fight because of the size advantage.
            When has Chavez ever come into the ring at 185? He was probably about 175 against Lee and even that level of draining was obvious in his performance for the first few rounds.

Comment

When has Chavez ever come into the ring at 185? He was probably about 175 against Lee and even that level of draining was obvious in his performance for the first few rounds.
              He came in at 181 against Rubio. He's having more and more trouble making weight because he's outgrown the division, it will probably be his last middleweight fight so it's not unreasonable to assume he'll be somewhere between 180 and 185 against Sergio. Even if he comes in lighter than that, there will still be a significant size advantage, are you trying to deny it?

Comment

the report is accoirding to a esnews aka elie eschback interview so you know its on video anyone seen it. I have a feeling it lost a lil something in translation.

Comment

He came in at 181 against Rubio. He's having more and more trouble making weight because he's outgrown the division, it will probably be his last middleweight fight so it's not unreasonable to assume he'll be somewhere between 180 and 185 against Sergio. Even if he comes in lighter than that, there will still be a significant size advantage, are you trying to deny it?
                  I think making up numbers to justify your "20+ lb weight difference" statement is foolish and unnecessary.

And if Chavez indeed weight drains himself over 25lb to make weight (as you claim he will, though he has never done previously,) then he'll have zero chance to beat Sergio. Santos' terrible performance against Yuri Foreman comes to mind.
                  Last edited by 2shameless; 07-31-2012, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I think making up numbers to justify your 20+ weight difference is foolish.
                    What's foolish is you trying to diminish the fact that Jr is a light heavy hiding at 160. Even if 20 lbs was an exaggeration, the point is TR only took the fight because of the size advantage.

Comment

“I wanted Sergio Martinez, but my team said it was a style that wouldn’t appeal to fans. We want to give the fans a fight to enjoy.”http://bit.ly/QaVvO9
                      last time i checked, Maravilla has been in A LOT of fan friendly fights! i call BS

Comment

Working...
                      X